New Netminder - Phil Cook

Wannabe2

Young Cook had a very good 1st period, he did indeed contact the club himself after reading about Lacostas injury, he said I am good take a punt on me.

Sheincar said:
So Cook contacted Pope; not Pope recruited Cook.
Does it really matter? We're very fortunate that he did read about the sad situation with Lacosta and contacted the club.

Would you rather have not had a replacement for Lacosta as we did when Osaer was injured a few years back? That worked well if I remember correctly :roll:

Wannabe2

Very good debut by young Phil Cook tonight, well played young man, couldnt have been easy, but took the bull by the horns, good on you BOYO.ha ha.

Mooney#16

Having personally tried to get a few guys contracts within the EIHL and EPL let me just re assure you all that Cook contacting the club is nothing out of the ordinary. Clubs are seriously not that advanced to scout players. This will happen after first contact but that will be either club to an agent/ agency, player recommendation or a player approaching clubs. You want a career the onus is on you to go and get it so good on Cookie Monster for being switched on a professional enough to make the approach.

I like what I have seen of Cook so far.

He seems to have talent and is hungry, wants to play for example moving away from home this close to Christmas, and he made the initial contact to the club.

Hopefully Dan LaCosta will have time to coach him and develop that talent.

He had a reasonable game considering he has just flown in and maybe the D could be better organised in front of him, maybe we should get a D man as coach :) He made some good saves and seems to be trying to impress, possibly may be better than last season's mid term replacement, just have to see how it works out if the D plan comes together

wildthing74

Well I think this kid showed that he can play and I'm pleased that most people gave him a chance to play before writing him off as a poor signing.
I love the way he is comfortable with both hands and also seems to be very offensive on the PP,several times leaving the comfort of his crease to keep the puck moving and getting us back on the attack quicker.
I watched him in warm up and for a guy barely in our country 36 hours with all the travel he can be happy with his debut.Ive flown across the pond many times and am tired for days so to play pro sport so soon after takes a lot of mental and physical effort I'm sure.
Welcome to Cardiff Cookie and he seemed to love the welcome off the fans as he left the ice.

Gazza272

really impressed by him. Aggressive to the shooter which I think will help in our rink and read the play well. Lateral movement is a little shakey but Lacosta was great at that so he can surely help him. The goals he conceeded he could do little about but I did feel our d smothered him a bit at times.

All in all I left the game with confidence in him and even Sheffield fans I was with praised him. Good luck for the rest of the season cookie

TheStub

I'm looking forward to seeing him play. He obviously is focused on making it, and this is his chance to get a foot on the ladder.

In terms if him not being any better than Joe. No offence to Joe but he hasn't got the pedigree of any uni level starter in the states. You can't understate the competition for starting roles in North America.

Is there any connection to Dan? Was he a former student?

mazza03

Looking forward to tonight as I missed last week due to family party, well it's not every day your favorite son in law turns 50 :D Christmas hat and mince pies yay :Banana :pickle :Banana :pickle

wildthing74

Right I was pretty sure last night but tonight I've seen enough. He will do for me lets just make sure Shawn Limpwrist gets nowhere near him.

Awesome,just awesome.I don't recall a better home debut by any Devils player in any position for years.Last guy I recall the whole crowd going home buzzing about was Steve Cadieux.

Keep the good work up Mr Cook and hopefully we can finally move forward with a good and fit goalie.Dan was a massive hole to fill but fingers crossed we sone how managed it :D