New Netminder - Phil Cook

Lloyd

Thread starter #1
The Smart Solutions Cardiff Devils announce the signing of American shot stopper Phil Cook arriving into the UK tonight via Chicago, Illinois. The 6'3, 195 pound former Minnesota State Mankato University grad is keen to impress and prove himself as a professional and competitor that can help the Devils win hockey games.

Cook commented, "Coach Pope has given me an opportunity to show what I can do and I am grateful for the opportunity. I know it has been difficult for the Club with Dan LaCosta's announcement this week and I think I can help and want to be a part of this club. It will hopefully be good for both sides and I understand the Club's ambitions this season."

Devils Managing Director Brent Pope, "Phil's a wildcard recruit for us but I feel confident that he can come do a job at an important time for us. There is no need to discuss what it is now behind us, we are moving forward and we need to focus on our games through the Christmas period building up towards our Wednesday January 8th Challenge Cup Quarter-final match in Cardiff v Fife Flyers. We haven't got time to stand around and wonder "what if" we have a job to do and Phil is coming here to help us do that."

The Devils hope that final paperwork and clearance will allow Cook to be in the lineup heading to Sheffield Steelers this Saturday and it is hoped he will make his home debut at the BBT on Sunday December 22nd, face-off 6pm. It promises to be a cracking Devils Christmas season and the players need your support Red Army.

Re: New Netminder

Seems a bit green but maybe this is his route into the professional game after uni and he'll be keen to impress.

Croeso Phil!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Good to see the club acting so quickly. Different to Lacosta but is Dan is staying around maybe he can work with Phil .

Welcome to Cardiff Phil :)

voth26

Ocko said:
A bit different from Lacosta is putting it mildly.
Well we aren't going to get NHL quality this time year?, at least the club are trying to fix the unfortunate situation quickly. Who knows he could be a gem in the rough. To be fair to him at least he wants to come help and be part of the team which given the goings on this season for me says a bit about the guy. Yeah he may be starting on his pro path but if we are fortunate to have Dan helping him who knows how he will fair. At least lets give phil the chance to land and show us what he's about. Welcome to Cardiff and the Devils Phil your very welcome

Gazza272

To be honest I would rather us take a risk on a guy from the NCAA than sign a journeman import who we know is average.

Brave move and good to see us yet again go into an unusual market for a player.

Best of luck to Phil The red Army are right behind you.

Ocko

Maybe I sounded a bit harsh comparing him to DLC. His stats and background are very similar to Dundee NM Bakala, and he hasnt turned out too bad.

I think we have a solid enough D so hopefully so long as he does a decent enough job we should have a better end to the season.

Ocko

Also, unless he has been signed a while that is ridiculously quick for a visa if he flies in tonight. Well done to whoever runs with that in the club but the delays of previous seasons have been so frustrating in the past.

Ocko

Wales online gives a bit more detail on Phil, encouraging that he has attended NHL camps and trains with the AHL team.

Also mention we have put out an offer to a coach, on a 2 year deal. Anyone got and ideas who this could be? Ive heard Clouts from Hull was approached at some point. Interesting that we are looking at someone else, I guess that dispels the posts that Pope has always been after the coaches job as it seems he's now stealing his own job and giving it to someone else!

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/ice-hockey/american-ice-hockey-netminder-phil-6432709

Paul Sullivan

Martynwo said:
Troy ? He was at the game on Sunday and I read somewhere he is here for Xmas
Wouldn't surprise me if the offer had been made but TW would be mad to leave the great setup he's been in for the last few years (unless very unhappy of course) for our current Ringling setup.

ASHIPP

Well done to the club for acting so quickly.
Our new goalie might be short on professional experience but several EIHL goalies did well through the NCAA route.
If the Team is fortunate to retain Dan for coaching this could be a great move. Our defence is solid and hopefully he will acclimitise to systems quickly.

Welcome to Cardiff, Phil and best of luck.