Real Radio on Tuesday

Koop11

Centre Ice said:
I was unable to listen to the radio programme.

However, if Paul Ragan is putting 'a lot of money' in to the club it would have been interesting for someone to ask where that money was going considering the player budget is being cut back for next season. Did anyone ask either of them about this?
How do you know the player budget is being cut back next season?

osh

Centre Ice said:
Finny said:
Q: "Do we find it difficult to get media coverage now that Cardiff City and the Blues are in a new stadium".

A: Paul answered and said not really. He admitted that with a new rink it would be easier but seemed happy with what we have at the moment. He also mentioned that he was putting a lot of money into the club and he wouldn't be doing that if he didn't think the club would be a success.
I was unable to listen to the radio programme.

However, if Paul Ragan is putting 'a lot of money' in to the club it would have been interesting for someone to ask where that money was going considering the player budget is being cut back for next season. Did anyone ask either of them about this?

It's how his answer is to be interpreted really. For example, by saying he was ''putting a lot of money into the club etc'', that could simply mean he is putting the same amount ( or even less ) than Matt Burge did during his spell. He hasn't actually said he is putting in more than last season just that whatever amount he is putting in is ' a lot of money' as far as he is concerned. Any investment in sponsoring or actually owning a sports team has to be considered a gamble, or you do it because you want to be involved and can afford to do it.

I would have also thought it a very pertinent question to ask why we spend so much money employing so many office staff?

I believe Nottingham who have three times the fan base we do, have less than half our office staff. Shannon and Simon alone I'm sure earn very decent salaries, and when you throw in all the other people in the office this is a fair chunk of money.

If we were more cost effective and productive off ice, the savings could be used towards what is most important to the supporters, increasing the players budget and putting the best team possible on the ice.

Gazza272

I would also say that Paul stating he has put a lot of his own money into the club could be to do with the current Rink process.

Which in turn would allow us if we were running our own facility to have a much bigger budget than we currently have in the tent, this season or last.

James

Administrator
Nottingham have had a steady ship for a lot longer than us and I doubt they have to put as much effort into building season ticket sales and brand awareness. All the things we are striving to achieve are a given in Nottingham already.

James said:
Nottingham have had a steady ship for a lot longer than us and I doubt they have to put as much effort into building season ticket sales and brand awareness. All the things we are striving to achieve are a given in Nottingham already.

It's a 'given' in Nottingham because of good prudent cost effective management. It's this type of management that has allowed their owner to invest in, and subsidise, other teams in this league.

Sadly, though we have more staff than Nottingham, our levels of 'customer service' towards existing customers are very poor. I could list a number of examples from myself and friends, as could I'm sure many people on here.

Finny

So where has the suggestion our wage budget is being cut for this forthcoming season come from?

How many staff do Nottingham have?

Kipper

Centre Ice said:
I would have also thought it a very pertinent question to ask why we spend so much money employing so many office staff?

I believe Nottingham who have three times the fan base we do, have less than half our office staff. Shannon and Simon alone I'm sure earn very decent salaries, and when you throw in all the other people in the office this is a fair chunk of money.

If we were more cost effective and productive off ice, the savings could be used towards what is most important to the supporters, increasing the players budget and putting the best team possible on the ice.
I think those are valid points Centre Ice. Any CEO new to a business will look at staffing and overhead costs to ensure maximum return on investment and increased efficiency. That's a given for business in any sector and Paul strikes me as a very shrewd guy who will make tough decisions in the best long term interest of the club.

The first thing I would do would be to look at each job and evaluate what the return and added value is on the investment in salary.In other words, what do they each add to the organisation and are they value for money.

Foxy

Finny said:
So where has the suggestion our wage budget is being cut for this forthcoming season come from?

How many staff do Nottingham have?
i certainly hope it isn't being cut back with wage cap being scrapped or we'll be moving backwards!!!

ASHIPP

Perhaps the wage budget hasn't been cut for next season - are we asuming that or has it been stated anywhere?
Assuming G has the same funds as last year, he is in a much better position this time to assess what is needed for recruitment/player skills to achieve targets whilst still mainitaining a good core of last year's team. Imagining that to retain key players from last season, they will be wanting a pay increase, it would still be possible to recruit wisely AND achieve targets without blowing the remaining budget on several 'big' names.
I have every faith that G will sign some great quality guys through the MBA option, and maybe recruit some awesome young guns in the Tylor and Killer mode (hopefully to play on the same line as them next season! :D) who are starting to make their careers. This is the style of play G wanted the team to move to anyway - fast and furious. Expect these new players have been on the radar for some time

DevilDom

James said:
I think this is very important, however it's not as if the Devils are a new club. Whilst I accept there has been periods of turmoil the club has still been around for almost 25 years now! I think looking at how effective all aspects of the business are is very important and if off-ice office resources are proving an excessive drain on the budget that this needs to reviewed. If its true and Nottingham can get by with half the office staff we have then that is quite shocking. After all it's all very well having the best back-room opertaion if we can't afford the players to make us the best team on the ice!

Kipper said:
Centre Ice said:

I think those are valid points Centre Ice. Any CEO new to a business will look at staffing and overhead costs to ensure maximum return on investment and increased efficiency. That's a given for business in any sector and Paul strikes me as a very shrewd guy who will make tough decisions in the best long term interest of the club.

The first thing I would do would be to look at each job and evaluate what the return and added value is on the investment in salary.In other words, what do they each add to the organisation and are they value for money.
You guys need to be careful, otherwise BrokenAngel will be jumping down your throats :lol:

Finny

ASHIPP said:
Perhaps the wage budget hasn't been cut for next season - are we asuming that or has it been stated anywhere?
The only person who has mentioned it is Centre Ice and so far they haven't replied to back up their comment.

I don't know about other people, but I'm starting to get pretty fed up of all the accusations that we have too many office staff and we should be sacking them left, right and centre. Presumably because they think it is wasted money that could be spent on players.
Perhaps I should dig out the post someone made a couple of months back to prove that we have always had several people employed in the office in previous seasons, despite suggestions that it was done by 1 person.

I'm assuming these people making the accusations are better businessmen than Matt Burge or Paul Ragan? Because if the club was carrying too many people then surely these multi-millionaires would have spotted that and sacked them?

I remember someone suggested a couple of months ago that the appointment of Simon was a waste because despite him being in the job for two whole weeks our attendances hadn't improved. Of course the fact is that the attendances in the last few months of the season increased a lot. By about 200 a game in fact. That's around £2000 extra a game roughly. Simon must be getting paid a hell of a lot of money for him to 'not be worth' his job. :?

DevilDom

Finny said:
ASHIPP said:
The only person who has mentioned it is Centre Ice and so far they haven't replied to back up their comment.

I don't know about other people, but I'm starting to get pretty fed up of all the accusations that we have too many office staff and we should be sacking them left, right and centre. Presumably because they think it is wasted money that could be spent on players.
Perhaps I should dig out the post someone made a couple of months back to prove that we have always had several people employed in the office in previous seasons, despite suggestions that it was done by 1 person.

I'm assuming these people making the accusations are better businessmen than Matt Burge or Paul Ragan? Because if the club was carrying too many people then surely these multi-millionaires would have spotted that and sacked them?

I remember someone suggested a couple of months ago that the appointment of Simon was a waste because despite him being in the job for two whole weeks our attendances hadn't improved. Of course the fact is that the attendances in the last few months of the season increased a lot. By about 200 a game in fact. That's around £2000 extra a game roughly. Simon must be getting paid a hell of a lot of money for him to 'not be worth' his job. :?
I don't think anyone has said people in the office should be sacked. However IF its true that the money to be spent on front facing operations (i.e. the team) has been reduced this year then surely this should be applied to all areas.

Anyway I don't know if its true that the budget has been cut just saying that it makes business sense (and no i don't think I am a better business man than either Matt or Paul - however i've never been declared bankrupt :lol: ).

Wannabe2

Isnt it about time we knocked this on the head, why dont we see who G signs first before we start commiting harri carri. If he comes up with the goods, as i am sure he will then that will be hunky dori. If he re- signs Robert Millette, Todd Gillingham, Cugnet etc, then we can have the revolution of the century. We have the base that we needed signed up already, now its a waiting game to see who is available and at what price. Lots of Players wont committ at the moment, and the same can be said for coaches, as the paint isnt yet dry on last season. The only person who knows exactly whats going on is the coach, and thats exactly how it should be.
HAPPY SUMMER DAYS

Totally agree Wanabee, things are looking fine so far from where I am sitting and we will have 2 MBA signings pretty soon it seems. I guess when those guys come in we can really start to see the ambitions of the club this year, but its going to take the whole summer before we get the full picture.

osh

Wannabe2 said:
Isnt it about time we knocked this on the head, why dont we see who G signs first before we start commiting harri carri. If he comes up with the goods, as i am sure he will then that will be hunky dori. If he re- signs Robert Millette, Todd Gillingham, Cugnet etc, then we can have the revolution of the century. We have the base that we needed signed up already, now its a waiting game to see who is available and at what price. Lots of Players wont committ at the moment, and the same can be said for coaches, as the paint isnt yet dry on last season. The only person who knows exactly whats going on is the coach, and thats exactly how it should be.
HAPPY SUMMER DAYS
With respect Wannabe2. It's been healthy debate so far and at this stage of the off season I see no reason why people can't speculate or ask questions accordingly. So, as for knocking this on the head, no, I don't think its time at all. Now, the memories of Millette and Gillingham are bad ones! You should be censored for even mentioning their names :shock: ;)

Wannabe2

osh said:
Wannabe2 said:
HAPPY SUMMER DAYS
With respect Wannabe2. It's been healthy debate so far and at this stage of the off season I see no reason why people can't speculate or ask questions accordingly. So, as for knocking this on the head, no, I don't think its time at all. Now, the memories of Millette and Gillingham are bad ones! You should be censored for even mentioning their names :shock: ;)
Okay i will reiterate that with, Swan, Zeishe, and that master of disguise Steve Feore. Hows that any better.