Latest rink update

jodysstillagirlsname said:
It is the build contracts that have been signed signed as The Development agreement covers the users of the rink and there are no 'contracts' in place for usage after completion
That's why I'm surprised and got confused by the build dates, I was reading 18 months ago that everything was sorted and the build was due to start in August 2013, especially with all the web sites of previous builders and developers showing the facilities etc etc.

Are we sure this drama/building will actually end/built. :lol:

Ocko said:
I would be amazed if we get trumped for other events Chillee. There is still the CIA after all, which will still be a better concert venue because of the shape. We are getting full bowl seating in the rink which isn't really suited to concerts. There isn't much else that would move us IMO.
If you read the corporate brochure it states for Ice Pad Sponsorship corporate exposure at all events such as pop concerts, boxing, masters football and figure skating ;:| etc etc.

The Public pad is open from 6am to 12pm 7 days a week, it would seem that the Main arena is for Ice Hockey and the above others and they estimate over 200,000 users a year to the Main arena, the whole site when up and open attracting 2,000,000 with Europe's largest snow play area.

Finny said:
What does that mean to us simpletons?
It means they are smashing in large Steel girders to strengthen the ground prior to forming a concrete base, it also helps the slab spread the load of the building evenly meaning less chance of concrete cracking

I'm sure Wales Online have missed the irony of posting that article today of all days.
'ice arena to be completed in Cardiff by 2015'

For us Devils fans, such a statement could very possibly be fooling us all!

Ocko said:
Gwynfor said:
Does anyone know about Rec Hockey??
Where will that take place?
In what respect? I'm guessing on both the ice pads.
As in does the 6AM-12PM 'Public Skating Times' for the secondary pad encompass ice time for the Demons, Titans, Eagles, Redhawks, Lightning, Ice hounds, Huskies and Comets? I was led to believe before that the main arena will be exclusively for the Devils so there's still two NIHL teams and all the juniors let alone the poor-old figure skaters.

I'm hopeful that having two pads would lead to better times for everyone (I've played Rec in the past before and some of the times are abominable). I don't want to come across as pessimistic here haha, I was just genuinely curious.

Ocko

Gwynfor said:
Ocko said:
Gwynfor said:
Does anyone know about Rec Hockey??
Where will that take place?
In what respect? I'm guessing on both the ice pads.
As in does the 6AM-12PM 'Public Skating Times' for the secondary pad encompass ice time for the Demons, Titans, Eagles, Redhawks, Lightning, Ice hounds, Huskies and Comets? I was led to believe before that the main arena will be exclusively for the Devils so there's still two NIHL teams and all the juniors let alone the poor-old figure skaters.

I'm hopeful that having two pads would lead to better times for everyone (I've played Rec in the past before and some of the times are abominable). I don't want to come across as pessimistic here haha, I was just genuinely curious.
I would hope that there is fair use of the arena for those teams, I myself have and still do occasionally play rec hockey in Cardiff and the times are ridiculous. But rather than running it like the Panthers do where the main pad is solely for their use and other major events I think it would be more like Ice Sheffield where the main pad is used for other hockey teams not just the Steeldogs. The rink is for ALL users not just the Devils, to their credit SORAC have always said and stood by that.

Chris

Administrator
The main pad at the NIC isn't solely for the Panthers, the rec teams/uni teams use it when there's nothing scheduled. I think the Lions might also be able to use it when it's free.

Ocko said:
I would hope that there is fair use of the arena for those teams, I myself have and still do occasionally play rec hockey in Cardiff and the times are ridiculous. But rather than running it like the Panthers do where the main pad is solely for their use and other major events I think it would be more like Ice Sheffield where the main pad is used for other hockey teams not just the Steeldogs. The rink is for ALL users not just the Devils, to their credit SORAC have always said and stood by that.
There will be a User group formed to oversee this type of thing, and the main arena will NOT soley be used for The Devils. The Devils have ice time for training sessions and to fulfil their EIHL fixtures. The new arena is not just all about the Devils but every user group, and as Ocko stated that has always been our viewpoint

The info coming out from IAW makes it clear that one pad is for public skaters and the main arena is for events, from the Devils, curling etc etc too anybody I guess who wants a 3,000 seater venue, it reads as if the ice can and will be covered for non ice events.

I have to say now that since the agreements are in place, more info being available and green lights a go go it looks a great addition to Cardiff, South Wales and the South West. The only issue I can see apart from the Devils current lack of support in numbers is the traffic in an area already prone to congestion on weekends. :?

Koop11

I share that concern. Overall this is a fantastic development for the region, expanding Cardiff’s reputation as a world class sporting city and also creating jobs and homes. Also, like many of us, this is wonderful news for the sport and club we love so much.

However, from an objective point of view, I have always had my doubts about how the already limited infrastructure in the area will cope as the ISV continues to develop. The link road to the Vale of Glamorgan already bottle necks at peak times and with more and more homes (cars too) being built that is only going to get worse. The development got past planning permission so one can assume that there are plans a foot to ease the congestion

Koop11 said:
However, from an objective point of view, I have always had my doubts about how the already limited infrastructure in the area will cope as the ISV continues to develop. The link road to the Vale of Glamorgan already bottle necks at peak times and with more and more homes (cars too) being built that is only going to get worse. The development got past planning permission so one can assume that there are plans a foot to ease the congestion
When the council announced 41,100 new homes to built in Cardiff area they dismissed plans to expand the road network.

The IAW are looking for sponsors that includes an arena sponsor, BT Sport has just sponsored the Arms Park and renamed it the BT Sport Arms Park.

Who is willing to bet the IAW may soon be renamed the BT Sport Ice Arena Wales, maybe they'll even put games on TV. :pickle