Paul Ragan to take over the Steelers

august04

samidevils said:
In a way I hope Ragan is there tonight and makes a speech/statement to the fans.

I think it is needed to clear up a few things.
If he's there tonight, I'm sure he will try to re-assure fans which will no doubt be lapped up by the happy clappers!
Short term, I don't think it will make much difference to the Devils, although we may see Weller in a Steelers shirt next year! I am worried about the medium term though. If he manages to turn around Steelers fortunes, given that the opportunities for making money in Cardiff are limited by losing the tender for the new rink, they will surely be the main focus of attention. I wouldn't blame him for that - the guy is a successful businessman and money is king. It's not as if he has a long standing love for the Devils either is it? For me, it might be easier to take if it wasn't that rabble either.
Worrying times and another blow for league credibility - although we're on a level playing field with the other multi-team owners now! The only positive for me - we may finally have got rid of BP from UK ice hockey, unless he buys the Devils again with his £90,000!

TheStub

It could work, if Regan has no input into the hockey.

As others have said, if each team has an independent GM and coach - and they are responsible for the recruiting, with no input from the owner, then all OK.

My worry is this is the precursor to the divesting of the Cardiff Devils. The news about the rink hasn't been what the team needed, and if the PR can't see a way to make the team profitable he would be right to move on.

Here is hoping that the new Ice Arena plans will meet the requirements of an EIHL team, and that Cardiff will be a better prospect for longer term investment.

Gazza272

august04 said:
Worrying times and another blow for league credibility - although we're on a level playing field with the other multi-team owners now! The only positive for me - we may finally have got rid of BP from UK ice hockey, unless he buys the Devils again with his £90,000!

Or Newcastle.....

Rempel16 said:
Maybe I'm being a little short-sighted or possible seeing what I want to see, but.....

I don't see the problem with this move. Paul Ragan's quotes have not said he is done with the Devils, merely that he's taking over another team in the league to run in conjunction with his current team (us).

The budget's handed out will be the same I'm sure, as the extra revenue picked up in Sheffield can make up for the shortfall in the Devils capacity.

It's fine for him to set both coaches targets as the league title. It simply means that one of them (if not both) are going to fall short. I think with the history of both teams in UK hockey, and our re-emergence as a force this season, he would be foolish not to have the championship as his target.

With regard to off-ice decisions made through the league (fixtures, bans etc) it can only be a good thing as it seems that we are always shafted by Sheffield. At least now, any decisions made should come from a neutral perspective.

We shouldn't forget too quickly that Paul Ragan has shown his committment by sanctioning the signing of Craig Weller. Surely he'd have been going through the takeover process as far back as then, yet still committed to us.

The loss of tendership for the arena is a drawback and certainly makes us a less attractive asset, however, Coventry have been the most successful team of the Elite League era and they operate out of a Planet Ice facility so we can make it work too.

I like that Paul Ragan hints towards the enforcing of a wagecap in the Walesonline article. Good for the stability of the sport. This is a big advantage of less owners for more teams also, as it's not in Paul Ragan, Neil Black, Buxton/Cowley etc interests to smash a wage cap when it could affect another club under their ownership.

To be honest, I would personally like to see less owners over all of the teams, perhaps even one owner for all 10! Whilst not being the sensible option for other sporting leagues, it could be the catalyst to take ice hockey to the next level in this country. Here's why:

The 1 owner would be profit driven of course, therefore he/she would have a vested interest in ensuring that marketing models are in place for all teams to bring fans through the doors.

It would also significantly level the playing field. The revune could be collected from all rinks/arenas and divided equally back into each club. Each club then has exactly the same budget, ensuring that the best rescruiting coach wins the title race. But imagine the excitement generated by every single team having a chance to win the elusive league trophy from the outset. Every game would be determined by who wants it more on the night and literally any team could beat any team, without a lot of the 'foregone conclusion' games we have at the moment.

How many sports/leagues throughout the world can boast that?

So ideally, I'd like to see all the teams brought under one ownership (even if it means 6 owners having equal share over 10 teams).

Perhaps Paul Ragan is thinking in similar terms.

Bit of rambling in there, sorry!!!!
Great, great post and could not agree more

TheStub

I think what is needed is a proper fan forum and QA with the management. Something during or after the game wont cut it, IMHO.

Book a venue, open the floor and answer questions.

rolf

i have heard mutterings that the steelers are due to be moving to a new facility in rotherham sometime in the future, now wouldn't it be ironic if pi won the tender for that little lot and erected some cheapo monstrosity much we might get in the future, eventually, sometime soon, put back a bit due to the recession, in a sports village comprising of flats and hotels and NO sports facilities to mention etc

but as long as they sell chips and soup it will be just fine rinky dinky doooooo

talking of rotherham, isn't that where they film league of gentlemen? with some new pr jobs up for grabs, perhaps papa lazarou might get to say helloooooooooooooo dave again? bah humbug deja vue strikes again.

TheStub said:
I think what is needed is a proper fan forum and QA with the management. Something during or after the game wont cut it, IMHO.

I'd go, suggest it.

TheStub

Mark666 said:
TheStub said:

I'd go, suggest it.
I have... we shall see what will be said.

Unless the news is bad, and they wont want to say anything :(

wildthing74

I feel sick to my stomach hearing this.I have held off posting for a few to try and get my head around it and not just fire off in a knee jerk sort of way.
I have read many respected posters points of view but for me I can't see any good for US in the long term.
We have been down this road and we know how it ended and whilst the personnel may be different this time I fear a similar outcome.
Bottom line for me Sheffield are already where we are trying to get to in terms of stadia and fan or potential fan base.This allows them a much faster growth potential whilst we are stilling hanging on waiting to get a a new rink/arena and even then leaves us with less than half capacity that Ragan can use to sell to.
Bottom line the guy is a businessman and the financial return has a much more likely potential to be higher in South Yorkshire.Yes there will be bigger overheads in the arena etc but they can get 7k or saying paying guests through the doors to our 2k.
I don't buy the equal budget thing at all.What return is he going to get spending the same on a business that has a turnover of less than half of the other?
I really want to see this a good thing for UK hockey,the league,us whatever but 1 guy can only do so much and this new venture will drag him in 2 directions and can't believe both could be impartial to the other so there is no conflict.
I guess we will have to wait and see and maybe any fears will be unfounded but Sheffield as of now can offer him more in terms of financial return and lets be honest thats what its all about.
We as fans have a passion that maybe any owner cannot have and maybe rightly so.If it were me and I had the money I would run the club by trying spend and out compete the likes of Belfast and Nottingham etc year after year but guys like him prove you dont become successful in businss by letting your heart rule your head.

zoesdevil

In any case we can't start saying it's only going to end up bad news for Devils as he's only just taken over the Squeelers, give a few months to see what happens and then judge PR and voice your opinions, don't slate him straight away!! He's definitely not a Bob Phillips!!! Or doesn't seem to be!!! Get behind our team and support them until something does happen, if it will!!!

wildthing74

zoesdevil said:
In any case we can't start saying it's only going to end up bad news for Devils as he's only just taken over the Squeelers, give a few months to see what happens and then judge PR and voice your opinions, don't slate him straight away!! He's definitely not a Bob Phillips!!! Or doesn't seem to be!!! Get behind our team and support them until something does happen, if it will!!!
Who has slated Paul Ragan?
He speaks of getting the crowds back next year and marketing the club better again,Vother in a Steelers uniform finally? :eek:

Skippy

I’m oddly optimistic about all this. I’m a glass half empty and the full half is something grim (Pernod) kind a guy normally but I don’t in anyway see this as a bad thing.

-The league is stronger with Sheffield than without and this removes the question mark over then somewhat.
-Without Sheffield, I wonder how Nottingham would do in the long run? I think the league would fall like dominos one after the other.
-Rightly or wrongly lots of us have always thought the sooner Bob Phillips leaves the EIHL the better. That’s now happened
-With two teams the amount of Clout Paul Reagan has goes up.
-We always say that we play fair with the wage cap now we know that the Sheffield organization will as well?
-The Devils management now handles things; like Voth’s recent suspension for example; in a very correct and professional fashion no tattling in the press no slur campaigns. With a change of ownership we could maybe expect that ethos to move to the Steelers as well.
-If I owned two teams I’d want them both to win everything and on a level playing field. The profit in the long run comes from door takings these takings can only benefit from good and fair competition between a good sized league.

Russky

Deja Vu, I remember a similar scenario about 4 years ago! Although I feel Mr Ragan's intentions MAY be more honourable this time around! That said, I do have a few questions for the said gentleman,and will be asking them of him should I get the chance!

As an Edinburgh Capitals fan I share your worries and disappointment. This season has been horrendous for Edinburgh and it was always going to be right from the start. We’re a low budget team that has always struggled to put out a competitive team but we’ve always managed to until now. Change in Elite ‘rules’ have seen to that.

How would you feel if Adams goes over to Sheffield along with half the team and the rest of the players are scattered throughout all the other teams that can offer big ££££s? Well I KNOW how it feels and it ain’t great. Looks like an 8-team league next season and yes I am upset as to how this season has panned out for a few of the teams.