Signing an NHLer a no brainer???

Paul Sullivan

voth26 said:
Guys no disrespect but i'm getting a tad fed up of reading posts between people who seem to have an issue with how a post is written,or how a post is perceived? can we get back on topic about SHOULD WE SIGN A NHL'ER thank you
I reckon its a coin toss:

Heads: Sign an NHL'er, use the PR buzz they provide and hope to convert that into bums on seats. Also hope that you get more of a Beleskey than a Stewart (based on debuts alone). Pray the lockout doesn't end if you get a diamond.

Tails: Sign an AHL guy that has been displaced, more likely for the season, less chance of marketing but more chance to build the team chemistry long term. Also still pray the lockout doesn't end.

I still think it comes down to expectation. Not long ago we were happy with a solid CHL guy. Then CHL and decent ECHL numbers. Then it went to ECHL / AHL and then we had Belfast and there guys with hundreds of AHL games being signed.

Now (granted in an unusual circumstance) we want NHLers. What a change in the EIHL in three years.

James said:
I hear rumours the lockout could be over within hours so possibly not :)
Real rumor? (if thats not an oxymoron)

On the subject of the thread tho. I've said it again, I really like that we signed a keen young brit instead of a temporary NHLer. I'm not saying it wouldn't be cool to have an NHLer and that it wouldn't shift tickets but its not much of a long term plan.

I just got everything crossed that the lockout ends soon!!!

Finny

osh said:
How do you think we are doing this season Finny, are you happy with every player, are you happy to keep the present team until the end of the season? If finances allow, would you bring in an NHLer or good AHLer?
I think we've done ok this season. A couple of disappointing results but also some impressive ones.

I expected us to finish 4th in our conference behind Belfast, Sheffield and Nottm but ahead of Coventry. I also expected us to finish below Braehead in the overall table, though we're ahead of them at the moment.

Like most posters, I haven't seen anything yet to be particularly impressed with Milam yet. Defensively he seems ok but we're yet to see this great offensive threat - especially his slapshot.

I'm also surprised that Blight hasn't scored more than he has. I expected him to be on Pelle's sort of level, though I never anticipated Faulkner to score as high as he has so far.
I'm hoping with Blight it is just a confidence thing and with MacRae on his line he will soon start scoring for fun too.

I'm very impressed with the increase attendance Coventry had which would appear to be mostly down to their NHLer. I don't know how its affected attendances in Sheffield or Nottingham, but if anything I was surprised that Braehead didn't break the 3000 barrier with their guys debut.

If you could guarantee an NHLer would add 500 a game onto the Cardiff attendance then it would sound like a good gamble. But it would still be a gamble.
As James pointed out, the Lockout could effectively be cancelled any day now - at which point the NHLers would return immediately. Even if they don't, they still will be going home around Dec-Jan time due to their visa.

If the lockout has meant there are AHL players suddenly available for the whole season at a good rate - I would rather sign them up for the whole season than an NHLer who would only be here for a short time.

Much has been said about the 'Weller effect' but my view is
that it has been somewhat overplayed. There is absolutely NO DOUBT in my mind that Craig is and was a class act and the best player in the league that season.
However, we must remember that IIRC 5 devils players had 'career years' that season which has never happened before or certainly since.
Yes, one could argue that it was Weller's arrival that proved the catalyst but one could also argue that it was goals in spades, from all three lines that ultimately proved the difference.
Either way, the point is that at that time a change needed to be made as the team were underacheiving.But we were so lucky that Weller, had players around him that were capable of digging deeper and showing the commitment that we demand from Devils players.
My question is, if Craig arrived next week do you think this team would step up like the class of 2010?
Anyway, should we sign an NHLer? Damn right we should!!

Martynwo said:
http://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/nhl-offer-proposes-50-50-revenue-split-1.997818

Bettman hoping for a 82 game season starting on 2nd Nov with camps starting in 9 days time.

So maybe the NHL'rs will be off leaving gaps in rosters that will need to be filled, seems that maybe teams have rushed in for a short term gain rather than the long term as G was kind of hinting.
It won't happen, this deal proposal is still basically insulting to the players, yeah there's a 50/50 split but the other terms are terrible. The UFA and contract terms are unacceptable. The NHL are fully aware that the NHLPA will turn down the offer and it'll make the PA look like the bad guys. The 2 sides are still worlds apart

osh

Finny ; Good well thought out post, and in fairness, I would agree with 90% of what you have said. :eek:
Delighted to see you didn't tear apart my response to your original question! ;)

Predictable response from a predictable man. The most obnoxious bloke in Wales.

Re: Sestito
£60 x 60 shirts = £3,600. Not bad for a couple of weeks PR.

steve

I'm in Calgary at the moment and the sportsnews networks are full of talk of a new 50/50 revenue sharing deal which should see the NHL resume in 2 weeks. Not completed yet, but looks likely.

wildthing74

steve said:
I'm in Calgary at the moment and the sportsnews networks are full of talk of a new 50/50 revenue sharing deal which should see the NHL resume in 2 weeks. Not completed yet, but looks likely.
Yeah I've read loads today from NHL journos and this is sounding promising. Just hope they get it done for the fans,shame its happened though yet again.

Gazza272

i've said before that I didnt think the NHL could afford to have this season as a full lockout but I never thought they were that desperate for a full schedule. I think that is the most telling part of this whole ordeal and the most promising.

Steelers and Blaze now have a very uncertain few weeks, they now need to go back to the recruiting in a market where many teams around europe are filling roster spaces as well.

We could come out of this looking ok if we can iron out our own issues.

Gazza272 said:
i've said before that I didnt think the NHL could afford to have this season as a full lockout but I never thought they were that desperate for a full schedule. I think that is the most telling part of this whole ordeal and the most promising.

Steelers and Blaze now have a very uncertain few weeks, they now need to go back to the recruiting in a market where many teams around europe are filling roster spaces as well.

We could come out of this looking ok if we can iron out our own issues.
I posted much the same thing on THF a few weeks ago also including Braehead. The only team who have signed a locked out player who wont suffer are Panthers.

I posted much the same thing on THF a few weeks ago also including Braehead. The only team who have signed a locked out player who wont suffer are Panthers.
Not strictly true.

If Beleskey has to return to Anaheim soon the Blaze will have a full compliment of imports once Domish is back from injury - probably in a couple of weeks.

A#45 said:
Not strictly true.

If Beleskey has to return to Anaheim soon the Blaze will have a full compliment of imports once Domish is back from injury - probably in a couple of weeks.
Thats even more shocking then considering the begging bowls were out last season :shock:

To keep this brief: -

The main sponsor failed to pay up last season and it was a major problem for the club, as it would be for any team.

The Blaze have played all season so far without a full import quota. Not once have they had all the imports on the bench at the same time.

To add to that Beleskey is probably cheaper than half the Giants roster, and will probably be gone in a few weeks.

The mock 'shock' you appear to be suffering is not very convincing :lol:

Gazza272

A#45 said:

The main sponsor failed to pay up last season and it was a major problem for the club, as it would be for any team.

The Blaze have played all season so far without a full import quota. Not once have they had all the imports on the bench at the same time.

To add to that Beleskey is probably cheaper than half the Giants roster, and will probably be gone in a few weeks.

I think the point you miss in that is that even though your imports are injured, they still get paid ;)

A#45 said:

Just to answer your points:

1.Dont spend before you get the cash
2.Ah thats a shame maybe trying to sign Danton wasnt such a good idea then, take it you dont pay them when they dont play then?
3.Pure speculation
4.Actually its not because when i orginally posted on THF i thought Blaze were an import short