Latest rink update

I was just thinking, everyone is going to want to take pictures of the first game in the arena but will the IAW have a different policy on photos and cameras etc?

Devil_Abroad

I guess a club has to weigh the Commercial gain of game photos against Commercial gain through exposure on social media?

If they believe they have the fan base to fill the arena week in week out and don't want fans sharing photographs of games and players giving free exposure then they could possibly see an opportunity for further financial gain by owning the rights to Player and Game photographs

I would probably have a legal obligation on the tickets to make it clear that no fan could gain themselves from selling photographs they happen to take - if this is legally possible?

I love taking game pics to share. If I ever thought they were good enough to sell then I would probably approach the owners to seek their permission

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I thought it'd be unlikely but I have memories of going to the NIC where they search your bags. I wouldn't wanna stash my DSLR in my backpack only to be denied entry.

Unlikely given the nature of the Devils and their fan-base but I thought I'd raise the thought.

Devil_Abroad

We have had our bags searched at the NIC for POFW but not for Panthers' games

The EIHL wouldn't allow my wife to bring in healthy food snacks! They preferred that she buy those 'awful' fast food rubbish instead like that's going to happen [emoji848] Now me on the other hand [emoji23]

The Maple leafs allow DSLRs with prime lenses with small focal lengths. They wouldn't allow a telephoto lens so they 'booked' my camera in their office.

Again, a few phones these days have amazing Carl Zeiss quality lenses but I'm assuming they don't force fans to book those into their office?

Devil_Abroad said:
I would probably have a legal obligation on the tickets to make it clear that no fan could gain themselves from selling photographs they happen to take - if this is legally possible?

I love taking game pics to share. If I ever thought they were good enough to sell then I would probably approach the owners to seek their permission
It would be illegal to gain any profit from photo sales without a model release. So unless you have permission from said player (and probably team) selling is not allowed.

The club seem pretty relaxed about taking photo's at the moment so I hope it continues. You always see a lot of people with DSLR camera's at the games and I've seen the club use and RT people's pictures on their twitter/facebook accounts.

As long as you're not trying to sell them I don't see the problem.

Devil_Abroad

I think it's great that many take pics - after all the club could always approach the person and request to use them - I never copyright mine

And yes, it's a great way to advertise the club through social media and gain new supporters

Devil_Abroad said:
I think it's great that many take pics - after all the club could always approach the person and request to use them - I never copyright mine
You don't have to copyright your image it is done automatically unless you have an agreement to hand it over. The ticket terms and conditions could include this for example but not a notice placed on entry to the rink.

I went to the watch the game in the new area this evening and the good is very very good but the bad is very very bad.

The score board is absolutely superb it is very easy to read and I was pleased to see the shots on goal displayed as these are rarely, if ever, announced by the Devils. The score board is dual purpose and can also display video very clearly. The white led rink lighting is superb and gives much improved clarity compared to the BBT. We weren't allowed to see bar or cafe areas so I cannot comment on these.

There is some reflections on the plexiglass but the rink lighting is so good this was not a problem in the slightest. There is a slight shadow below the scoreboards but it is not a problem for spectators.

The PA system is as bad as it can possibly be. I don't see how it could have been any worse. There are only a few loudspeakers above the centre of the ice with considerable reverberation in the arena. In addition the there was heavy bass and little, if any, treble resulting in virtually unintelligible announcements. Clear announcements are necessary to properly follow the game and this was impossible. I will find it impossible to enjoy the games and stop attending Devils games if the PA system is not fixed. If the PA is part of any evacuation plan, well it cannot be, it is that bad.

After comments about mobile coverage I made a careful check of EE coverage. EE's masts are near the centre of Penarth and along Penarth Road so the arena is on the fringes of both. I found almost coverage almost non existent and in and out even in a "good" spot. I doubt there is reliable EE coverage anywhere in the arena.

I watched the 1st period last night. I thought the PA was fantastic to be honest. Sat at the back of block 7. It was crystal clear. Not sure if was worse elsewhere??
Great facility for fans as has been mentioned. Plenty of room and very spacious. Scoreboard is good.

The major downside are the player benches. Looked very crowded on the Cardiff Bench. Hard for last-second line changes if players are on the back row.

Earnie

I thought the PA system was good considering the Arena had only three or four hundred persons in it. The speakers are all above the central score board.
As for the bench , it was a bit crowded - but Fire did have a squad of 24 players!!

wildthing74

I'm pretty sure initial problems will be rectified over the next few weeks.Give them a break they are still getting it ready.This time last weekend there was no clock,speakers or even ice I think it's fair to judge once the rink is fully functional.

Wannabe2

Thread starter #1,736
PenarthFollower said:
I went to the watch the game in the new area this evening and the good is very very good but the bad is very very bad.

The score board is absolutely superb it is very easy to read and I was pleased to see the shots on goal displayed as these are rarely, if ever, announced by the Devils. The score board is dual purpose and can also display video very clearly. The white led rink lighting is superb and gives much improved clarity compared to the BBT. We weren't allowed to see bar or cafe areas so I cannot comment on these.

There is some reflections on the plexiglass but the rink lighting is so good this was not a problem in the slightest. There is a slight shadow below the scoreboards but it is not a problem for spectators.

The PA system is as bad as it can possibly be. I don't see how it could have been any worse. There are only a few loudspeakers above the centre of the ice with considerable reverberation in the arena. In addition the there was heavy bass and little, if any, treble resulting in virtually unintelligible announcements. Clear announcements are necessary to properly follow the game and this was impossible. I will find it impossible to enjoy the games and stop attending Devils games if the PA system is not fixed. If the PA is part of any evacuation plan, well it cannot be, it is that bad.

After comments about mobile coverage I made a careful check of EE coverage. EE's masts are near the centre of Penarth and along Penarth Road so the arena is on the fringes of both. I found almost coverage almost non existent and in and out even in a "good" spot. I doubt there is reliable EE coverage anywhere in the arena.
Well after waiting and fighting for 10 yrs to get this beautiful facility, if our only problems are a PA system that will obviously get fixed, and a phone signal then compared to lousy toilets with no paper, a ice surface that looks filthy and sucks, Sightlines that Stevie Wonder would consider poor, a roof that beggars belief that it's still there and not in Weston-Super -Mare, Dressing Rooms that compare to changing in a Skip, then all of I have to say is Bring it on. Myself I am one HAPPY BUNNY..

Earnie

Earnie said:
I thought the PA system was good considering the Arena had only three or four hundred persons in it. The speakers are all above the central score board.
As for the bench , it was a bit crowded - but Fire did have a squad of 24 players!!

In addition,the PA system was not only good, but considerably better than Nottingham's muffled sound at the Playoffs. Can't understand anything at that Arena.

pjj365

The Cardiff Fire web page states the games are a "pre launch event"and that the arena is not "officially open" yet

We are going tonight and I am sure I could find fault if I look - but I won't look. I will take the "opening" in the spirit in which it is being offered and be proud of what has been achieved so far - 2 weeks before the official opening

Maybe we do need to feed into the bedding in process but that is all it is. Lets not be critical but constructive

Can't believe the criticism. As has been said,the arena is not officially open it is pre-launch. The games are specifically to try out equipment and iron out any issues that arise before the facility is fully open and up and running to the public. This was made crystal clear on the advertising for the game.

Some Devils fans make me sick. They look for the slightest thing to criticise but contribute jackshit constructively.

Ocko

Agree Kipper. There will always be teething problems and I don't think any criticism should really come out until next season. There are always issues and more than likely will be when the Devils play their first game there too. Remember the first game in the BBT against the Vipers, couldn't get bigger teething problems than that!

And the poster who is going to stop going to games because of the PA system; must've been tough not watching for the past 9 years. I mean the one in the BBT is gash, so obviously that has stopped you coming too right?