Match Night Discussion

Re: Bring back Paul Sullivan

Had a few issues last night - loud music, repeated songs and a few times things couldn't be heard. However, as a previous poster commented on things will take time to bed in.

The music was apparently played by someone new but the choices were great, in my opinion. A bit loud but it can be sorted for the next game and a bit of time to increase the choices of tunes. same with mic technique. dj and mic guy working together for the first time and with next to no time to practice.

change will always stir a few people but lets give the new guys a chance to get used to what they are doing and the equipment they are using. if it goes downhill longer into the season, then I would have an issue. on the incorrect information comments, wouldn't details come from the penalty box?

if these are the only issues during the first game, both on an off the ice, pretty sure the season will be a great one. great game to start with. glad hockey is back and looking forward to Wednesday.

Gazza272

jodysstillagirlsname said:
By the look of the posts and Twitter this morning the club have taken another step backwards going forward

:lol:

Oh come on that's a bit dramatic isn't it? there are a few teething problems which will be sorted. It's hardly in the same realm as the poppy shirts fiasco or the like is it?

Just like the team will iron out some of their issues.

Sadly I think it's some fans and the club that need to iron out their issues before we can start properly enjoying the hockey at all levels and all aspects.

davew

When I first saw the title I thought it was to do with replacing the "pro" drummers.....they were awful, you don't need a drum kit to liven a hockey crowd.

Paul as a fan knows the appropriate moment to start various riffs or chants. I always said that that was where his forte laid.

As for mumbles.....welcome back.

Gazza272 said:
By the look of the posts and Twitter this morning the club have taken another step backwards going forward

:lol:

Oh come on that's a bit dramatic isn't it? there are a few teething problems which will be sorted. It's hardly in the same realm as the poppy shirts fiasco or the like is it?

Just like the team will iron out some of their issues.

Sadly I think it's some fans and the club that need to iron out their issues before we can start properly enjoying the hockey at all levels and all aspects.
Don't think that comment was dramatic. Didn't say the club had stepped off a cliff and was falling in to the abyss, just said a backward step, didn't say massive backwards leap or commercial suicide. The Positivity cult surrounding the club needs an injection of realism

Finny

elliswf said:
And like Mazza03 said, there is no need to say smart solutions Cardiff Devils every time
You do if they are the title sponsor.

Surprised so many people were surprised at this, we have been announced as BT Cardiff Devils, Coca Cola Cardiff Devils, Thompson Cardiff Devils etc. It's only in the last couple of seasons that we haven't had a title sponsor.

D

Deleted member 1337

Finny said:
elliswf said:
And like Mazza03 said, there is no need to say smart solutions Cardiff Devils every time

Surprised so many people were surprised at this, we have been announced as BT Cardiff Devils, Coca Cola Cardiff Devils, Thompson Cardiff Devils etc. It's only in the last couple of seasons that we haven't had a title sponsor.
They didn't say Acityabode Cardiff Devils EVERY single time last season, It was said Your Cardiff Devils, Not your Acityabode Cardiff Devils mostly wasn't it?

Kipper

The problem is the rink sound system. It is crap.I have had the misfortune to do the announcing at some Enl games and although I speak clearly spectators have often said they couldn't understand a word I said. This is a new team and deserve to be given time to get it right working with this arcane system or bringing ion new kit.There has to be a reason why Paul Sullivan and crew are no longer doing it and I am not privy to that. Therefore it is what it is and these guys deserve the opportunity to get it right in my opinion before they get burned at the stake.

Diafol

Finny said:
elliswf said:

Maybe it's part of the "title sponsor" package signed this season that the sponsor has to be announced as part of the team name ? Finny is correct here.

Trying to offer some constructive criticism... the bingo wasn't a great idea, but they tried something new, learn from it and move on. Same with the drum kit, having 2 lots of drummers might end up being a bit of a distraction, especially when the sound doesn't carry well to either end of the tent.

The only thing that would grind my gears as the season goes on would be that powerplay announcement - it's really distracting when you're trying to concentrate on the game. You wouldn't play music / read out the winning 50-50 number etc. until a stoppage in play - please do the same for other announcements !

BostonBart22

yes did miss paul last night, not sure if this mumbles got his name from mumbling, AWFUL. is he welsh, if he is he didnt show the passion paul always had, like someone said on here the entertainment team had all summer to get it right, what happened to the danish anthem, why did it take so long to get it going, surely a push of a button is quite easy to do, think the SMART SOLUTION would be is to bring paul back. :lol:

I did not understand a single word last night, got the odd number, Had no idea what penalties were called for, or who got the assist on Devils goals, could see who scored. Far to loud for me. hopefully will get better, if not, I will invest in a pair of ear defenders

KaneDevils

Have to disagree Jodystillagirlsname.

I pay to watch the hockey, not what happens at period breaks. Wether it's chuck a puck or drunken fire breathing Russian hookers, makes no odds to me! I go solely for the game.

I prefer to take a trip to the loo then read my program, after washing my danny's of course.

KaneDevils said:

I pay to watch the hockey, not what happens at period breaks. Wether it's chuck a puck or drunken fire breathing Russian hookers, makes no odds to me! I go solely for the game.

I prefer to take a trip to the loo then read my program, after washing my danny's of course.
Yes but you are a long term fan that understands the sport, the rules etc, new fans don t have that knowledge and its the whole thing that gets them hooked. I could quite happily go with no anthems, videos, replays, music or even announcements, just drop the puck and get on with it.

The club ( Ragan ) in the past have bigged up the match night experience and the whole experience gives the sponsors coverage, mentions etc these sponsors help to fund the team as much as Ragan, st holders, CDRA members, casuals. It also provides entertainment for sponsors guests who will also not understand the sport initially

Its the whole thing, the big picture that makes up Match Night as a spectacle and event

Kipper said:
You missed a good night last night though Mark. Get yourself back down there
Will be very selective, just away games and G testimonial, may take a couple of games in just to keep up with friends like you Kip, mind I could come to a few Bedwas games for that

KaneDevils

KaneDevils said:

Yes but you are a long term fan that understands the sport, the rules etc, new fans don t have that knowledge and its the whole thing that gets them hooked. I could quite happily go with no anthems, videos, replays, music or even announcements, just drop the puck and get on with it.

The club ( Ragan ) in the past have bigged up the match night experience and the whole experience gives the sponsors coverage, mentions etc these sponsors help to fund the team as much as Ragan, st holders, CDRA members, casuals. It also provides entertainment for sponsors guests who will also not understand the sport initially

Its the whole thing, the big picture that makes up Match Night as a spectacle and event
Good points and I get what your saying, but everyones different and we all like different. It was always the game itself that got me hooked, even before I knew rules and things.
Plus, some ask for the intro to be slayer eg but some people cringe at that kind of music. Your not always going to please everyone.
No matter what is done as part of the match night entertainment you'll always have some that love it and others who hate it.
BUT, we all love hockey!!
And a competitive/successful team, will in turn keep people coming back.
That to me is the priority. Anything else is a bonus.

They've had one night, no time to do any testing with it being the summer holidays and couldn't set up until the end of week. Give them a break. I don't understand why everyone thinks the announcer was mumbling, I could hear him clearly. Just needed the music/announcing to be turned down a little. I like the choice of music and they need time to get use to stoppage of play etc.
Things are changing, it's what we have to put up with it from time to time.

I'm pretty excited about all these extra cameras/live replays/highlights that will be up and running when everything comes together.

Foxy

LOL shows who the newbies are as he was actually the announcer before PS took over and im sure we had the reverse of this thread when that happened. :lol:

Give him a chance first match new equipment and i understood everything he said. Go figure