Panthers v Devils - 17/09 @ 19:00 - League & CC - Chat/Updates

kettdevil1

Again, if that is how you and others interpret the game, fine, I'm not interested in trying to belittle your opinions or try to change your viewpoints, I'm simple stating, as other posters do, my view point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Which of course is just as valid as anyone else's..... I would argue though that it was our tactics that forced the Panthers into that approach and away from their normal 'run and gun', and I would stick to my view that the Panthers got lucky rather than any great failings on our part, or great tactical insight from CN.....

Electro

Fine, l have no issue with your viewpoint of the game.

I wouldn't use the term argue though.

If our tactic was to place the Panthers into a defensive approach, away from their normal run and gun game, then we got it very wrong indeed, considering their nettie and missing 2 imports.

Devil_Abroad

I'd be a little more concerned with our forwards to be honest.
The poor result against the storm aside, we've only conceded 3 times. Once vs clan, which was a rebound from a very good bowns save and 2 away in Nottingham. One conceded with a tired line on the ice, the other an ENG. Taking into account the little amount of shots the Panthers actually had, statistically we appear to be defending quite well.

I also don't get the "we dominated possession, but didn't score, so therefore lack cohesion". When the opposition nettie is saving everything, your heads will naturally and ultimately drop. Think last night was just one of those days.
Disagree sorry - we did not have quality shots so we didn't test the netminder hence the lack of ideas in the offensive zone. When opposition D is playing well and keeping you on the outside you need your lines clicking to find a way through - they weren't.

Devil_Abroad

But the Panthers didnt dominate us, it was quite the opposite. We dominated, possession, attack time and shots. I wasnt at the game but their fans on the cage forum are saying how bad they looked compared to us, and how we'd have won that game 9/10. We didnt lose because of 'issues', we lost because we couldnt beat an in-form NM and a team who were forced to play a very defensive game because of our dominance.

There is no shame in losing away to Nottingham.
Sorry to disagree

We dominated possession but never looked like scoring. Their D kept us to the outside most of the game. We hardly had any quality chances. The guys put a lot of effort in but we needed a couple of lines to spark and be less individual - find space in the slot and pass quickly - there was no 'tic-tac-toe'

Imagine a tall boxer doing nothing but hold the opponents head at arms length whilst the opponent continues to air box all night. That's how it seemed.

kettdevil1

Fine, l have no issue with your viewpoint of the game.

I wouldn't use the term argue though.

If our tactic was to place the Panthers into a defensive approach, away from their normal run and gun game, then we got it very wrong indeed, considering their nettie and missing 2 imports.

Interesting, Lord got a lot of criticism last year for using the opposite tactics to last night (I.e. getting us to soak up the pressure before springing the counter attack) and despite the result, I would still maintain that our tactics last night have more chance of getting a result than the ones employed last year.

Electro

Interesting, Lord got a lot of criticism last year for using the opposite tactics to last night (I.e. getting us to soak up the pressure before springing the counter attack) and despite the result, I would still maintain that our tactics last night have more chance of getting a result than the ones employed last year.
Lord got a lot of criticism last year for lacking in several areas.

A broken clock is right twice a day.

Any "tactic" used in the correct situation, by competent players has a high chance of success. There are no last yrs tactics, there is not an infinite number of plays.

Devil_Abroad

Lord got a lot of criticism last year for lacking in several areas.

A broken clock is right twice a day.

Any "tactic" used in the correct situation, by competent players has a high chance of success. There are no last yrs tactics, there is not an infinite number of plays.

I have the feeling you don't rate Lord as a coach?

KaneDevils

Lord is an inexperienced coach. With that brings certain and obvious frailties. Some of these I believe we're highlighted last season and will almost certainly be this one too. But probably and hopefully, not as much. Lord has potential and a good attitude, and will improve with more experience.

It's not all about having the best players!

KaneDevils

Disagree sorry - we did not have quality shots so we didn't test the netminder hence the lack of ideas in the offensive zone. When opposition D is playing well and keeping you on the outside you need your lines clicking to find a way through - they weren't.

No need to apologise buddy.
A shot doesn't have to be from a quality area to score. You'd think law of average, having 25, 30 shots, that at least 1 or 2 would find twine.
Deflected off a skate, redirect, rebound, netminder error, etc. Sometimes you just don't get the rub.

My point originally was aimed more at the comments regarding our dodgy defence. 3 league games, 4 conceded. One of them an empty netter. Hardly cause for concern.

voth26

Again, if that is how you and others interpret the game, fine, I'm not interested in trying to belittle your opinions or try to change your viewpoints, I'm simple stating, as other posters do, my view point.

As I'm not trying yo belittle your opinions either, genuine question do you watch game at the IAW?

Devil_Abroad

No need to apologise buddy.
A shot doesn't have to be from a quality area to score. You'd think law of average, having 25, 30 shots, that at least 1 or 2 would find twine.
Deflected off a skate, redirect, rebound, netminder error, etc. Sometimes you just don't get the rub.

My point originally was aimed more at the comments regarding our dodgy defence. 3 league games, 4 conceded. One of them an empty netter. Hardly cause for concern.
Yes, we did have many shots with chances for deflections - we also have quite a few going wide or over the top. Another night we would expect a couple of deflections but last night you kind of got the feeling it wasn't going to be.

The D had a few moments last night but Bowns as ever me a couple of huge saves to dig us out. Fournier looks class skating forward but sometimes he gets caught which causes all kinds of panic back there - mind you a couple of times he was quick enough to catch up on the play!

I see the goals flew in tonight and against a goalie who's had a couple of great reviews.

If we dominate games like last night then we should win more than lose and I'd rather dominate than spend a majority of the game defending.

We are an upgrade on last year.