New Netminder - Phil Cook

Wannabe2

Martynwo said:
Troy ? He was at the game on Sunday and I read somewhere he is here for Xmas
Troy ain't here for Xmas, he left the day after the Panthers game, Troy and his family were on holiday visiting Paris, London, and Cardiff the birth place of his son. Troy is extremely happy with the situation he is at, and that's fact.

Paul Sullivan said:
Martynwo said:
Troy ? He was at the game on Sunday and I read somewhere he is here for Xmas
Wouldn't surprise me if the offer had been made but TW would be mad to leave the great setup he's been in for the last few years (unless very unhappy of course) for our current Ringling setup.
Malky ?

Rempel16

Good to see that the club have acted so quickly and a well done must go to them for getting him in ready for the weekend.

I hope he doesn't get compared to Lacosta, it's quite clear that due to Dan's wage being honored we have taken a punt on an 'unknown' at a lesser cost.
I think it will be a good fit for both teams though:

For the Devils, with budget constraints we are looking for a netminder that is better than Joe Myers... With all due respect to Joe, Cook is going to be a better option.

For Phil Cook, he has a chance to prove himself and earn a pro contract, so it's likely that he will be motivated to impress. Add in that with DLC he will have a chance to learn from a guy who runs his own netminding school and has made it to the NHL and that can only be a good thing.

With regard to the weekend, is Conboy's ban now over, or is Saturday the final game?

voth26

I think cook will do just fine, ok so he is unknown and untested but seeing as he's prepared to fly across the pond this close to Christmas, (he may have been away from home in the states but even that's a hell of a lot closer than being here) for me he seems hungry and keen to impress. sometimes you get the best of a person when you know next to little about them. An example being Joonas in his first game, before hand he hadn't played much, was used to euro style hockey but he's fitted in ok and had a good game and came away with a point!!.

voth26 said:
I think cook will do just fine, ok so he is unknown and untested but seeing as he's prepared to fly across the pond this close to Christmas, (he may have been away from home in the states but even that's a hell of a lot closer than being here) for me he seems hungry and keen to impress. sometimes you get the best of a person when you know next to little about them. An example being Joonas in his first game, before hand he hadn't played much, was used to euro style hockey but he's fitted in ok and had a good game and came away with a point!!.
+1

Sadly there are number of posters on this forum that will choose to criticise the Club for the sake of criticising - Damned if they do, Damned if they don't.

I'm just glad none of the miserable so and so's won't be round my house this Christmas.

Ocko

As someone said kudos to the guy for coming across at this time of year. That couldn't have been an easy decision to make unless he really wants to prove himself and it must mean a lot to him to get this opportunity. It's not an easy decision as some people think, I spent Christmas in Afghanistan last year, the location was irrelevant, but spending Christmas with people you only know from your work rather than family is hard. This is one of the few import signings we've made where someone has to prove themselves rather than here because of education, missed out on AHL, last paycheck, or to travel.

Welcome to Cardiff, I'm sure you'll give it your all.

Seems really enthusiastic to be here and get going. Hopefully that enthusiasm will translate into some good goaltending.
Fingers crossed he gobbles up all those cookies ;-)

Ok so maybe doesn't have the great stats etc but I think this is a decent pick up for you guys. He will be looking to prove a point and as previously mentioned if LaCosta is there to help him then that can only be a positive.

Paul Sullivan

Armchair Coach said:
I'm just glad none of the miserable so and so's won't be round my house this Christmas.
It's not as if we can go to Brent's either. That place is getting fuller by the week. Still, fair play to the guy for looking for work.

voth26

Lets just get the whole of the red army behind phil and the guys and encourage them this weekend against the steelers like we did last week, safe journeys to the team and all going to sheffield. Im sure phil will get a massive red army welcome on sunday. also all the best to dan i would think its gonna be mighty strange for him knowing he isnt going to be suiting up again.