Signings/departures 2010/2011 - All Other Teams

andydevils said:
would be another solid signing for the giants but they need some 3rd liners not 10 1st liners
Surely 10 1st liners would be better? Each line as awesome as the last :p

Anyway I really hope Szwez comes back, was one of the best power forwards to play in this league. Not to mention them 2 penalty shots against the Panthers at the PO final were fantastic.

Rempel16

Dundee complete their forwards with the signing of AJ Maclean.

The indication seems they are only going with 9 forwards, two of whom are Sean Mcmorrow and John Dolan. Gary Wishart is also unproven at this level.

Looks like the Stars are only going with 10 or 11 imports this season. Mcmorrow is obviously very expensive.

TheStub

Star are probably doing the right thing. Get the fans back. Talking to some guys from Dundee a few weeks back, and the memory of ice hockey is strong in the town. They will probably just look to compete at this level to a bottom half of the table finish, get the fans back in - it will be an improvement over the level that they have been playing.

Once the fans are back, they have the budget to spend. Sounds sensible - BP need take note...spend what you have, no more :D

osh

Rempel16 said:

The indication seems they are only going with 9 forwards, two of whom are Sean Mcmorrow and John Dolan. Gary Wishart is also unproven at this level.

Looks like the Stars are only going with 10 or 11 imports this season. Mcmorrow is obviously very expensive.
Rempel 16, sorry, but not too sure about your post tbh. You say Stars will only have 9 forwards ( i.e 3 complete forward lines ) We've only got 10 forwards ( haven't we? ) so no huge difference there. Also you say they will only go with 10 or 11 imports, not much different to us there either.
We've got an unproven youngster in our line up as well, can't see your point really. Would like to see Stars have a fairly decent season in order to sustain a good fan base. They will have lots of 'derby' games this season for sure.

Rempel16

osh said:
Rempel16 said:

Rempel 16, sorry, but not too sure about your post tbh. You say Stars will only have 9 forwards ( i.e 3 complete forward lines ) We've only got 10 forwards ( haven't we? ) so no huge difference there. Also you say they will only go with 10 or 11 imports, not much different to us there either.
We've got an unproven youngster in our line up as well, can't see your point really. Would like to see Stars have a fairly decent season in order to sustain a good fan base. They will have lots of 'derby' games this season for sure.
I thought that the idea for this season was that the 'lesser' teams will have 12 imports in order to make up for the shortfall of British talent.
Ok, no huge difference to our 10 forwards, but we have 7 imports in those 10. And not one of our imports is one-dimensional enough that he will probably not be capable of holding down a regular shift. (Mcmorrow). Add to this that Mcmorrow/Nebus will be looking to fight every game and there's going to be a lot of 2-line hockey played in Dundee. More so given that John Dolan (their 9th forward) couldn't cut it at Elite level with the Caps last season.

I'm just a little disappointed as initially I thought the Stars had utilised the 12th import slot for Mcmorrow to be a 10th forward rotating in with Dolan on occasion.
As one of 9 regular shifters, Mcmorrow doesn't look like such an astute signing.

They don't have enough quality in the rest of their forwards to produce a decent season and look like they are going to be whipping boys. I hope they prove me wrong.

Not sure if I had a point, rather than making an observation, but it does make me wonder whether Dundee games are actually going to be worth attending this year, or whether they are going to be 'borefests' much like Hull games, pre-Cloutier.

Finny

I agree with Rempel16. Stars look to be severely lacking the firepower needed in the EIHL this season. They seem to have signed a team of 3rd line grinders and forgotten about the 1st and 2nd line scorers. Only Hughes and possibly Ceman are likely to score more than 20 goals this season, whilst McMorrow, the brits and maybe even Nebus will struggle to get into double figures.

Unless they sign an awesome defence they look like finishing rock bottom of the league. They might be entertaining due to McMorrow and Nebus, but I do worry about them and the effect it could have on their crowds.

TheStub

Finny said:
I agree with Rempel16. Stars look to be severely lacking the firepower needed in the EIHL this season. They seem to have signed a team of 3rd line grinders and forgotten about the 1st and 2nd line scorers. Only Hughes and possibly Ceman are likely to score more than 20 goals this season, whilst McMorrow, the brits and maybe even Nebus will struggle to get into double figures.

Unless they sign an awesome defence they look like finishing rock bottom of the league. They might be entertaining due to McMorrow and Nebus, but I do worry about them and the effect it could have on their crowds.
Like I said earlier, I wonder how much of this is a measured approach by Dundee. They are coming into the league to build a fan base, and rock bottom Elite league is still a higher level than they have been playing, and should see them increase their gate.

By keeping their final import slot open, they are putting themselves in a position that they can bring in someone, maybe at Christmas, maybe sooner.

It is obvious that this going to be a building year for Dundee, and to that end I think they are going about it the right way. Get the fans back in, and worry about spending money when they have it.

Rempel16

Kyle Bruce signs for Braehead.

Exciting player and someone I would like in Cardiff one day. Gritty, in-your-face and never takes a shift off.

I'd still take Tylor every day of the week tho!

Finny

Rempel16 said:

Exciting player and someone I would like in Cardiff one day. Gritty, in-your-face and never takes a shift off.

I'd still take Tylor every day of the week tho!
Perhaps it's just me being biased and arrogant - but I couldn't see him getting on our team as I just can't see who he could replace.

Rempel16

Agreed now Finny.

For me he is a tougher, but lesser skilled (in workrate terms) version of Tylor.

I think every team needs a Tylor/Kyle Bruce/Our Derek Campbell type player and i'd be happy with any one of the three on the roster.

Of course, Tylor's ability to single-handedly win games sets him apart from the other two!!!!

ASHIPP

Rempel16 said:

Another player a lot of Devils fans had on their wishlist last year.

So along with DAB and Luke Fulghum, this is another player our Kenton Smith has played alongside and whose style he is familiar with. All to the Devils' advantage, I'd say! :cool:

Heavyweight Steve 'My Way' Makway joins the Stars...

Great signing and another real tough player for the Stars, probable 2nd toughest guy in the league after McMorrow..... I would of loved to have had Makway in a Giants jersey next season... He's a top heavyweight fighter as well as being a quality defence man.... The Stars in my opinion are the toughest team in the EIHL next season with McMorrow, Makway and Nebus.....

Here's a few of Makway's fights

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwkmyyWG ... r_embedded --- V beating Devils new tough guy Sawyer...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UU1OD0H_ ... r_embedded --- beating 6'7'' Derek Merlini ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AyeOwQf ... r_embedded --- Destroying Lance Galbraith