Paul Ragan to take over the Steelers

Not that I'm saying what PR said wasn't the truth - but did we really expect him to say anything else. He wasn't exactly going to come out and tell us anything we didn't want to hear. It'd be the same if we asked him questions directly.

I disagreewith te comments about it being the same as the Nottingham / Braehead and Coventry / Hull ownerships as well. In those ownerships, there's clearly "prefered teams" otherwise how would Nottingham and Coventry have all the best players. I really can't see that being any different next season either. I can see us become the Braehead / Hull-like "second" team with Steelers getting all the best players next season -maybe it'd be taking the mick too much to actually take current Devils players but who knows.

I hope he proves me and all the cynics wrong (going on this thread I think that's a lot of us), but actions speak louder than words so lets just see in 6 / 12 / 18 months time what actally happens.

James

Administrator
phil PLT said:
All you Mods now seem to be pessimistic, why don't you collectively get it off your chests? ;)
I was being pessimistic but I've decided just to enjoy the season. Still got 1/2 a season left this year and we are still in the mix, not 'building to the playoffs' yet. We've got a great team with some great individuals. What happens happens. I'm going to enjoy the games in front of me :)

Rempel16

ledgend777 said:
Not that I'm saying what PR said wasn't the truth - but did we really expect him to say anything else. He wasn't exactly going to come out and tell us anything we didn't want to hear. It'd be the same if we asked him questions directly.

But at the same time, PR is a credible and respected businessman. If things are different to how he says they are then it's not the wisest move for his reputation to stand in front of 800 fans and ''lie''.

For that reason, I have no reason to doubt that he was telling the truth.

It seems that somebody somewhere in the club is leaking information. And I wonder whether the latest rumours from last night have been made up and fed to a suspected 'leak' to try to expose the said 'leak'.

Although, what PR said about wanting perhaps 16 teams over two divisions, suggests that his vision involves the inclusion of EPL teams in the league.

Koop11

Asked by The Star which of the two teams he'd like to see finish top of the League, Ragan replied "Sheffield - when I'm in Sheffield and Cardiff - when I'm in Cardiff."

I noticed last night when Brent asked him a similar question he gave the politician’s answer. In fairness, he cannot say which club as it wouldn’t be fair on the other.

I’d like to think that deep down there is a love for the sport that has grown on him and certainly that he regards his club as the Devils.

TheStub said:
Plus, he was saying some good stuff about the league, sustainability and moving it all forward. I would love to quiz him about all that at great length.
What are the chances of being able to arrange a 1-2-1 Q&A session with Paul? Q's being asked be a representative of the fans and The Inferno fan forum? Its unlikely to achieve any huge media coverage, so in the interests of keeping the fans informed, surely Paul might be willing to have some sort of Q&A sesh for the benefits of sharing on the fan forum and perhaps even roping in Terry to put it into the newspaper? As long as its kept calm and open minded - Pauls a businessman and he understands all this.

Finny

James said:
I was being pessimistic but I've decided just to enjoy the season. Still got 1/2 a season left this year and we are still in the mix, not 'building to the playoffs' yet. We've got a great team with some great individuals. What happens happens. I'm going to enjoy the games in front of me :)
Amen. With all this recent doom and gloom and rumours it wasn't until someone posted on here about our winning streak that I remembered how damn awesome our current team is.

Finny

Koop11 said:
I feel PR seemed a little peed off that he felt he had to justify his business dealings last night.
Glad I wasn't the only one who thought that too. Which I guess is a good sign, if he wasn't sincere he would have been more nervous and avoiding the important questions.

I admit that I was worried when I heard about the Steelers takeover and what it would mean for the Devils. I needed to hear Paul Ragan say that he wasn't going to just dump the Devils but he was in it for the foreseable future. Of course he is not going to be here forever but it also appears that he has no plans to sell or leave at the moment. That's settled my worries and I can look forward to the Coventry games, plus it would seem this might make even more sense in the not too distant future.

Of course, people will say that he just told us what we wanted to hear. But from when I've spoken to Paul Ragan and heard him speak, he is very proud of his reputation in the business world. There are times since he took over when he could have been more vocal and reactional, but he doesn't want it to damage his reputation and affect his businesses - which in the end are what gives him the money to buy two hockey clubs.

To then stand in front of 1000 people and tell them one thing and then do the opposite the next day would undo all that good work and ruin his reputation.
Yes that is what Bob did - but never had anything close to a good reputation. He could stand up and lie to our faces and it still couldn't change our impression of him.

Asked by The Star which of the two teams he'd like to see finish top of the League, Ragan replied "Sheffield - when I'm in Sheffield and Cardiff - when I'm in Cardiff."

I'm confused - so is he coming and going season by season? The only way we could both be top is if we were in different leagues :?

I don't care if he was "peed" off, 99% of fans were worried about this takeover, rumors were flying about, we are the smaller club in nearly every way. We just needed clarification for the club we love!

Finny

samidevils said:

I'm confused - so is he coming and going season by season? The only way we could both be top is if we were in different leagues :?
I think it means he wants both teams to do well whilst not wanting to show favouritism which might upset either set of fans.
When Bob was in this situation he told us first that we were still his #1 club and he was just using the Steelers to make extra profit to cover our losses when we moved rinks.
A couple of days later he told Sheffield fans that his time in Cardiff was just a practise before taking on Sheffield and he would turn them back into the #1 team in the league.

Ragan has done nothing like that - and has been very careful to mention both clubs as often as possible and so not hint towards favouritism for either club.

James

Administrator
samidevils said:
I think he just means that when he's got his Sheffield hat on (and we all know no one looks good in teal and orange) he'll be doing everything he can for Sheffield, and when he's got his Cardiff hat on he's 100% Cardiff. Remember he's a businessman and whereas the 2 businesses are competitors on the ice the businesses have shared goals and should be helping each other off the ice. That goes for all Elite teams, it's in every teams interest for the other teams to do commercially well.

Skippy

James said:
I think he just means that when he's got his Sheffield hat on (and we all know no one looks good in teal and orange) he'll be doing everything he can for Sheffield, and when he's got his Cardiff hat on he's 100% Cardiff. Remember he's a businessman and whereas the 2 businesses are competitors on the ice the businesses have shared goals and should be helping each other off the ice. That goes for all Elite teams, it's in every teams interest for the other teams to do commercially well.

Hmmm a teal and Orange hat... nice

TheStub

He actually said last night it would be one business with two trading names.

He isn't just buying the Steelers, the Devils and Steelers off ice organisations are becoming one.

Have we just married the Steelers?

Finny

I'd prefer to think of them as our pet.

Or maybe an endangered animal you sponsor from afar and get a letter from once every Christmas.

Koop11

James said:
http://www.skysports.com/opinion/story/0,25212,16729_6608783,00.html
Love how that is written.

Steelers are our half brother it would seem. We're the older brother though, remember that Sheffield ;)

I think it says in the contract that we get a crayon drawing from Steve Munn every few months :) this week he has drawn a house. Well done Steve, keep it up!

Kipper

I had the opportunity to speak with Paul Ragan before the match last night and his rationale behind this decision makes good sense both in business and hockey terms. After speaking with Paul,my view is that this move will strenthen the future of the Devils and importantly the survival of the league, not hinder it.He spoke genuinely of the bond that had grown between himself, G and this group of players and I found this very encouraging.

Paul has thought this through and is aware of perceptions and concerns of Devils fans but is adamant that he is in Cardiff for the long term and wants nothing but success for the club.I firmly believe that both the Devils and Steelers will be operating on a level playing surface and it will be up to the respective coaches and players on the ice to decide who will be most successful. The alternative really is the collapse of the Elite League and the Devils in the EPL.I would still be happy to watch this standard of hockey but I am aware that a lot of fans are not.

I looked the man straight in the eye and I believe his motives are honest and genuine unless I have become a very bad judge of character overnight. I honestly do not think we have anything to worry about.

Gospel

Having listened to PR last night he seems sincere with what he said and that he wont be leaving us, which i think is what concerns most people, with us then being unable to sustain ourselves. he answered that question.

He may well be a bit pee'd at people questioning his business venture but as fans, whether it be hockey of any other sport, all we wanted to know was if he would be staying or going. Doesnt that show a commitment & dedication from us fans, which is the very thing he is after?

The only way we will know for sure i guess is by what happens in the future and only PR really knows.

Merry Christmas one and all, ive finished work and going to enjoy the company of the local pub for a bit :)