New D man signs....Name announced on Monday

Gaz G

Gazza272 said:
Seems Cardiff could tick all the boxes for Weller at this time.

New baby and he wants to try europe so lets see:

Free healthcare?
Same language so his wife can talk to someone should anything go wrong?
League with a proven track record of being a shop window for higher european leagues?
Take in the sights of the UK while he's here?

Think this season could tick all the boxes for him, he's only 29 and has millions in the bank. I'm sure a year on wages a little less glamarous wont be too much of a stretch for him. He also has time on his side to have a proper crack of europe later on.
Hope so because with all those millions in the bank i feel myself and craig could become solid buddies hahaha. Just really hope we get a full season from him. Feel he could be the catalyst we need to really kick on and dare i say it, challenge for league honours.

As Franny said, they may get a better offer from Europe at any time, although it looks like the Devils management have been quite smart by writing a two weeks notice clause into Weller's contract, meaning he can't "do a Sawyer" and just up and leave. If he does decide to leave, we'll have a fortnight to organise a replacement.

Hopefully he'll stay here until the end of the season, as I can see him being a real asset.

Giants brought in Brad Smyth as injury cover but they know hes looking to go to Europe so is playing until he finds another job.

I thought the same when Theo Fleury was announced to the Giants, until i see him on the ice in a Giants shirt i wont get to excited, while Weller may have signed a contract that means little nowadays and with other clubs looking then one with a higher offer may will seal the deal.

Im surprised the Devils announced it to be honest, if he walks away before even playing a game would it not look bad on the Devils organisation as sort of jumping the gun, why not wait until the week before he's due to arrive and then announce it less chance for him to go eleswhere.

Lokks a good player no doubt, thankfully he wont be here this Sunday.

Wannabe2

ggiant said:
Giants brought in Brad Smyth as injury cover but they know hes looking to go to Europe so is playing until he finds another job.

I thought the same when Theo Fleury was announced to the Giants, until i see him on the ice in a Giants shirt i wont get to excited, while Weller may have signed a contract that means little nowadays and with other clubs looking then one with a higher offer may will seal the deal.

Im surprised the Devils announced it to be honest, if he walks away before even playing a game would it not look bad on the Devils organisation as sort of jumping the gun, why not wait until the week before he's due to arrive and then announce it less chance for him to go eleswhere.

Lokks a good player no doubt, thankfully he wont be here this Sunday.
We wont need him this Sunday.

Chris

Administrator
I think the walesonline article said they were hoping/expecting Wellers first game to be the Nottingham game on the 13th of November...

Chris.

DevilDom

Well from a positive point of view I had 2 friends in work asking me when his first game was because they want to come and see it. 1 has never been to a hockey game (but i've been working on him for a while!) and the other used to go occassionally but is now considering taking is whole family down again! This is great for the Devils and shows the benefit of the tie up with the Echo.

On the negative side - anyone taking bets on how long he'll last? :twisted:
I also hope they've warned him about the set up and the tent in particular and he doesn't turn up take one look and say "I've not dropped this far in 2 years!". It could also have the potential to be very embarassing for the Devils if something like that happens.

Not trying to be negative and I think we should enjoy it while it lasts but we should also be slightly cautious too.

Wannabe2

DevilDom said:
Well from a positive point of view I had 2 friends in work asking me when his first game was because they want to come and see it. 1 has never been to a hockey game (but i've been working on him for a while!) and the other used to go occassionally but is now considering taking is whole family down again! This is great for the Devils and shows the benefit of the tie up with the Echo.

I also hope they've warned him about the set up and the tent in particular and he doesn't turn up take one look and say "I've not dropped this far in 2 years!". It could also have the potential to be very embarassing for the Devils if something like that happens.

Not trying to be negative and I think we should enjoy it while it lasts but we should also be slightly cautious too.
Could be worse he could play in a nice arena with no atmosphere what so ever, and a pretty ditty city. We may not have the best home in the league, but we have the best fans, and by far the best city, sometimes you just cant have it all. Welcome to Cardiff Craig, you and your family are gonna love it.

DevilDom

Wannabe2 said:
Could be worse he could play in a nice arena with no atmosphere what so ever, and a pretty ditty city. We may not have the best home in the league, but we have the best fans, and by far the best city, sometimes you just cant have it all. Welcome to Cardiff Craig, you and your family are gonna love it.
Very true. We definitely have the best City in the league and our fans create the best home atmosphere of anywhere. Hopefully all this will outweigh any minor negatives!

Wannabe2

It will my friend in 24yrs of supporting our great club, the imports who havent settled are very few and far between. We are very lucky to have our beautiful city, and number 1 fans.

Even if Weller doesn't last the season (and I hope he does), he could still give the team a huge boost in a relatively short time. Its happened before, Brigley, Ulmer, Stinger...

Looks a great signing!

TheStub

Re: Re: New D man signs....Name announced on Monday

DevilDom said:
Very true. We definitely have the best City in the league and our fans create the best home atmosphere of anywhere. Hopefully all this will outweigh any minor negatives!
Only because there isn't a Swansea team :D

Gospel

Has to be said that its a big big signing for us but there has to be that air of caution until he's arrived and actually on the ice for us. Im sure the 'bigger' teams in europe or even back in america will be looking at him and im sure nobody we begrudge him returning to a big team in the AHL or NHL.

Lets hope we can hold on to him as im sure he will settle here as so many previous imports have.

Big congratulations to the team for the signing.

TheStub

To me the statement the club is making with the signing is almost more important than the signing itself. I'm sure that they will be keeping a ear to the ground, so they can replace him quickly.

Remember, even though he has to give 2 weeks notice any negotiations between him and potential clubs would probably take as long. If he keeps us in the loop that is 4 weeks to find someone and bring them in.

Mind you, Weller will probably be getting at least twice the salary another player would get, so I doubt we would be bringing in another D along side him, but we would seem to have cash to splash on one or two guys if he were to leave.

Rempel16

Ger-Devils said:
Rempel16 said:
Well after being initially very excited about this signing, I will now hold off until I see him on the ice for the Devils. Personally I think he will get an offer elsewhere before he even gets here. I hope I'm wrong.
I'm wary of it but c'mon we can all enjoy seeing a player of his caliber in our team. It sends signals out to the arena teams that we mean business. Great business and will help our team in more ways than 1 he will.
But that's my point. I will certainly enjoy seeing him in team..... If he doesn't get poached before he even gets here.
I'm just going to stay calm until they announce that he's in the country and on the team sheet.

Although, the signings of Gleed, Seeley, Wedderburn, Hoffman, Globke, Simon this season do give me confidence that we could perhaps persuade him to stay once he's here. (I know he's a higher calibre of player, granted)

DevilDom said:
G has mentioned before that he always makes sure that players are fully aware of our lovely little tent before signing them. So i don't think it will come as too big a shock to weller, not something hes used to playing in though im sure :lol:.
I highly doubt he will jump ship before he's even played a game, is he even allowed to do that if he's signed a contract?
Even if he doesn't last that long its massive publicity for the devils and will be a huge boost for the games he does play. I wouldn't be surprised if his first game is a sell out, especially if it is against the vipers.
I cannot wait to see him play, not been this excited over a signing in a damn long time.