Latest rink update

PenarthFollower said:
I went to the watch the game in the new area this evening and the good is very very good but the bad is very very bad.

The score board is absolutely superb it is very easy to read and I was pleased to see the shots on goal displayed as these are rarely, if ever, announced by the Devils. The score board is dual purpose and can also display video very clearly. The white led rink lighting is superb and gives much improved clarity compared to the BBT. We weren't allowed to see bar or cafe areas so I cannot comment on these.

There is some reflections on the plexiglass but the rink lighting is so good this was not a problem in the slightest. There is a slight shadow below the scoreboards but it is not a problem for spectators.

The PA system is as bad as it can possibly be. I don't see how it could have been any worse. There are only a few loudspeakers above the centre of the ice with considerable reverberation in the arena. In addition the there was heavy bass and little, if any, treble resulting in virtually unintelligible announcements. Clear announcements are necessary to properly follow the game and this was impossible. I will find it impossible to enjoy the games and stop attending Devils games if the PA system is not fixed. If the PA is part of any evacuation plan, well it cannot be, it is that bad.

After comments about mobile coverage I made a careful check of EE coverage. EE's masts are near the centre of Penarth and along Penarth Road so the arena is on the fringes of both. I found almost coverage almost non existent and in and out even in a "good" spot. I doubt there is reliable EE coverage anywhere in the arena.
If you don't like it don't come back, there is bound to be another Devils fan out there who will gladly take your seat..

I have stood at the plexiglass for 9 years and apart from 1 occasion when a speaker behind me worked at a recent devils match, I have probably heard about 20% of announcement at the BBT. Any improvement on the mumbling I have had to endure will be welcome :lol:
As for mobile phone coverage(can of worms here) WHO CARES.
Don't do twatter or face book.
I go to WATCH HOCKEY. Rant over, thank you SORAC, IAW, owners and whole of devils organisation :RAWK . bring it on.

Diafol

At the Storm game last night I struggled to make out some announcements so it's not an isolated problem.
I've also attended ENL games at the BBT a few years ago where the PA wasn't up to its usual standards.

As I remember it (haven't been for a while) those games are run by volunteers who might not be as adept at operating the equipment as the people who do the Devils match nights. Therefore all should be well at Devils games once the people concerned are familiar with the new setup.

Can't make it tonight but I can't wait for the Blaze game in IAW :)

mazza03

Kipper said:
Can't believe the criticism. As has been said,the arena is not officially open it is pre-launch. The games are specifically to try out equipment and iron out any issues that arise before the facility is fully open and up and running to the public. This was made crystal clear on the advertising for the game.

Some Devils fans make me sick. They look for the slightest thing to criticise but contribute jackshit constructively.
Well said Kipper I sometimes despair of some of the fans and simply close down and leave the forum.

As far as phone coverage is concerned it's always fairly awful in that neck of the wood, my daughter lives in Llandough and I collect the twins from school in Penarth and EE is a nightmare in both place.

Milky

Went to the game tonight. Here's my honest thoughts based upon the game experience as it was tonight (I've already posted how great the venue is in general loads of times :) );

Pros

1) Brilliant views. The sight lines are excellent and the rink is really, really bright so you can see everything clearly. Not that the BBT is any comparison but thinking of Coventrys rink, IAW is BRIGHT!!!

2) Huge pad!!!! we'll have such a better chance of converting penalties on here. The blue line seems miles from the goal line!!!

3) Foot space in front (before the next rows seats) seems generous and the height above the row below means unless you are unlucky to be short and sit behind a giant, your view will not be impeded.

I found the seats themselves to be comfy, however (and there's no polite way of putting this), they are of a bucket type shape and if some of our larger fans are sat in a row together, they may find it a bit of a squeeze.

Cons

1) The PA system was truly awful at the start. I'm not sure if it was the guys voice as well as the settings but I couldn't for the life of me work out what he was saying. EG, a penalty call was made against one of the Fire players and me and the people sat around me were amazed it was for boarding, then we finally realised it was for holding. Couldn't tell the difference at all. However, by the third it was a little bit clearer. I'm hoping that's just a settings issue and they can work on it.

Having said that, the only speakers are those above the scoreboards in the middle and whilst they give off a great sound for music it's just a bit weird as you can tell it all comes from the middle of the rink as opposed to surrounding you from all angles. Feels like they need some speakers around the perimeter.

2) I'm guessing it's just the digital skin they had for the scoreboards display but they look very pixelated. Replays will look very strange if thats not the case though.

The centre ice scoreboard seems to basically be 4 huge independent screens. Definitely not going to miss anything there :lol:

3) The benches seemed a problem. They could squeeze 8/9 padded up players plus a non dressed player along the front with the rest behind and the 6 on the ice. There are two doors in and out but definitely no room for vaulting over the sides. The line changes seemed a comedy at times and I couldn't tell if that was because of the Fire themselves or the bench layout.

It's going to be great there and I can't wait for us to move in.

Devil94

As a fan, I thought it was very very good. Sight lines are great, very bright, toilets good, big scoreboard.
The problem I see is with the benches, as many thought would be the case. Seeing the Fire squeeze their players in there was comical, room for 7 at the front, others can't see what's going on. Will take some getting used to.

august04

pjj365 said:
The bench does look cramped but I am sure we will get used to it

It might be deliberate to give Simmsy his next excuse
It's a stunning arena but I'm still mystified that the bench design was put forward. In time, I hope it can be addressed but looking at that area last week, it won't be easy.

osh

Nice arena, looking forward to the game against Blaze.
Those player benches !!!! Whoever allowed that design to go ahead needs a serious talking to and needs to be addressed before next season, what a joke.

Ocko

Agree. Benches have to be addressed, I don't see how there can be any argument against it, professional teams shouldn't have issues like this.

The minor things I'm not too bothered about and they can be ironed out. But those benches; oh dear.

Kal

In the picture I saw the benches didn't seem completely terrible. We'll have to run drills in practice to learn to rotate quickly on the bench :lol:

I don't think it helped with Fire have so many players, and the game I saw the other team had very little players on theirs.

I think the only way we will really find out if its a problem is on the official opening night :)

osh said:
Those player benches !!!! Whoever allowed that design to go ahead needs a serious talking to and needs to be addressed before next season, what a joke.
thats if it will be ready for blaze game ;) tickets not on sale yet for blaze or belfast, perhaps the venue still undecided.

osh

BostonBart22 said:
osh said:
thats if it will be ready for blaze game ;) tickets not on sale yet for blaze or belfast, perhaps the venue still undecided.
Whaaaat ?? I hope you don't mean there could be a - say it quietly - delay to the proposed opening date.
Reminds me of Fawlty Towers & John Cleese with the German guests " don't mention the war...I just did, but I think I got away with it !!"
Likewise, I once mentioned the word delay, but I think I got away with it :lol: ;)

Milky

osh said:
BostonBart22 said:
osh said:
Whaaaat ?? I hope you don't mean there could be a - say it quietly - delay to the proposed opening date.
Reminds me of Fawlty Towers & John Cleese with the German guests " don't mention the war...I just did, but I think I got away with it !!"
Likewise, I once mentioned the word delay, but I think I got away with it :lol: ;)
Possibly an element of truth in that. Seems like a fair bit to do :shock:

august04

So frustrating. They probably need to sell another flat to get the money to finish it off. Let's forget it for this season and win the league in the BBT. So that's 3 games potentially in IAW - Belfast x 2 and Nottingham, both of which play regularly on big ice. For God's sake let's stay in the tent and maximise our chances of winning the league.

I agree - there doesn't seem much point in moving into IAW at all this season.

At the most there will be 3 regular games plus the playoff leg - but it could be even less as they are still unsure as to when the first game will be played in IAW.