Paul Ragan to take over the Steelers

freddieb said:
I don't think this will affect the devils and i'm 99.9% sure that Ragan won't be leaving the devils for many years to come. Paul has done a really good job since owning the team on and off the ice and people need to remember what he has done for the club. As Finny says I actually think this is great news for the league and the more people like PR owning EIHL clubs the better. For people who think it is going to be a big conflict of intrest lets just look at the nottingham/braehead situation, not only have nottingham's crowds gone up again but braehead who started from scratch are averaging 1200 people, has nottingham's budget been affected..most definitely not, has Braehead thrown games against nottingham...first game between the 2 nottingham 3-4 Braehead. Every team has its own GM and coach and people are crazy if they think coaches are going to be told to lose games, it just won't happen, I mean Hull have already beaten Coventry 3-1 and 5-1
I hope your optimism proves correct. But it's another nail in the coffin of EIHL credibility IMO, and I don't see how this can help Cardiff Devils.

Can you imagine if you were a Chelsea fan and Roman Abramovich suddenly bought Man United? You wouldn't be best pleased; an exciting new project for him, but the chance that Chelsea would take second place and eventually be discarded.

Hopefully PR will be true to his word, or at least if he does offload the Devils it will be to someone of the same ilk.

DevilDom

Thread starter #43
Wannabe - I appreciate the sentiment but I don't see the blaze / rays and panthers / clan situations as the same as ours.

Devils and Steelers are both big clubs and there will be times when Ragan will have to choose which one he backs more than the other.

Is he going to go on the ice at Sheffield's next home game and say he wants a team to win the title just like he has said to Devils fans on more than one occassion?

As for his influence increasing - how will this be used? To get our own way like Shuff and Panties have been doing for years? Making the league more of a mockery and putting more pressure on teams like the Vipers and Caps?

If his sentiment was for the good of the league and Ice Hockey why didn't he buy the Vipers? They are on the market and in much more need than Shuff? I could have lived with that. Truth is that it is all about money and he can't see the £ signs with the vipers but he can with the steelers.

Salsiccia1 said:
freddieb said:
I don't think this will affect the devils and i'm 99.9% sure that Ragan won't be leaving the devils for many years to come. Paul has done a really good job since owning the team on and off the ice and people need to remember what he has done for the club. As Finny says I actually think this is great news for the league and the more people like PR owning EIHL clubs the better. For people who think it is going to be a big conflict of intrest lets just look at the nottingham/braehead situation, not only have nottingham's crowds gone up again but braehead who started from scratch are averaging 1200 people, has nottingham's budget been affected..most definitely not, has Braehead thrown games against nottingham...first game between the 2 nottingham 3-4 Braehead. Every team has its own GM and coach and people are crazy if they think coaches are going to be told to lose games, it just won't happen, I mean Hull have already beaten Coventry 3-1 and 5-1
I hope your optimism proves correct. But it's another nail in the coffin of EIHL credibility IMO, and I don't see how this can help Cardiff Devils.

Can you imagine if you were a Chelsea fan and Roman Abramovich suddenly bought Man United? You wouldn't be best pleased; an exciting new project for him, but the chance that Chelsea would take second place and eventually be discarded.

Hopefully PR will be true to his word, or at least if he does offload the Devils it will be to someone of the same ilk.
Ice Hockey is not football in the UK, how many hockey interested multi-millionaires do you have in the UK? The EIHL needs it clubs to have the wealthiest owners and that is why this is so good for the league. There will not be a conflict of intrests on the ice, you think Brad Voth or gerad adams or any cardiff player would do that, no of course not, these are professional people and they would never do anything like that.

Devils will always be PR's number 1 team and I'm sure he will not sell them

E.D.S.

I can't help but think this is bad news. I appreciate the arguments everyone has put forward but I just can't see the benefit for us. Call it an inferiority complex but the Steelers have the potential for a better product than what Cardiff can offer at the present time whilst we remain in our BBT. The infrastructure is all there in Sheffield (pending the Yes product thing) and it seems to me that a lot of working captial is going to be needed to be pumped into Sheffield to make it a viable product. Achieving gates of c5000 is a realistic goal for the guys up North and one way to do that is to market the hockey club to the max and create a successful team year on year. Both require investment and I believe that will be investment over and above what Cardiff will recieve - so the "same budget" aspect is my biggest concern.

I just don't understand why you're permitted to have a stake in more than one club.

its an interesting thing to happen imo. looking back to the summer, when the cov lot when in a brought the stingrays back after they went bust. there was the possibility that the squeelers were gona go bust too. as much as everyone seems to hate them the league wouldnt be the same with out them. maybe ragen, with his newly acquired hockey understanding has realized this saw a plan, to buy them jsut before xmas, build them back into an financialy viable product and sell them back on. or on the flip side of the coin, even do the same with us!

however this cannot be a bad thing for the league atleast as we should be guaranteed a full load of teams in the league for next year, with sensible owners atleast they should be stable. again only time will tell and lets hope all works out ay!

Chris

Administrator
Worst possible scernario comes true, add another tick to the long list of rumours that are slowly coming true :cry:

I'll give it to the end of the season in the EIHL...

Chris :(

Rempel16

Maybe I'm being a little short-sighted or possible seeing what I want to see, but.....

I don't see the problem with this move. Paul Ragan's quotes have not said he is done with the Devils, merely that he's taking over another team in the league to run in conjunction with his current team (us).

The budget's handed out will be the same I'm sure, as the extra revenue picked up in Sheffield can make up for the shortfall in the Devils capacity.

It's fine for him to set both coaches targets as the league title. It simply means that one of them (if not both) are going to fall short. I think with the history of both teams in UK hockey, and our re-emergence as a force this season, he would be foolish not to have the championship as his target.

With regard to off-ice decisions made through the league (fixtures, bans etc) it can only be a good thing as it seems that we are always shafted by Sheffield. At least now, any decisions made should come from a neutral perspective.

We shouldn't forget too quickly that Paul Ragan has shown his committment by sanctioning the signing of Craig Weller. Surely he'd have been going through the takeover process as far back as then, yet still committed to us.

The loss of tendership for the arena is a drawback and certainly makes us a less attractive asset, however, Coventry have been the most successful team of the Elite League era and they operate out of a Planet Ice facility so we can make it work too.

I like that Paul Ragan hints towards the enforcing of a wagecap in the Walesonline article. Good for the stability of the sport. This is a big advantage of less owners for more teams also, as it's not in Paul Ragan, Neil Black, Buxton/Cowley etc interests to smash a wage cap when it could affect another club under their ownership.

To be honest, I would personally like to see less owners over all of the teams, perhaps even one owner for all 10! Whilst not being the sensible option for other sporting leagues, it could be the catalyst to take ice hockey to the next level in this country. Here's why:

The 1 owner would be profit driven of course, therefore he/she would have a vested interest in ensuring that marketing models are in place for all teams to bring fans through the doors.

It would also significantly level the playing field. The revune could be collected from all rinks/arenas and divided equally back into each club. Each club then has exactly the same budget, ensuring that the best rescruiting coach wins the title race. But imagine the excitement generated by every single team having a chance to win the elusive league trophy from the outset. Every game would be determined by who wants it more on the night and literally any team could beat any team, without a lot of the 'foregone conclusion' games we have at the moment.

How many sports/leagues throughout the world can boast that?

So ideally, I'd like to see all the teams brought under one ownership (even if it means 6 owners having equal share over 10 teams).

Perhaps Paul Ragan is thinking in similar terms.

Bit of rambling in there, sorry!!!!

What Noodleboy (and Rempel) said +1.

Lets not get too hasty. Now I'm more awake I don't necessarily think its such a bad thing. I suppose it depends how it's all handled. My opinion of the Hull situation was always i didn't mind the conflict of interest as it was a good thing Hull got saved from going under.

IMO the major issues will come in the off-season with budgets, buying players etc. Especially problematic if we end up sharing backroom staff.

Any news on who's in line to buy Vipers? Could PR be going for the set.