Match Night Discussion

Thread starter #1
Please could we have Mr Sullivan back?
We have always been comfortable with Paul, clear, precise, eloquent etc etc etc.
tonight was irritating at best, shambles at worst, and who thought of Bingo?
Please! come on, so tacky.

Re: Bring back Paul Sullivan

I think we need to give them a few weeks to settle in and see where we are then.
I used to like Mumbles when he used to do match nights and remember disliking Sully when he was first brought in.
Im not saying there weren't a lot of errors and admit it wasn't great off ice this evening in general but think its a bit too soon to be calling for change.

Give it a few weeks and a lot of people will have a different view i suspect.

Time will tell...

Thread starter #6

Ivydrive said:
I think we need to give them a few weeks to settle in and see where we are then.
I used to like Mumbles when he used to do match nights and remember disliking Sully when he was first brought in.
Im not saying there weren't a lot of errors and admit it wasn't great off ice this evening in general but think its a bit too soon to be calling for change.

Time will tell...
No sorry must disagree, I couldn't understand what he was saying, the sound level was wrong, the choice of music was wrong, no comedy tunes, the anthem was wrong, timing was out etc
I can understand that we should give him a chance, however the off ice team have had all summer to get it right!

Earnie

When you can not speak to the person next to you then the volume is too loud! Maximum volume is not neccessarily best acoustic effect and causes headaches.
Shouting too loud into a mike too close to your mouth causes distortions.

Excited shout of we are on a 'power play' not really required.

Music choice not my cup of tea but I'm a wrinkly and probably out of date.

Bingo? Well its a different idea but it went on a bit long.

However it was 'first night' at the DJ Corner. Lets give them a chance.
(PS was better)

drainage

Budgie said:
Ivydrive said:

Time will tell...
No sorry must disagree, I couldn't understand what he was saying, the sound level was wrong, the choice of music was wrong, no comedy tunes, the anthem was wrong, timing was out etc
I can understand that we should give him a chance, however the off ice team have had all summer to get it right!
Happy to give anyone a chance but why oh why did we feel the need to adopt the happy clappy we're on a power play screeching approach ?? Nothing wrong with getting the crowd going but we are fans that understand the game for the most part so please remember that.

And small tip but accuracy is fairly key ! I assume the official recorders are same so no idea why so many duff calls last night and equally why none corrected ! Giving a 5 min call to a player you can clearly see on ice surely that was spotted !

Oh and turn down the incessant whirring noise from the speakers my ears are bleeding!

Skippy

If you have a look back through the forum you'll find a thread called something like " Bring back Mumbles" from the last time there was a change of announcer.

Change happens and things take time to bed in and work the way everyone wants / likes.

ASHIPP

Paul is a Devils' fan - he understands the game, has fantastic rapport with the fans and is a consumate professional. He gets the fans with a great choice of music....and appropriate warmup tunes for the team.
:cool:
Apart from umpteen pim, player name and number errors last night what was booming down the mic ' ......and the Devils are on the powerplay' all about? Paul just would'nt do that.
:oops:

mazza03

If I hear Smart solutions C...................Every time an announcement is made I am likely to lamp someone, one or twice at the beginning of every period is enough, Bring back PS please he knew what he was doing.

Totally agree, there were loads of complaints from fans last night about the fact that you couldn't hear what the announcer was saying. It was really impossible to make out any single words he was saying. Was this the sound system or the announcer?

The Devil Himself

D

Deleted member 1337

ASHIPP said:
Paul is a Devils' fan - he understands the game, has fantastic rapport with the fans and is a consumate professional. He gets the fans with a great choice of music....and appropriate warmup tunes for the team.
:cool:
Apart from umpteen pim, player name and number errors last night what was booming down the mic ' ......and the Devils are on the powerplay' all about? Paul just would'nt do that.
:oops:
Yeah, totally agree with everything said here

And like Mazza03 said, there is no need to say smart solutions Cardiff Devils every time

Not impressed with last nights efforts at all especially the excessive volume. Both my children had splitting headaches when we left the rink.

D

Deleted member 1337

Nitra said:
Not impressed with last nights efforts at all especially the excessive volume. Both my children had splitting headaches when we left the rink.
Good, it wasn't just me then that thought it was too loud.

KaneDevils

Why don't we all start watching tennis instead?

While were on the subject of change (already) which players should we gas?

Wasn't at the game admittedly, but give it/him a chance :!:
For everyone who hates bingo, dozens will like it and would of enjoyed it.
Try and have a laugh and watch the hockey!

ITS BACK you know!

As for the sound, hasn't it always been naff? You can never hear Franny's interviews. Could be something to do with the venue we play in?

Smart solutions are a sponsor so probably have to be mentioned constantly. Like the RAF sponsored penalty box, or whatever it was.
Annoying yes, but ....

Here's my 2 pence;

- If I took 5 years out of my job and came back to work I reckon it would take me a while to get back up to the standard I was.

- The volume issue is down to mic technique and can be solved in seconds. When you raise your volume, move further from the mic. No big deal.

- For me the music was far more appropriate for hockey, especially the brand we're playing this year. Everyone will have their own opinion on what music they like to listen to. IMO the club should just go with how they want to brand the product. If last night's example is it, I'm happy! :D

- The drumming is a great idea. Just needs refining.

- If we have to hear Smart Solutions every time to bring in more money or whatever the arrangement is...it's probably not going to ruin my entire evening. :lol:

- Nice reference Skippy. This was the most predictable thread on here today and will no doubt be replicated the next time there's a change :lol:

Ultimately, I'd be surprised if any of the points raised in this thread prevented fans attending a game. I've no doubt, like the team itself, things will Improve throughout the season.

I had a great time last night! Hockey was awesome, couldn't get to sleep from the buzz! How it used to be :D

KaneDevils said:
Why don't we all start watching tennis instead?

While were on the subject of change (already) which players should we gas?

Wasn't at the game admittedly, but give it/him a chance :!:
For everyone who hates bingo, dozens will like it and would of enjoyed it.
Try and have a laugh and watch the hockey!

ITS BACK you know!

As for the sound, hasn't it always been naff? You can never hear Franny's interviews. Could be something to do with the venue we play in?

Smart solutions are a sponsor so probably have to be mentioned constantly. Like the RAF sponsored penalty box, or whatever it was.
Annoying yes, but ....
I wasn't at the game either and believe in people being given a chance to improve, I also believe if it ain't broke don't fix it. As for the sound I have to be honest you picked the worst example, it was only Franny's interviews I had trouble understanding

However the off ice product is part of the ticket price and should therefore not be diluted, if it was a 'friendly' price and the product was being trialled fair enough but tickets were full price and the customers deserve a polished product

Hockey has taken the lead in UK sport for providing the off ice product and also doing it well. The Devils have been a large part of setting this standard within the league. In Ragan's own words 'we have the best off ice product in the league ' and it was true, the other clubs envied it and tried to replicate it Rugby and football have followed that lead to improve their product, the club now have to compete with Premiership football in the city on top of the Rugby culture that exists in Wales and those sports are now doing it better.

For those that come back and say they would rather see the money spent on the ice, I agree but we were already at a good and acceptable level and could have at least maintained that without massive investment.

The off ice product is what brings newbies back until they have seen a few good games, for the regular fan it makes no odds. If a newbie is unlucky enough to see a couple of dire boring games ( they do happen ) in a row they may never return, especially if the presentation is poor.

We need to build up the fan base in the run up to the new arena by attracting people to the sport

By the look of the posts and Twitter this morning the club have taken another step backwards going forward

Soundwave1 said:
Here's my 2 pence;

- If I took 5 years out of my job and came back to work I reckon it would take me a while to get back up to the standard I was.

- The volume issue is down to mic technique and can be solved in seconds. When you raise your volume, move further from the mic. No big deal.

- For me the music was far more appropriate for hockey, especially the brand we're playing this year. Everyone will have their own opinion on what music they like to listen to. IMO the club should just go with how they want to brand the product. If last night's example is it, I'm happy! :D

- The drumming is a great idea. Just needs refining.

- If we have to hear Smart Solutions every time to bring in more money or whatever the arrangement is...it's probably not going to ruin my entire evening. :lol:

- Nice reference Skippy. This was the most predictable thread on here today and will no doubt be replicated the next time there's a change :lol:

Ultimately, I'd be surprised if any of the points raised in this thread prevented fans attending a game. I've no doubt, like the team itself, things will Improve throughout the season.

I had a great time last night! Hockey was awesome, couldn't get to sleep from the buzz! How it used to be :D
Well said that man.

Sheincar

Well the announcer is Microphone Mumbles so I guess he lived up/down? to his name. If I remember correctly he was a p/t actor so should presumably have learned microphone technique.

Smart Solutions is yet another of Ragan's companies so is its constant announcement really likely to bring in more money?