Signing an NHLer a no brainer???

Rempel16

Thread starter #1
So we are on the back of another loss, albeit to the best team in the league at the moment, and for me something clearly isn't right. A change needs to be made.

Now I appreciate the sentiment behind players at this level needing their jobs to earn a living, however, hockey isn't always about sentiment.....

Braehead announced an NHLer last week with a big press conference Wednesday to introduce Drew Miller, and ticket sales went nuts for their Friday night home game against Dundee Stars.

Coventry announced an NHLer and last night had their biggest crowd in 3 years for Matt Beleskey's debut, in fairness he didn't disappoint either (watched the webcast).

Surely this is proof that legit NHLer's sell tickets, and i think they would even in the BBT. It is being touted that some NHLer's are actually cheaper to sign at the moment than what current EIHL imports were asking for in the summer.....

In response to the lock-out ending early, then so-be-it, I think we wouldn't be any worse off running with 10 imports when the NHLer leaves anyway (Braehead had 10, Dundee have 10, Fife have 9, Edinburgh have 10, Coventry have been running short, Sheffield have 10 and these teams have been competing).

So is the signing of an NHLer (however short their stay) and the increased ticket sales worth it???
For me, it's a no-brainer, a resounding yes!!! Discuss........

James

Administrator
I'd rather us sign a good solid AHL'er displaced by the lockout who would play the year and not be back in the NHL by christmas. There are a lot of great players who would be top drawer signings in the off season now looking about.

Skippy

I don't think we are honestly in the position to bring in an NHL guy.

We spoke to PR at the weekend in Belfast and the position from the club was that we won't have an NHL guy come in for the short term as it would just cause disruption when that player goes home.

Finny

James said:
I'd rather us sign a good solid AHL'er displaced by the lockout who would play the year and not be back in the NHL by christmas. There are a lot of great players who would be top drawer signings in the off season now looking about.
This.

Though I doubt we have the finances to afford it at the moment?

I think it's a tough call. Having said that you look at the attendance that Coventry had yesterday of 2895 for a CC game, which I assume was a non-season ticket game and perhaps the numbers can stack up, however I do understand the caution.

Have Hope#35

James said:
By all means correct me if i'm wrong... But wouldn't any displaced AHL'er look to head back to the AHL as soon as the NHL was resumed? Surely there would be a domino effect and any spots made available by NHL'ers returning to the NHL would be filled by the AHL'ers that had to take a back seat originally?

I think if the right guy becomes available from the NHL Lockout then we'd be silly not to jump at the chance to sign him... And if someone needs to be cut then so be it, it isn't like everyone is performing!

If i were Adams i'd drop one of the guys not performing and bring in an NHL'er... The price would be around the same.. Steelers said Sestito costs less than what Pecker was getting, Drew Miller at Braehead is also said to be very cheap to get over... Don't know about the Blaze guy, but what ever he's on he's worth it after watching him last night....

Looked a better version of Jeff Szwez at times... Stripping Panthers D.man off pucks, laying heavy hits, skates fast, holds the puck up in the attack, and fights.. He looked much better than Anthony Stewart of Panthers...

A good player could change your season.. ala Jeff Szwez for the Giants, or what Craig Weller did for you's.

phil PLT said:
I think it's a tough call. Having said that you look at the attendance that Coventry had yesterday of 2895 for a CC game, which I assume was a non-season ticket game and perhaps the numbers can stack up, however I do understand the caution.
I think Coventry have had pretty good attendances all season.. Possibly this was the highest so far but I think 2200-2500 have been attending.

Coventry have been pretty good value at home though so far so fans will return... A few NHL names can't hurt though I agree

DevilDom

IMO its getting to that stage of the season when if changes are going to be made then they should be done now. I'm of the mind that there are 2 or 3 players underperforming so maybe changing 1 would have a bit of a shake up of the others.

If we could bring an NHL player that would be great and the benefits should outweigh the negatives. However one player IMO should be changed regardless of whether he is replaced with an NHL or other player. I hear the argument about not disrupting team morale etc. but if that team is underperforming do we just accept that?

ASHIPP

James said:
THIS is the no-brainer.. Devils need a topclass AHL level player who will be here for the rest of the season. Consistency and stability is what is needed. Whilst an NHLer might initially put bums on seats, its the actual team performance and results longterm that will bring people constantly through the door.

Devils have to try to turn this inconsistency around....bottom of our conference and near bottom of our CC group simply wont cut it in Cup and playoff competitoons. Whilst its still fairly early in season, the team has to achieve a minimum target of wins to stay in touch.

Vicious circle.....club need finances to support bringing in a new player but they also need decent run of results to generate finances.

I understand the caution but I dont think the Devils can afford to sit and wait for attendences to rise based on your current team. I tried to say this on another thread a few weeks ago but got slammed for it - The current Devils roster is not one I would recognise as a proper Devils team. Blaze and Devils teams are tough and feisty at their best, and your team this year is like Blaze teams of the last two years.

As far as costs are concerned Beleskey has earned $1.8M over the last 3 seasons at Anaheim so I'm sure he doesnt need a weekly pay cheque. He has come for the opportunity to play and experience English lifestyle (for good or for bad!). He was brilliant to watch last night

The last time Thommo did this Blaze won the Grand Slam.

I think it is one of the disadvantages of Ragan not being a 'hockey man'.

KaneDevils

If poss I'd sign an NHL D man and gas ...... well gas one of our current import D men. It's rumored these guys don't cost that much, plus any extra cost would be re-gained with extra ticket sales, publicity, perhaps shirt sales etc, I bet every Clan fan wants "Miller" on the back of their shirt. I know I would. So ..... yeah.
Personally I think we have to do something or else crowds will slowly diminish. Can we afford for them to drop further? :roll:

ASHIPP

DevilDan said:
Hull have released dman Volecko, could they be doing something similar?
Clearly some clubs have no issue with releasing underperforming players however tough that is on the team. Am sure that Steelers and Stingrays want to progress in competitions as much as the Devils do. The difference is that they have done something about it while there is enough time left in certain competitions.

By the same token the star is rising for several teams who are playing competitive hockey but short benched - Coventry , Fife, Braehead. Imagine what they would be like with a full and fit roster.......Devils already have a full roster.
:eek:

Paul Sullivan

What I find interesting about this season is the fact it really is unpredictable and to me that would be a reason for perhaps more caution than less in terms of roster movement.

Belfast have granted done well against us (and in general) but look at the last couple of outings:

We Beat Sheffield
Fife Beat Sheffield
Belfast beat us
Sheffield beat Belfast.

Whilst the big guys will always have more money, this season things are more up in the air on any given night than I can remember since the ISL days. If this kept up I wouldn't be surprised to see a previously unfancied Northern conference team decide the League on the last day of the season.

Which is a roundabout way of saying I don't so much think it's Devils being bad, as everyone else being that little bit better, coupled with our own (severely heightened) expectations this season. I think all the Devils fans expected and anticipated more from this roster than any in the EIHL era, for sure.

However, 2,800+ in Coventry for a non season ticket game for a guy nowhere near the 'name' of Drew Miller is a highly convincing fiscal argument to getting an NHL player over, were the right one available. I am just glad I wouldn't have to be the one to either tell G to stand on the bench or another Devil to go home.

At the end of the day it comes down to the Golden rule: The one with all the gold makes the rules. It's not our money we would be spending to make this happen and for all the possible/probable uplifts in attendance it's still not a guaranteed fact that we would get another 400+ a game through the door.

I have complete faith in G and Franny. I'm fairly sure they will be the least happy of any Devils folk right now...

Fubar

Paul Sullivan said:
What I find interesting about this season is the fact it really is unpredictable and to me that would be a reason for perhaps more caution than less in terms of roster movement.

Belfast have granted done well against us (and in general) but look at the last couple of outings:

We Beat Sheffield
Fife Beat Sheffield
Belfast beat us
Sheffield beat Belfast.

Whilst the big guys will always have more money, this season things are more up in the air on any given night than I can remember since the ISL days. If this kept up I wouldn't be surprised to see a previously unfancied Northern conference team decide the League on the last day of the season.

Which is a roundabout way of saying I don't so much think it's Devils being bad, as everyone else being that little bit better, coupled with our own (severely heightened) expectations this season. I think all the Devils fans expected and anticipated more from this roster than any in the EIHL era, for sure.

However, 2,800+ in Coventry for a non season ticket game for a guy nowhere near the 'name' of Drew Miller is a highly convincing fiscal argument to getting an NHL player over, were the right one available. I am just glad I wouldn't have to be the one to either tell G to stand on the bench or another Devil to go home.

At the end of the day it comes down to the Golden rule: The one with all the gold makes the rules. It's not our money we would be spending to make this happen and for all the possible/probable uplifts in attendance it's still not a guaranteed fact that we would get another 400+ a game through the door.

I have complete faith in G and Franny. I'm fairly sure they will be the least happy of any Devils folk right now...
damn..you talk sense there ;)

ASHIPP

Paul is always the voice of reason when panic hits the forum! ......But he is right. Whether the fantastic attendance at the Skydome was down to the NHLer debuing, or because the Panthers were in town, or because Blaze are playing well at the mo......SOMETHING is working. #enviable.

jimmy snels

what i found interesting was that both the chavs and squeelers NHL'ers fought.... many (myself included to a degree) thought they wouldnt put their bodies on the line and it was just a run out for them.

sessito had a gordie howe in his first game!

ASHIPP said:
Paul is always the voice of reason when panic hits the forum! ......But he is right. Whether the fantastic attendance at the Skydome was down to the NHLer debuing, or because the Panthers were in town, or because Blaze are playing well at the mo......SOMETHING is working. #enviable.
I think it was a combination of all three to be honest. However most Blaze fans know a good team when they see one (luckily we've had a few), and this current team have got the fans excited from the early days even when they have played dsperately short benched. It wil be interesting to see what the crowd is like for the Steelers home game on Saturday. There is a real buzz and momentum around the place at the moment that money cant buy

I think you are a couple of players short of being a proper Devils team, but a decent NHLr sure would help the cause.

KaneDevils

Which is a roundabout way of saying I don't so much think it's Devils being bad, as everyone else being that little bit better
We expect the Devils to lose certain games, and as you say, any team can beat any other, basically. But, some of our performances have been poor, both individuals and as a team. while other teams are buzzing like bees on LCD, we are ..... a little flat, like out of date cola. Personally, I think if things stay as they are, the season might worsen rather than improve. Hope I'm wrong.