New Arena

Wannabe2

chillee said:
I'll just remind people that plans are made for 5-10 yr advancement. Looking also at "the bigger picture" that is not available to general public.

TK is a massive talent for UK hockey, not just the Cardiff Devils, the winds of change seen in Cardiff may well spread to changes within the league structure. Ambitious plans.

The current designed rink is a mistake, some ears didn't listen to the possibilities or look at the future. They could not see past 2015.

Sometimes it's better to buy a 3 bed house if you plan to have children before you get knocked up.
Thanks for your wisdom it's a revelation ,being able to see into the future and having such influence is a god given gift. Unfortunately us Morons in Cardiff are decades behind you, yesterday we had 1200 hardcore fans at most, but if we had your hindsight and Council influence we could have achieved so much more. Thanks for your views they are truelly helpful. 9 years of hard work for jack shite, when we could have just come to you, how friggin stupid are we. Oh and by the way would you have stumped up the extra 2-3 million for the extra land cost etc. we guys in Cardiff who are the ones that matter are excited with what we are getting, we are excited with the guys that own us, we are excited with our players, and we are excited to be fans of the greatest club in the UK. You may be known as Chillee, but you are far from hot compared to our team. Thanks for the amazing advise hopefully Todd will take it on board.
Happy Hockey Days

I'm sure TK and the new owners have ambitious plans. The club was perfect for development, has a proven record, strong loyal fan base, new rink. Let's just hope the new rink keeps it going.

mazza03

chillee said:
I'm sure TK and the new owners have ambitious plans. The club was perfect for development, has a proven record, strong loyal fan base, new rink. Let's just hope the new rink keeps it going.
Why don't you go away and find some thing else to be down about? We are excited to be having a new rink. :RAWK

Jones72

Let's just say that some people should have a mandatory signature on here that says "Who's that trip-trapping over my bridge?"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mooney#16

I believe the average league stats were published the other day with Nottingham top with about 5100.
As I've said previously when you really analyse the overheads, sponsorships and secondary revenues you get a better idea of the budgets for the respective teams as Nottingham, Sheffield, Belfast, Breahead, Coventry and Fife all attract larger attendances than the Devils.
The new arena and structuring of the concessionary revenues as well as increased secondary spends by fans and greater sponsorship avenues for TK along with the much beneficial rent free ice time means whilst I don't think blows the league open puts the Devils right up along side the Panthers in the Budget stakes and will eclipse some of the current leading teams due to there excessive overheads.
Granted if the arena was bigger the Devils would romp it but whilst good for Cardiff it would be bad for hockey in the UK so whilst myself I'd have said 4k would have been ideal when you factor it all in you can't call it a mistake on anyone's behalf. You can't get ahead of yourself here and just remember to be grateful of the opportunity that now falls in Cardiff hockey's lap.

And if down the line a larger arena is built in town I've read nothing yet to suggest this couldn't also be available to a paying customer. If you could guarantee a large gate split venues for increased income is no bad thing ala Steelers doing to reduce there cost base.

Pleximan

jodysstillagirlsname said:
James said:
By 2 clowns you mean Bob, Burge and Ragan? He's certainly done better this year but with apparently the largest budget in the league it's not too surprising.
No I meant Pope and Ragan, Sheffield have nearly always had the biggest budget but haven't always been top by Xmas. the change may have suited us and them but too many other things have changed for us to make it better not just the coach, we changed coach twice last season and it didn't make a scrap of difference

Sheffield are top because they have played more games against the Hulls Edinburghs Fifes Dundees of the league and less games against the top teams. They sit in a false position and still have to go to Belfast 3 times, Cardiff 3 times, Nottingham twice.

Are, so promoting growth avenues and being critical of that lack of forsite is seen as being negative to Cardiff and to Ice Hockey in the UK.

Then there is no future.

Let's hope Biz does go into Europe, along with other talent. Imagine being one of several thousand fans unable to get tickets. Maybe that is a good thing, keep the atmosphere, keep thee BBT.

chillee said:
Maybe that is a good thing, keep the atmosphere, keep thee BBT.
I thought the current rink design was a mistake?

I'm unsure if it includes hospitality, but 3100 is fine for me. When you think the average crowd at the NIC is just over 5000 in a City Centre location, I think it's there thereabouts a perfect size.

I'd like it to be 3500 but the fact we're finally getting a bigger, better facility is enough.

Anyway, who'd have 8000 seats and risk having an atmosphere like Sheffield?

3100 gives us room to grow while hopefully maintaining the atmosphere that makes the BBT a bit special.

Mooney#16

Chillee whilst I actual agree with the sentiment of your arguement about growing the sport through greater accessibility I caution that with evidence of the past that hockey in the UK has a sealing at the top flight as far as a potential attendances go. Top flight growth and improvement needs to start with grass roots funding and improvements of the national program not simply 1k extra seats in Cardiff. The league is competitive and retains interest. If cardiff or any other team walked the league all teams suffer.
The best thing about the new rink is the double pad allowing more kids to enter the sport at hopefully more affordable prices. I would happily sacrifice the 1k fans for those kids if down the road a new arena is built allowing for a bigger attendance corresponding to future natural growth.

This misguided belief that throwing money at the EIHL and filling it with imports will lead to some golden period is a false economy of boom and bust as was ISL.

Finny

chillee said:
Are, so promoting growth avenues and being critical of that lack of forsite is seen as being negative to Cardiff and to Ice Hockey in the UK.
Who are you criticising for the lack of foresight?

It's not just the rink, it's the whole project. The rink could have been part of a multi venue facility incorporating far more mainstream and popular functions with room for the Devils to grow.

Finny said:
chillee said:
Who are you criticising for the lack of foresight?
We fought against the lack of foresight by battling against the single pad Planet Ice facility 'skydome in a box' and managed to secure the twin pad facility with 3100 seats which was a massive improvement, it has been a long battle and at no time were we ever offered help or advice by Chillee.

We are pleased with the facility we have helped to secure for the city and if Chillee wants to battle for a bigger one he/she can carry on

Finny

chillee said:
It's not just the rink, it's the whole project. The rink could have been part of a multi venue facility incorporating far more mainstream and popular functions with room for the Devils to grow.
Such as?

Hey, if a 3100 seater limited function venue allows the Devils to compete yr on yr it's all good. If it cannot generate bums on seats great enough to cover costs it's gonna be a problem. As the link on the first page indicates the council's intentions include a 12,000 multi venue facility and Cardiff has support of people with my view point and position.

I suppose few writing here are chess players.

Sheincar

chillee said:
Where were you when this was first mooted? Sitting back waiting to criticise? Move on we're happy with what's proposed. We may outgrow it - we may not who knows. Just stop griping about it!

Sheincar said:
chillee said:
Where were you when this was first mooted? Sitting back waiting to criticise? Move on we're happy with what's proposed. We may outgrow it - we may not who knows. Just stop griping about it!
In another country, doing what l do for people. If griping is frowned upon on here, then I'm in good company.