Latest rink update

osh

Finny said:
osh said:
Nice arena, looking forward to the game against Blaze.
Those player benches !!!! Whoever allowed that design to go ahead needs a serious talking to and needs to be addressed before next season, what a joke.
Wasn't it Ragan/Pope who agreed it was ok?
You miss the point once again Finny, it may well have been either of them, however, they are long gone and others with more sense could and should have seen the flaw in this part of the rink. I cannot understand how or who believed such a layout would not receive deserved criticism.

august04

Nott Simpson said:
Licence was granted last week and IAW now appears on register. So IAW has its alcohol licence and sports venue licence.

Delay undoubtedly down to something else
I hope the club tell us what the continued delay is down to, instead of the 'it'll be worth the wait" platitudes that we've had today. IAW held games there over the weekend, they have the sports venue license, there's still just under 2 weeks to go until the 27th, so what needs to be done still? Perhaps if we knew what issues remain, it might ease the frustration.

Maybe it would be worth Todd giving out something as an explanation to stem the conjecture and rumours on here and then we could look forward instead of trying to suss out what is going on. I was in the IAW over the weekend and there didn't seem to me to be much wrong so hopefully it's still only a couple of weeks off moving over

Kal

I think we've met with the IAW guys today wanting to get tickets on sale for the 27th and they haven't been able to offer any guarantees that it'll be ready so we've opted to play it safe and stay in the BBT.

icemaidenpheonix said:
Maybe it would be worth Todd giving out something as an explanation to stem the conjecture and rumours on here and then we could look forward instead of trying to suss out what is going on. I was in the IAW over the weekend and there didn't seem to me to be much wrong so hopefully it's still only a couple of weeks off moving over
Todd has nothing to do with the building of IAW. In the same way I wouldn't expect Chris Hartrey to comment on how Devils game preparation is going, Todd can hardly speak about fitting out an Arena that isn't his.

On the day of selecting season tickets it was clear to me that it was way off finished. It needs to be finished before it open to the public. We have waited long enough, let's get it right.

bluedevil said:
icemaidenpheonix said:
Todd has nothing to do with the building of IAW. In the same way I wouldn't expect Chris Hartrey to comment on how Devils game preparation is going, Todd can hardly speak about fitting out an Arena that isn't his.
OK fair point

Finny

osh said:
Finny said:
osh said:
Nice arena, looking forward to the game against Blaze.
Those player benches !!!! Whoever allowed that design to go ahead needs a serious talking to and needs to be addressed before next season, what a joke.
Wasn't it Ragan/Pope who agreed it was ok?
You miss the point once again Finny, it may well have been either of them, however, they are long gone and others with more sense could and should have seen the flaw in this part of the rink. I cannot understand how or who believed such a layout would not receive deserved criticism.
Obviously you are more familiar with big building projects than me, but is it really that easy to change plans once they have been confirmed and work started? And it would have meant quite a big change too.
I'm guessing to do so would have meant further expense by Greenbank having passed it on to Kier, which would hardly have been their fault. If Ragan/Pope had told them the bench was big enough and spectator capacity was key, I can see why they went ahead with it.

pjj365

bluedevil said:
icemaidenpheonix said:
This implies that Todd has not been told the reason for the delay which I find difficult to believe

He is the channel of communication to the fans so a simple statement along the lines of "The developers have advised the IAW will not be ready because ................ " would suffice

This is not to blame Todd for any of this as it is, hopefully, accepted by all that it is beyond his control

not to sure about this but i was told their was a delay before and during the game due to nets coming off moorings a lot,,blaze keeper stewart would love that as he pushes the net off all the time, ;)

osh

Finny said:
Obviously you are more familiar with big building projects than me, but is it really that easy to change plans once they have been confirmed and work started? And it would have meant quite a big change too.
I'm guessing to do so would have meant further expense by Greenbank having passed it on to Kier, which would hardly have been their fault. If Ragan/Pope had told them the bench was big enough and spectator capacity was key, I can see why they went ahead with it.
Fair comment Finny, as for further expense for Greenbank, don't think so, it is something that should have been discussed and implemented by an architect before a blow was struck on site ( not pointing the finger at either Greenbank or Kier) Firstly, given the time from design to completion ( or almost completion ) it really would have been easy to make such a change to the player bench area, and certainly would not have increased costs in my opinion. As for Ragan/ Pope telling them the bench was big enough ? Who knows what they said or how much they were actually involved in the design or were even consulted about it. I wonder if anyone in the current Devils organisation noticed this flaw early on, perhaps commented and was ignored ? Who knows eh ? The point is, R and P are long gone and the present set up will need to be changed, I would think this would be done quite easily during the off season ( at a cost however ) Looking at it realistically, spectator capacity should not be affected at all. The only issue is, by lengthening both bench areas you wil of course take up perhaps 8 seats either side of each bench ( those who have chosen to sit there would be mighty unhappy. However, they could then be located in seats that would be formed in the area behind the players bench which would be a simple job. Not an ideal situation at this stage, but something that can be rectified and needs to be done to ensure first and foremost that players can get on and off the ice quickly enough during line changes. It will be difficult with the present set up and frustrating to all concerned ( coaches & players )

august04

pjj365 said:
bluedevil said:
icemaidenpheonix said:
This implies that Todd has not been told the reason for the delay which I find difficult to believe

He is the channel of communication to the fans so a simple statement along the lines of "The developers have advised the IAW will not be ready because ................ " would suffice

This is not to blame Todd for any of this as it is, hopefully, accepted by all that it is beyond his control
Agreed. The statement put out yesterday was just not good enough and served only to increase frustration.

Ocko

Agree with those points Osh. I've probably made it quite obvious but this major flaw has really bugged me. When opposition fans come away from the rink I want them to be jealous and think what a great facility it is. The benches undermine that and stop it being a great venue for hockey in this country. There are a number of flaws in design that are impossible to put right now (low ceiling, small changing rooms, tiny shared entrance), hopefully Greenbank can put this one issue right.

It appears you will lose access to the lower walkway from two sets of steps, at least while while the game is in play anyway. Its been mentioned it will be a fire safety issue but I don't understand that as 4 hockey arenas in this country only have access from above.

BostonBart22 said:
not to sure about this but i was told their was a delay before and during the game due to nets coming off moorings a lot,,blaze keeper stewart would love that as he pushes the net off all the time, ;)
That problem with the net was only on Saturday and was resolved for Sunday.