Real Radio on Tuesday

osh

Now there's a name i'd forgotten about, Steve Feore. Was reported he actually got as far as the cafe end of the old rink before changing his mind and vanishing ! Back on track though, I think we should leave the back room staffing to those who pay the wages tbh, if the organisation are happy with who they employ, that's fair enough for me.

osh said:
Now there's a name i'd forgotten about, Steve Feore. Was reported he actually got as far as the cafe end of the old rink before changing his mind and vanishing ! Back on track though, I think we should leave the back room staffing to those who pay the wages tbh, if the organisation are happy with who they employ, that's fair enough for me.
His name was Tony Fiore.

Diafol

Wannabe2 said:
Isnt it about time we knocked this on the head, why dont we see who G signs first before we start commiting harri carri.
Who's Harri Carri, I can't find a trace of him on hockeydb.

Or did you mean Jari Kurri ? Now there's a name to conjure with, and about the same age as Steve Moria ! What do you reckon, can we persuade him out of retirement to do his MBA at Cardiff Business School ?

;)

osh

the placid casual said:
Wannabe2 said:
Well we beg your pardon :roll:
I was only saying :D
We ? :D Speak for yourself, only msssspelt after all! Anyway, Fiore, same guy I'm thinking about? The lord Lucan of ice hockey ? Got as far as the cafe (?) and high tailed it outa there.

osh

Forgot to mention I had the pleasure of meeting Jarri at a hockey school in the Middle East not so long ago. The guy is a diamond & was still able to stick control the puck in various drills like no other i've seen. Gave me some great advice relating to coaching and even though I can't skate to save my life, that didn't phase him at all and he gave up a considerable amount of time in giving advice to those trying to introduce and improve the sport to the UAE, fantastic memories.

Kipper

Finny said:
ASHIPP said:
Perhaps the wage budget hasn't been cut for next season - are we asuming that or has it been stated anywhere?
The only person who has mentioned it is Centre Ice and so far they haven't replied to back up their comment.

I don't know about other people, but I'm starting to get pretty fed up of all the accusations that we have too many office staff and we should be sacking them left, right and centre. Presumably because they think it is wasted money that could be spent on players.
Perhaps I should dig out the post someone made a couple of months back to prove that we have always had several people employed in the office in previous seasons, despite suggestions that it was done by 1 person.

I'm assuming these people making the accusations are better businessmen than Matt Burge or Paul Ragan? Because if the club was carrying too many people then surely these multi-millionaires would have spotted that and sacked them?

I remember someone suggested a couple of months ago that the appointment of Simon was a waste because despite him being in the job for two whole weeks our attendances hadn't improved. Of course the fact is that the attendances in the last few months of the season increased a lot. By about 200 a game in fact. That's around £2000 extra a game roughly. Simon must be getting paid a hell of a lot of money for him to 'not be worth' his job. :?
My point exactly Finny. Any CEO will evaluate the value added by his staff. I haven't made any accusations about anyone or suggested anyone be sacked.My point was about standard business practice.

Kipper

phil PLT said:
Kipper said:
Centre Ice said:
I would have also thought it a very pertinent question to ask why we spend so much money employing so many office staff?

I believe Nottingham who have three times the fan base we do, have less than half our office staff. Shannon and Simon alone I'm sure earn very decent salaries, and when you throw in all the other people in the office this is a fair chunk of money.

If we were more cost effective and productive off ice, the savings could be used towards what is most important to the supporters, increasing the players budget and putting the best team possible on the ice.
I think those are valid points Centre Ice. Any CEO new to a business will look at staffing and overhead costs to ensure maximum return on investment and increased efficiency. That's a given for business in any sector and Paul strikes me as a very shrewd guy who will make tough decisions in the best long term interest of the club.

The first thing I would do would be to look at each job and evaluate what the return and added value is on the investment in salary.In other words, what do they each add to the organisation and are they value for money.
You guys need to be careful, otherwise BrokenAngel will be jumping down your throats :lol:
Who is Broken Angel?

DevilDom

Kipper said:
Finny said:
ASHIPP said:
Perhaps the wage budget hasn't been cut for next season - are we asuming that or has it been stated anywhere?
The only person who has mentioned it is Centre Ice and so far they haven't replied to back up their comment.

I don't know about other people, but I'm starting to get pretty fed up of all the accusations that we have too many office staff and we should be sacking them left, right and centre. Presumably because they think it is wasted money that could be spent on players.
Perhaps I should dig out the post someone made a couple of months back to prove that we have always had several people employed in the office in previous seasons, despite suggestions that it was done by 1 person.

I'm assuming these people making the accusations are better businessmen than Matt Burge or Paul Ragan? Because if the club was carrying too many people then surely these multi-millionaires would have spotted that and sacked them?

I remember someone suggested a couple of months ago that the appointment of Simon was a waste because despite him being in the job for two whole weeks our attendances hadn't improved. Of course the fact is that the attendances in the last few months of the season increased a lot. By about 200 a game in fact. That's around £2000 extra a game roughly. Simon must be getting paid a hell of a lot of money for him to 'not be worth' his job. :?
My point exactly Finny. Any CEO will evaluate the value added by his staff. I haven't made any accusations about anyone or suggested anyone be sacked.My point was about standard business practice.
It appears that there are now others who have heard hat the player budget for next year is going to be slashed by 25% so maybe we should credit CentreIce for breaking the news early.

The best marketing tool is a successful team. Is it too late to get a refund on my season ticket? :? :?

Ger-Devils

Surely it would be in best interest for the club to come out and make a statement on this just to clarify where the club stands and the plans for the upcoming season?

Finny

Ger-Devils said:
Surely it would be in best interest for the club to come out and make a statement on this just to clarify where the club stands and the plans for the upcoming season?
But do we really expect the club to come out and respond to every rumour on here?

Ticket sales were up at the end of last season, whilst we appear to be setting new records on season tickets already. The only reason I could therefore see for us to be cutting back would be if:

-we overspent last season by a lot. Someone suggested that perhaps we planned to be getting the lease on the rink and now that hasn't happened we will have to adjust our budget otherwise.
-we are having to use some additional money to give us the best chance to get the rights for the new arena.

If the club did come out and say the budget had been cut - what actual benefit would that have? Would it then stop some of our so called fans from getting a season ticket? "I don't want to be a fan unless we are going to win the league".

So far we have re-signed Lyle, Richardson, Hill - 3 key re-signing that everyone wanted to see. We also have Birbraer and Finnerty back for next season - two players who you would assume would have been two of our top earners last season.
Certainly doesn't seem like a club in crisis.

Of course it could just be another rumour that is wrong. Wouldn't be the first time would it.....

Ger-Devils

Finny said:
Ger-Devils said:
But do we really expect the club to come out and respond to every rumour on here?

Ticket sales were up at the end of last season, whilst we appear to be setting new records on season tickets already. The only reason I could therefore see for us to be cutting back would be if:

-we overspent last season by a lot. Someone suggested that perhaps we planned to be getting the lease on the rink and now that hasn't happened we will have to adjust our budget otherwise.
-we are having to use some additional money to give us the best chance to get the rights for the new arena.

If the club did come out and say the budget had been cut - what actual benefit would that have? Would it then stop some of our so called fans from getting a season ticket? "I don't want to be a fan unless we are going to win the league".

So far we have re-signed Lyle, Richardson, Hill - 3 key re-signing that everyone wanted to see. We also have Birbraer and Finnerty back for next season - two players who you would assume would have been two of our top earners last season.
Certainly doesn't seem like a club in crisis.

Of course it could just be another rumour that is wrong. Wouldn't be the first time would it.....
I was just saying more in general really. Some panic like hell, some just get on with it. I will be buying a season ticket even if they do cut it. I would prefer us to get the lease on the rink and then the funds increase instead of playing second fiddle to someone like planet ice again!

Finny

Ger-Devils said:
I was just saying more in general really. Some panic like hell, some just get on with it. I will be buying a season ticket even if they do cut it. I would prefer us to get the lease on the rink and then the funds increase instead of playing second fiddle to someone like planet ice again!
Just realised it looks like my whole post was aimed towards you. When in fact only the first sentence was a response to your post. :oops:

The rest was just a general comment to no-one in particular.

jimmy snels

Finny said:
DevilDom said:
Is it too late to get a refund on my season ticket? :? :?
Spoken like a true fan..... :roll:
i actually think the point being made here is that we were promised "a winning team" on the last home game by the CEO. this may have had an effect on season ticket sales with people thinking we're going to sign big players and challenge big time, where as if the budget is smaller the team will obviously not improve in quality probebly quite the oppisite

DevilDom

Finny said:
DevilDom said:
Is it too late to get a refund on my season ticket? :? :?
Spoken like a true fan..... :roll:
Finny Finny Finny. Spoken like a true wind up merchant.

My comment was tongue in cheek. However as this is the first season I have committed to a season ticket I am quite annoyed if this rumour is true.

I have shown a commitment to the club by spending £500 on a season ticket for myself and my son knowing full well that I will not be able to attend all games and will not get full value for money. If the owners respond to an increase in attendances, an increase in season ticket sales and an increase in general ticket prices by slashing the player budget by 25% then what sort of commitment does that show to the fans?

Centre Ice is well connected with several key members of the the Devils Org and he is very passionate about the Devils, he is also not the type of person to go spreading unsubstantiated rumours.

So if Tony has it on good authority about the wage reduction then that's good enougth for me.