Some reasons why we are top of the league

Finny

Edinburgh beating arena teams is nothing new. Hull often won against the odds too, bad example. Havent coventry and braehead both gassed players for not living up to expectations? Weve all been disappointed with rosehill and big ern?

Weve even criticised our own, ulmer, bordy and doucet earlier in the season.
Whilst that is true, it's not addressing the point in question.
One or two players not living up to expectation doesn't mean the standard hasn't increased. In fact, it could argue the opposite. Players who were expected to be standouts are not doing so because the standard has increased so much.

Devil_Abroad

Edinburgh beating arena teams is nothing new. Hull often won against the odds too, bad example. Havent coventry and braehead both gassed players for not living up to expectations? Weve all been disappointed with rosehill and big ern?

Weve even criticised our own, ulmer, bordy and doucet earlier in the season.
As the quality throughout the league increases then clubs who previously would have expected great 'numbers' from new players from other leagues are now not seeing it.

If a club is struggling for points then eventually the coach may want new players as one way to change things. This doesn't mean the whole league is worse - it means it's better.

And another thing about player point production - it's easier to put point up if there's only one great line, or maybe two good lines - they get all the ice time.

Now we're playing 4 line hockey, the scoring is spread, there are more players for special teams etc etc etc. If the club is averaging 6 goals a game now the 6 goals across four lines means less points than 6 goals across 1 1/2 or 2 lines previously.

The only way to compare how well the league is progressing is to look at where the new players have played and their contribution to their teams in that league.

Otherwise, arrange a tournament pre-season and invite an AHL team and an SHL team to play against us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KaneDevils

Whilst that is true, it's not addressing the point in question.
One or two players not living up to expectation doesn't mean the standard hasn't increased. In fact, it could argue the opposite. Players who were expected to be standouts are not doing so because the standard has increased so much.
Well it kind of is as these so called upgrades havent been deemed good enough. Im just trying to back up my viewpoint. Im hearing you, but continue to disagree. I dont buy the fact nottingham, coventry and braehead, and to a degree belfast, arent doing well because dundee, fife and manchester are stronger than ever. I just dont see that.
And just because a player has played ahl doesnt mean hes an upgrade on a player who hasnt. Only on paper. What level had mccrae, michel, culligan etc played at?

Electro

It's still a team sport, Crosby needs quality players around him to be able to shine, a few NHLers are not going to win you the league. Cardiff was described by Simms as buying the league, so yes budget wise on paper we have greatly improved signings.

For the team to be an upgrade you also need to use those players to the maximum, in training, in games etc etc.

Sheffield, Nottingham are not, many teams are having issues in periods, Cardiff included. It's been stated a few times that "Cardiff played badly, the sign of a great team is to still come out with a win" to a point that is true if the other team played well, not, as has been the case, that opposing team also played badly. That's just luck.

Improvements within the league compared to previous years can still easily mean that Cardiff is top of the league because the rest are crap in comparison to Cardiff. If the other teams are not exploiting there talent, didn't spend as much, have dressing room egos or just don't fit the teams style, they may be on paper better players, but still crap.

Take Ronaldo playing for Portugal as an example, in Madrid, major talented, world stage though complete waste of time.

Whilst the NHL is as we all know takes talent, but for me the EIHL requires a more rounded set of skills, I'd say some NHLers who have not shined in the UK or in Europe is because there skill is limited.

DevilDom

I love that Electro can start an argument on any thread no matter how positive it sets out to be! That is some talent to have. I wonder if they were in an empty room they would start an argument with themself?

Electro

I love that Electro can start an argument on any thread no matter how positive it sets out to be! That is some talent to have. I wonder if they were in an empty room they would start an argument with themself?
Has been know, usually the door gets its revenge as l pass through.

I know it's always better to have the points on the board but should Edinburgh win all their games in hand they would go 5th. If they can avoid their post Christmas money/ player retention problems they may better their usual 10th from 10. Stranger things have happened.
Wannabe, you keep posting whatever you like fella. In the early 90s when we first started watching, your enthusiasm stood out. In a crowd of over 2000 in the W.N.I.R. you were always in our field of vision and the way you were immersed in the game made us wonder what you were seeing that we hadn't picked up on. It didn't take us long to spot it though. After the break we took to get married & have kids you were one of the first people to talk to us after 10 years and it was like we had never been away. Everyone knows what you did for SORAC, so I'm not going to blow smoke up your ass or bore everybody any more with it but I can't help thinking that were your enthusiasm for the Devil's not as passionate as it is, it may have been easier for you to walk away after one of the many kicks in the bollocks from various parties and concede defeat. You didn't stop then so don't stop now mate. Keep the faith fella. Happy Hockey Days!

KaneDevils

weather Portugal are euro champions isn't relevant to the point. For Madrid Ronald is massive for Portugal he isn't. He rarely even plays well. The key player for them at the euro's was Sanchez. A teenager. He was excellent and now plays for bayern Munich, one of the best club sides in world football.

Finny

Yes we're now way off topic, but this thread is brilliant. Instead of KaneDevils and Electro just admitting they are wrong they continue to dig themselves into it deeper and deeper.
Of course Ronaldo isn't massive for Portugal. If you ignore the fact he's their record appearance holder and record goal scorer. And ignore the fact he's the Euro's top goalscorer of all time.
The key player for Portugal was Sanches? Really? That's impressive seeing as he didn't start any of their first 4 games.

But hey, what do I know. In fact, what do any of us know compared to you two. If you ask any player whose been in the EIHL for a number of seasons they all say the standard is at it's highest now. You'd expect the players to be the best judge of this but I guess they should bow to the superior knowledge or you two. Heck, you two don't even need to go to games to know how good or bad the EIHL is now.
That's impressive.

KaneDevils

Yet again your arrogance shines through. Ronaldo under performs for his nation, a view shared by many a pundit and expert.
We're wrong yet you have stopped arguing your point.
And how on earth do you know how many games I've been too?

KaneDevils

Yet again your arrogance shines through. Ronaldo under performs for his nation, a view shared by many a pundit and expert.
Renato sanches was also voted best young player of the tournament and was dubbed "the one to watch" in the final, no less.
Did you constantly hear the commentators and pundits mocking ronaldo for failing to score direct from a free kick for his country in like 60/70 attempts? Also for his constant whining every time he didn't receive the ball. Maybe you didn't watch as many games as I did?

Finny

Under-performs how? He's their record goal scorer. He led them to the Euro Championships title. He scores on average a goal every two games.

I haven't stopped arguing my point. There's not much else I can add without repeating myself.

How many games have you been to this season then?

Electro

Didn't Ronaldo watch Portugal win the final in what many believe was there best performance against a team that was as competitive as them. Before there 2016 success Portugal had never won a major title.

KaneDevils

Ronaldo has been much criticised for his performances for his nation, on countless occasions. Not just by myself, but pundits, commentators and ex pros etc. It's easy for a player to do nothing in a game, and then step up to take a 90th minute penalty, and look like the hero.

Electro

Some say Portugal in the Euros suffered from or benefited, depending your viewpoint from the Ewing effect. Happened to the Flyers in 2000 Conference semis, when they lost Lindros to injury.

What has this to do with us, well it seems some cannot understand that being the best has as much to do with the quality of your competition as it does your own performance.

KaneDevils

Also stats can be misleading. For example, Wayne rooneys scoring record for england. Seems impressive until you scratch the surface, then, not quite so.