Paul Ragan to take over the Steelers

kettdevil1

Wannabe2 said:
phil PLT said:
Sorry really can't be bothered to read through 11 pages of this thread. But I will say lets give the guy a chance before we go completely overboard on this and spread doom and gloom everywhere.
I'm still positive about the Devils and their future.
Think this post should be deleted, and the poster banned for life, as its far too sensible for this topic. What your problem Phil, isnt it the time of year when your supposed to have your head up your rear end, how dare you be so incredibly positive. If i bump into you tonight, i will do the most awful thing to you, and buy you a beer, see how you like that you twisted twisted man you.
HAPPY SUICIDAL HOCKEY DAYS.
I was going to post something similar - does that mean I get a beer as well?! :lol:

My first reaction is that it is great news for the league, what it means for the Devils is a little more cloudy...

Wannabe2

jcb said:
I don't beleive multi millionaires buy sports clubs to make massive profits (and that goes for all sports). You get the odd exception but it is normally a bit of a passion, hobby, interest whatever you weant to call it. Of course nobody wants to make a loss but if all you want to do is make huge profits there are a lot of easier ways to do it than buying a sports club.

As we all know the potential of making profits in cardiff is limited by our current circumstances and now to an extent the limitations that we will have continuing to rent a PI facility. Sheffield undoubtedly has the potential to make a larger return so do you put all your eggs into one basket and run down the Devils whilst ensuring the maximum potential profitability from Sheffield, or do you put both clubs on a level footing and use the potential extra revenue from Sheffield to ensure you have both clubs competitive in the same league.

The EIHL will only benefit from Tv money from the likes of Sky once it has shown itself to be an attractive competitive product with a stable group of clubs competing in it. Leaving the Devils to eventually slide into oblivion makes no sense and it is far more likely that Sheffield and other EIHL clubs will benefit from having a strong competitive league.

On a more positive note maybe a certain Yorkshire club will now stop calling for the head of one of our players whenever he breathes on one of their players.
Oh my god i cant handle more positive sensible posts, think i need a lie down, if the Devils win tonight that will just about see me off.

Wannabe2

kettdevil1 said:
Wannabe2 said:
phil PLT said:
Sorry really can't be bothered to read through 11 pages of this thread. But I will say lets give the guy a chance before we go completely overboard on this and spread doom and gloom everywhere.
I'm still positive about the Devils and their future.
Think this post should be deleted, and the poster banned for life, as its far too sensible for this topic. What your problem Phil, isnt it the time of year when your supposed to have your head up your rear end, how dare you be so incredibly positive. If i bump into you tonight, i will do the most awful thing to you, and buy you a beer, see how you like that you twisted twisted man you.
HAPPY SUICIDAL HOCKEY DAYS.
I was going to post something similar - does that mean I get a beer as well?! :lol:

My first reaction is that it is great news for the league, what it means for the Devils is a little more cloudy...
See you at the bar, its all getting much too much for me now. :lol:

Finny

Chris said:
Unlikely.

We're all holding off from saying anything just at the moment hoping the club will say something first, although I don't hold much hope in that happening just at the moment.

Chris.
Fair enough.
How long will you give the club to say something before the Inferno announce it instead?

Chris

Administrator
Fair enough.
How long will you give the club to say something before the Inferno announce it instead?
Depends what sort of statements come out of the club I suppose.

There are enough people talking, and what has been rumoured previously has actually become reality, including todays grand announcement...

Chris.

Gospel

toy_car_uk said:
Gospel said:
PR isnt going to keep putting money, time & effort into us if the Steelers are going to make him more money.
and we know that the steelers are going to make more money how?
Are we talking turnover or profit?

I worked in a supermarket, The store I worked in happened to be one of the smaller ones, a few miles away there was a massive regional show store. The regional show store had was taking £3 for every £1 of the store I worked in, yet at the end of the day when all the costs were taken into account the store I worked in made more profit for the company than the show store and I am not talking as a % of the takings either.

I have no idea what kind of costs are involved with Devils or the Steelers, but imagine that the break even point if far greater for the Steelers.

Look at this way. Devils have been able to turn things around with PR with regards to advertising, season ticket sales, merchansdise & everything that goes on behind the scenes which most of us dont know about. We dont own the BBT and the capacity is low therefore income is limited & profit is therefore limited. The new place wont have a massive capacity either and seems to have less opportunity to increase our commercial appeal to sponsors/supporters.

If, as PR says, the Steelers will have similar funding made available to them as what is made available to us now, they can bring in good players from NHL/AHL then with the larger capacity of the H.o.S the income will be greater. I appreciate the costs for running a match night at a bigger arena will also increase costs but overall profit will be greater than we can offer PR.

Seems that a lot of the day to day work is going to be run from the Devils office in Cardiff so the money spent on management will be minimal. The talk is that a breakeven amount of 3500 fans per game is needed and anything above that would therefore seem to be profit. Will that go into the PR "hockey kitty" or will it be put into a "Steelers kitty" for self support?

My fear is that if the Steelers attract the huge crowds week in week out why would PR want any involvement with us for a minimal profit when the larger profit is at the Steelers? Is he only keeping with us just in case it doesnt work out the way he wants with the Steelers? He can at least then say well ive still got the devils which is a success.

We dont appear have any imminent millionaires willing to take over from PR if he decides to leave.

Just my concerns & i think someone needs to give some explanation as to what the position is & will be.

If he is planning on keep the Devils for a long time, what is the whisperings and announcements Chris & co are talking about. It smells as fishy as a brad voth ban review!

Wannabe2

Okay so Paul ditches the Devils and they go to the wall, he is now drawing in crowds of 5-6000 but has now lost 4-5 games against the now defunct Devils. 5 games x 5000 punters = 25,000 at a average of £10 = £250,000, now that makes good business sense, as that amount would have more than bought the Steelers for him in the first place. Now thats what i call a very shrewd business head.

Wannabe2

DevilDan said:
If he is planning on keep the Devils for a long time, what is the whisperings and announcements Chris & co are talking about. It smells as fishy as a brad voth ban review!
With all due respect to Chris and co, i wouldnt imagine these guys know any more than the rest of us. Could be wrong though as they were big buddies with BP. ;) ;) ;)

I wasnt digging at Chris at all, just when he said he was waiting to see what the club announced before he said what he knew, I took that as Chris did actually know something was doing the decent thing by letting the club tell us before it came out on the forums.

I just want to know what happens to the team, you, I and everyone else on the this board hold close to our hearts. Good news or bad. I'd just like to know so we could go about the next steps!

If I've missed this in the devils statement I apologise but it's quite interesting that on that statement it doesn't reaffirm Paul's commitment to the devils. You'd expect something along the lines of - 'we can assure devils fans that this will have no impact on the club' blah blah. The fact that it doesn't even say that is worrying

TheStub

Re: Re: Paul Ragan to take over the Steelers

Wannabe2 said:
There you go what more do you want.
A formal meeting with some real time to ask questions? Not a quick 10 minutes.

This is a major announcement and we deserve a bit more than that.

Finny

Gohabsgo said:
If I've missed this in the devils statement I apologise but it's quite interesting that on that statement it doesn't reaffirm Paul's commitment to the devils. You'd expect something along the lines of - 'we can assure devils fans that this will have no impact on the club' blah blah. The fact that it doesn't even say that is worrying
Well he has said that both teams will have the same budget and the better team will be decided on the ice, not off it. I thought I also read/heard somewhere that he was hoping to re-sign both Simon and Adams ahead of next season?

Tylor Seguin to sign for us, a new rink run and operated by the Devils, some more vegetarian options at the BBT, this snow to go away so I know I can make both the Blaze clashes with no potential hiccups, New Jersey to start winning games, a win tonight, followed by a league win, a cup win and the playoffs making it a treble and a special progam on sky in the summer called "The Year Of The Devil", Paul to go back on his deal and stick with us for ever, and a real league run by compitent people.

Why? ;)

Finny

Re: Re: Paul Ragan to take over the Steelers

TheStub said:
Wannabe2 said:
There you go what more do you want.
A formal meeting with some real time to ask questions? Not a quick 10 minutes.

This is a major announcement and we deserve a bit more than that.
I'd like both. But seeing as Christmas is in 2 or 3 days time I would guess it would be tricky to organise such a thing before the New Year, especially with more bad weather forecast next week.

I'd be more worried if they said a Q&A session would be arranged at some time in the future.