Signings/departures 2010/2011 - All Other Teams

TheStub

Looks like it, but here's hoping that they actually play some hockey too.

This season is very important, from a longer term development point of view. If a (much) lower league side like the Stars can make the step up, and make it work financially, then the future of the sport looks a bit more secure.

If it fails, then they and the likes of Fife are going to be strolling off into the night.

TheStub

oneill said:
Heavyweight Steve 'My Way' Makway joins the Stars...

Great signing and another real tough player for the Stars, probable 2nd toughest guy in the league after McMorrow..... I would of loved to have had Makway in a Giants jersey next season... He's a top heavyweight fighter as well as being a quality defence man.... The Stars in my opinion are the toughest team in the EIHL next season with McMorrow, Makway and Nebus.....
Ok, ignoring the least interesting part of hockey (all that grabing and holding these large guys do), Makway may not be a bad signing.

http://www.pointstreak.com/prostats/pla ... sonid=5902

Over his CHL career he is on a +25, not bad for a defenceman. Ok, last season he was -13 in 16 games with no goals. But prior to that he was only -1 in 27 games with 24 points. Then he got traded.

He could be a point a game D man in this league, and easily be a positive guy. Not a bad signing at all. With then physical side of him as well, we may get to see McMorrow actually play a power forward game. Remember that McMorrow was a NHL draftee, and played AHL level hockey. They don't carry one dimensional players up there.

Could be interesting times in Dundee.

ASHIPP

Steve Makway is a quality defenceman and will be one of the top 3 toughest guys in the EIHL this year. Hell, some of us wanted him for the Devils! What Dundee may not have in offensive department, they will be more than making up for elsewhere! McMorrow will take care of the opposition players who pick on theirs, and generally wind up the big boys....whilst Makway simply stone-walls anyone in the d-zone! They will certainly be entertaining! :cool: Scoring against them just got a bit harder!

TheStub

On second thoughts, the McMorrow comment may have been rash. ;)

Makway also looks useful on the attack. A half a point a game game could easily be a point a game over here. Not to be trifled with.

I'm excited about seeing them play now. As long as it is physical, and not just a load of fights.

DevilDom

Looks like the stars are going to very tough this year.

IMO Steve Makway is tougher than Sawyer and a very good signing. Add Mcmorrow into the equation and it looks like the stars are going to use the extra import to nullify the impact of other teams tough guys.

Exciting times. I'm really looking forward to seeing some tough, hard fought (literally) games this year.

Seeley looks top quality, really glad to have him in a Giants shirt. Our D-unti certainly looks better than last season, with Gleed, Seeley, Mason, Cook and Walton.

Looks like we will use our last 3 import signings will be forward, I suspect a power forward, enforcer type, and maybe a grinder.

Anyway things are looking good.

Rempel16

Looks an excellent signing IMO.

He had 16 fights last year but just 109 penalty minutes over 55 games. That works out as 29 penalty minutes excluding the fights.

Good stats for a d-man.

Rempel16

The EEN, (Edinburgh newspaper) announces that the Caps have signed Iain Bowie.

Not updated on the Caps website as the only person that updates it is away. Good little signing there, I always thought he was very good at both ends of the ice, unfortunately his finishing let him down. Having said that, a year under Toe-knee at Manchester has seen him produce 33 points so perhaps he can carry that output to Elite level

Can't find any confirmation of this Lepine guy signing for Stingrays. Decent enough signing if tru, but a bit underwhelming after the Robidas wind up.

ASHIPP

Rempel16 said:
http://www.braeheadclan.com/index.php/news/clan-news/131

Braehead release Bullas and Thompson.

I wonder if money is tighter than though up there? Or whether the vultures are circling around the Hull carcas already.
I'm of the same opinion - Braehead can't argue that they have too many Brits signed because several other teams also have a similar number on their rosters - especially as Thompson was probably going to be a 2nd/3rd liner? With everything happening at Hull, perhaps the Clan are hoping to upgrade on experience with Esders and the Mitchell Bros?

Watch out for Mitchell brothers have signed for Clan threads soon... :) If the Clan are upgrading fair play to them as this is a competitive sport and coaches need to do what's best for their teams to gain an upper hand... Thompson and Bullas will get picked up by other clubs looking to add some Brits to their roster...

Rempel16

I think Lee Mitchell is definitely a possibility for the Clan, but they already have 6 d-men so I doubt that Craig Mitchell is in their sights.

Esders will be a good pick up for any of the Vipers, Capitals or Stars (assuming the Clan get L.Mitchell)