Some reasons why we are top of the league

kettdevil1

I preffered the record breaking team. My opinion, so I'm not wrong. Some may agree, some won't. I don't care. I do remember early season fans on here saying they hadn't yet felt entertained, so maybe I'm not alone. We've been winning whilst not playing well, which is great, but not so much on the eye.

Devildom, stop trolling mate. Finny doesn't like it.
Thanks

I am presuming this was the team that you were talking about http://www.eliteprospects.com/team.php?team=205&year0=2011

The comparison is interesting but for me Bowns and Murdy are a much tandem than Lyle and Myers and I would rate the defence in a similar vein. I would rate the Hothams considerably above the Smiths and after that (bar Adams who was under rated I always felt as a D Man), the current team has a significant edge.

Up front it is fascinating to look back. Weller, Maxi, Stu, Pelle and Matzka would hold their own in the current team but after that I would give 2016-17 a significant edge in both skill and depth. Bordy rather than Voth and Brine rather than Michel for me and when we start to compare the fourth line my view is that it would be a cricket score if you put them against each other.

KaneDevils

Thanks

I am presuming this was the team that you were talking about http://www.eliteprospects.com/team.php?team=205&year0=2011

The comparison is interesting but for me Bowns and Murdy are a much tandem than Lyle and Myers and I would rate the defence in a similar vein. I would rate the Hothams considerably above the Smiths and after that (bar Adams who was under rated I always felt as a D Man), the current team has a significant edge.

Up front it is fascinating to look back. Weller, Maxi, Stu, Pelle and Matzka would hold their own in the current team but after that I would give 2016-17 a significant edge in both skill and depth. Bordy rather than Voth and Brine rather than Michel for me and when we start to compare the fourth line my view is that it would be a cricket score if you put them against each other.
If I may, I will disagree. I felt the team of 10/11 were more entertaining, better to watch. I'd take Michel over brine, and voth over bordy all day long. I would agree with you re; the netminders. As for the cricket score, I can only assume your tongue is firmly lodged into the side of your cheek. Weller, For me a better player than anyone on our current roster. As I've said before, with the exception of fife and probably Manchester, all the other teams have had better rosters in the past.

That's my opinion. Hope that's ok with the inferno police?

Last edited:

kettdevil1

If I may, I will disagree. I felt the team of 10/11 were more entertaining, better to watch. I'd take Michel over brine, and voth over bordy all day long. I would agree with you re; the netminders. As for the cricket score, I can only assume your tongue is firmly lodged into the side of your cheek. Weller, For me a better player than anyone on our current roster. As I've said before, with the exception of fife and probably Manchester, all the other teams have had better rosters in the past.

That's my opinion. Hope that's ok with the inferno police?
Always interesting to hear reasons but as regards to the fourth line, for that team we are talking Ben Davies - Sam Smith - Tim Burrows against David Brine - Patrick Bordeleau - Chris Jones. Frankly if two NHLers and an excellent penalty killer couldn't hit a cricket score against three youngsters then I would be worried.

Your point about entertainment is interesting and got me thinking.... I would give the edge to the current team but only just, in terms of ability and depth I stand by my opinion that the current team would win any match up comfortably.

KaneDevils

Always interesting to hear reasons but as regards to the fourth line, for that team we are talking Ben Davies - Sam Smith - Tim Burrows against David Brine - Patrick Bordeleau - Chris Jones. Frankly if two NHLers and an excellent penalty killer couldn't hit a cricket score against three youngsters then I would be worried.

Your point about entertainment is interesting and got me thinking.... I would give the edge to the current team but only just, in terms of ability and depth I stand by my opinion that the current team would win any match up comfortably.
And perhaps you are right, I was only having my opinion. Ill think twice before doing that again and will revise the definition of a forum. For me, I like my teams, preferably, to be entertaining and would take that over higher league appearances. I still don't see how our 4th line would score a cricket load as none of them are scorers. Brines qualities lie elsewhere for me, same as the other two really. But hey.

Thanks for at least being civil.

Finny

I preffered the record breaking team. My opinion, so I'm not wrong. Some may agree, some won't. I don't care. I do remember early season fans on here saying they hadn't yet felt entertained, so maybe I'm not alone. We've been winning whilst not playing well, which is great, but not so much on the eye.
Now that is a valid point.
And I'd probably agree with you that that WR team was more entertaining. Although I'd say the 2014-15 team was for me the most entertaining of our EIHL era.

I'd still give our current team the edge over the WR team though. There's probably not much difference in quality for the forward lines (other than we now have more strength of depth) but I think as others have said our defence is better now.
Plus....going back to my previous point... I believe the overall standard of the EIHL is much higher now. We were a fairly average team that season until Weller joined. Would one player be able to make that big an impact in the league these days? I'm not so sure.
There were some pretty poor teams back then. You could be pretty certain if you were home against Hull or one of the Scottish teams you'd get near double-figures. You can't say that anymore.