Shirt off his back

Devil_Abroad

Perhaps it's me, but I'm far more disgusted at some of the comments on here than I am at the way the draw was done.

It's pretty obvious that someone (apparently Bordy) was asked to pick the winning tickets out. He can't have been in the best of moods having been dropped and I doubt he had the patience to pick out 23 number individually. He's put his hand in a couple of times, grabbed a handful of tickets each time and handed them over.

Once they are drawn, that is it. It doesn't matter if they are consecutive or not, the draw has been made. You can't then put tickets back in because they are consecutive. THAT would be fixing the draw. And even then you can't be 100% certain that consecutive numbers are all the same people. As they are sold in groups of three the odds of all three being one person are actually around 50%. So which ones do you put back in? Do you risk another fan losing out on their winning ticket because they happened to buy the next one?

Regardless of all that, for people to then attack the winner(s) is disgusting. Some of the comments on here personally attacking another fan are arguably the worst I've ever seen on this forum. We must have some very noble people on here who would win multiple shirts and then give them back. Really?
We've had people before win SOHB several times a season. Should they have handed their jerseys back? Are we going to stop people bidding on more than one shirt at the auctions in future?

And I'm really not sure what people expect Todd/the club to do as an apology. Give everyone a free shirt?
All they can do is say that they will be changing the way the draw is made in future. I've seen it suggested that the players each pull out their own number after the game. Which is a good idea but not if we have lost and the players are on the ice for ages after a defeat. And even if we've won I'm sure some people would complain about how long it took.
"Why didn't we get one person to draw it during the third period?"
I for one would expect a refund for those that feel cheated. On the one hand you say the draw was unfair and on the other it is what it is and people should accept it. I differ in my opinion to yours on this one. Sorry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kettdevil1

Why?
I thought the general feeling on here at the start of the season was that they were awful?
Clearly a lot has changed since the start of the season and not necessarily for the better..... This thread has typified a lot of the negatives that have occurred recently.... petty, small-minded and ignorant comments on a day that should have been a celebration of a stunning win.

Now I don't know if the draw was a statistical fluke (they do happen!) or whether the tickets weren't separately correctly but.... they have been drawn, some lucky Devils fans have won and that should be the end of it.

Does anyone genuinely believe that when they enter a lottery, they have the right to protest the result given that (if this did happen) it could have been your tickets stuck together??

We are on the verge of something special and certain parts of the fanbase appear to be losing the plot. If you want a definition of things being badly run, look back three years.... then we had things to complain about!! How easy it is to forget.

Diafol

Yes it was unfair but not done dishonestly, therefore I wouldn't expect refunds to be issued.

What's done is done, it was a monumental screw-up and I'm sure the club know this only too well now.

Sliput

Oh come on , those who are saying they are disgusted etc... If you had won more than one would you have moaned/handed them back ?? Of course not, it was a screw up by THE CLUB not the winners. It wasn't a fix , Just not thought out properly. For me , the simplest solution would have been to flash several notices on the screen NOT to throw away their tickets, separate them properly today and then icetime to film Todd/Chris/Franny picking the numbers out and showing them to the camera ( much like Sheffields 50/50). The numbers could then have been put on the Devils website.

It's a genuine mistake , I bought tickets but that's what a lottery is. In 34 years I have never won a shirt or a 50/50......thats life.

Devil_Abroad

Clearly a lot has changed since the start of the season and not necessarily for the better..... This thread has typified a lot of the negatives that have occurred recently.... petty, small-minded and ignorant comments on a day that should have been a celebration of a stunning win.

Now I don't know if the draw was a statistical fluke (they do happen!) or whether the tickets weren't separately correctly but.... they have been drawn, some lucky Devils fans have won and that should be the end of it.

Does anyone genuinely believe that when they enter a lottery, they have the right to protest the result given that (if this did happen) it could have been your tickets stuck together??

We are on the verge of something special and certain parts of the fanbase appear to be losing the plot. If you want a definition of things being badly run, look back three years.... then we had things to complain about!! How easy it is to forget.
Not a very helpful post. I'm sure my friend will love being called petty. For her it's left a very bad taste in the mouth after a great night of hockey. I'm sure everyone would prefer fans leave the arena with happy thoughts (even after a loss) rather than feeling cheated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drainage

Yes it was unfair but not done dishonestly, therefore I wouldn't expect refunds to be issued.

What's done is done, it was a monumental screw-up and I'm sure the club know this only too well now.
Agreed nothing done deliberately , yes maybe it's annoyed many but it was an error and one I think we can safely say won't happen again

Even if they wanted to give refunds how on earth would people prove 1 they bought them 2 how many they bought ...... Floor was littered with tickets when I left

I am certain TK got the message and is fully aware of the strength of feeling in some quarters time to move on in my view!

Devil_Abroad

I disagree. For those that are happy then of course but for those who believed the draw would be fair then a refund is the only thing the club can do.

pjj365

What stands out for me is not that it's green (much as I like it) not that it's an anniversary shirt (although a plus) but that it does something no other major sports club in Cardiff apears to have done (and I do stand to be corrected) and that is to recognise, by using Caerdydd, that Cardiff is the capital city of Wales - a country with its own recognised legally protected language

If the club management have any doubts about the significance of this just talk to Bordeleau and Fournier

So next years jersey could be good or just make these available in the shop at a price that recognises that, for many, this would be a second, third or fourth jersey this year

I have
Agreed nothing done deliberately , yes maybe it's annoyed many but it was an error and one I think we can safely say won't happen again

Even if they wanted to give refunds how on earth would people prove 1 they bought them 2 how many they bought ...... Floor was littered with tickets when I left

I am certain TK got the message and is fully aware of the strength of feeling in some quarters time to move on in my view!
kept my £50 worth just incase.

kettdevil1

Not a very helpful post. I'm sure my friend will love being called petty. For her it's left a very bad taste in the mouth after a great night of hockey. I'm sure everyone would prefer fans leave the arena with happy thoughts (even after a loss) rather than feeling cheated.

I am afraid that I don't know who your friend is but my point was aimed at a whole range of posts (some of which have now been deleted) but as an example and a wild guess.... if you post criticising the winners choice of home furniture then I think you could reasonably expect your post to be called petty....

If someone leaves a hockey game with a bad taste in their mouth then that is not good. My point was about the bickering and overreaction that appears to be endemic at the moment.

Devil_Abroad

I am afraid that I don't know who your friend is but my point was aimed at a whole range of posts (some of which have now been deleted) but as an example and a wild guess.... if you post criticising the winners choice of home furniture then I think you could reasonably expect your post to be called petty....

If someone leaves a hockey game with a bad taste in their mouth then that is not good. My point was about the bickering and overreaction that appears to be endemic at the moment.
Apologies, thought it was also aimed at those voicing an opinion that they were felt let down last night. I take it back.

Well done to Scooterboy for his open & honest post. On that note I'll throw my similar 2p's worth in. I brought two friends to the game who hadn't been before. We all bought multiple SOHB tickets and three of them got drawn as numbers 15, 16 and 17. If he'd bought one more ticket he'd have gotten 18 as well, which we all thought was crazy.

Instead of keeping all 3 jerseys for himself he gave me one of the winning tickets (because I'd paid for his match ticket) and the other one to our other friend so we all had one as a souvenir of a great night. I got Bordy's jersey, we also got Asselin's and Batch's (I think). Our other mate jokingly said "how much do you think I could get for this on eBay" upon which he was swiftly told to not be a greedy t**t and that if he didn't want the jersey, to give it to a young fan who missed out on getting one.

For what it's worth, three of the jerseys at the end of the giveaway didn't get claimed including Andrew Hotham's (which was the one I actually wanted). Hopefully the club will do something about redrawing those, assuming that people have held on to their tickets as I saw a lot of people ripped them up in disgust

Finny

My friend who has little money wanted a chance to get a player's shirt and saw this as a great opportunity - 1 on 23 chance. So she wouldn't normally do it as there's little chance. She thought 1 in 23 was worth a go. It wasn't. It wasn't her fault. She now feels cheated.
I notice you've also put that your friend left the game with a really bad taste in the mouth. When you put she thought it was a 1 in 23 chance - you know that's wrong don't you? It was a 23 in thousands chance. You can't even say you're 23 times more likely to win than normal because some people would have bought more tickets. Or more people bought tickets.

Have Hope#35

I for one would expect a refund for those that feel cheated. On the one hand you say the draw was unfair and on the other it is what it is and people should accept it. I differ in my opinion to yours on this one. Sorry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
There won't be a refund and there shouldn't be, I understand why people have taken issue with the run of numbers that were pulled out but no one has been cheated! Those were the first 23 numbers that were pulled out, maybe the technique was wrong or the fact that the draw wasn't done in plain sight to prove that they were but even with the run of four there were two completely different winners of two jerseys. Wouldn't it have been more dishonest to chuck some back in because the numbers were too close together?