Paul Ragan to take over the Steelers

DevilDom

Thread starter #181
I had a chat with Paul Ragan last night too.

Although he tactfully avoided my question of "If Steelers played Devils in the Play-Off final who would you want to win?" :twisted: he did say a lot of things that made sense from a business point of view.

Whilst I would not have expected anything else and i'm not totally convinced (yet) I guess actions speak louder than words so i'll reserve judgement for now and see how things progress.

Although to be fair to Paul, I doubt very much he gives two flying toots which team WINS any cups/silverware. He is a businessman - he's looking to make money and earn a penny and enjoy himself at the same time. Now he has two of the big five to enjoy watching playing, knowing that every penny of the revenue is his (well..... most of it :cool: )

If I were him, I certainly wouldnt give a hoot who won.

DevilDom

Thread starter #183
Clare said:
Although to be fair to Paul, I doubt very much he gives two flying toots which team WINS any cups/silverware. He is a businessman - he's looking to make money and earn a penny and enjoy himself at the same time. Now he has two of the big five to enjoy watching playing, knowing that every penny of the revenue is his (well..... most of it :cool: )

If I were him, I certainly wouldnt give a hoot who won.
But he can't expect fans to believe that he is passionate about the Devils if he doesn't care if they win any silverware? He can claim to be passionate about the business and making money though. I'm fine with that because if we are a succesful business then we will more than likely have to have success on the ice too.

With regards the fact some people feeling that he is getting pee'd off with fans questioning his private business dealings - if he is he clearly doesn't know much about UK Ice Hockey and its fans if didn't expect some sort of fan reaction. After all the Devils and Steelers have got a lot of history and bad blood between them.

I think the guy is passionate about Ice Hockey and is a breath of fresh air to the Elite League. Would he answer a question like DevilDom asked "If Steelers played Devils in the Play-Off final who would you want to win?" what did you honestly expect him to say :roll: Either way he would have lost with one set of supporters.

Finny

Wannabe2 said:
There should be a good interview with Paul all about this subject on the next Sky Hockey program, think its 7ish on Friday.
I thought they said last week that it would be 1am Christmas Day?

Finny said:
Wannabe2 said:
There should be a good interview with Paul all about this subject on the next Sky Hockey program, think its 7ish on Friday.
I thought they said last week that it would be 1am Christmas Day?
Its on: Friday 7pm, sky sports 3
Saturday 3am, sky sports 3
Saturday 7am, sky sports 2

ASHIPP

Paul Ragan certainly sounded like he was trying to appeal to some of the sceptics when he spoke to Brent at the Hull match just before Chrimbo.

The takeover of the Steelers is undoubtedly a good move for the stability of that club and the League itself, already fragile with the instability of Vipers and Capitals at the mo. Paul is also a very shrewd businessman and sees the obvious potential of Sheffield, if marketing and steered properly. He's clearly a man who loves a challenge and there will be a hell of a lot to do to apply the same business model successfully at Steelers. However, if it does become successful, there will no doubt be a much bigger and viable financial proposition there than the Cardiff operation can produce at present.......that was alluded to where Paul was talking about comparable gate receipts and re-investment.

It's understandable that folks down here as sceptical. Afterall, it was only 8 months ago that PR was standing on the ice at the BBT telling the Red Army that 'we will have the best team and the best facilities by the end of next season'. THE BEST TEAM, we definitely DO have. As for everything else, there is still a lot of work to be done, which PR was clear about.
We can only hope that the challenge of re-building the Steelers organisation doesn't mean that the Devils will be discarded in PR's priorities.

PR says we must trust him - he is a shrewd businessman and , as far as we can see, a man of integrity. As long as all is fair and equal, then he will be true to his word - there is no reason to disbelieve that. :cool: Then the future for the Devils is still red, black and white. :D