Latest rink update

osh

jodysstillagirlsname said:
Sorry OSH but as a developer would you really spend time and money on full designs and building calcs etc when you hadn't even won the tender or entered in to a contract ?

Big risk if you ask me

Rinkcorp spent on detailed plans and presentation for tenders and look where that ended meanwhile PI drew a box around the old skydome drawings and won a contract which they couldn't fulfill
Well actually yes. As a main developer thats exactly what you have to do when tendering for £200 miilion projects. Such design and estimate costs are all part of the individual's tender ( and therefore recoverable if successful, and non recoverable if you are not awarded the contract ) How else could they have arrived at the estimated cost of £200 million ( with the ice rink quoted at £15 million) They didn't just pluck that figure out of the sky. As for the dual ice pads, they simply buy already used designs from other completed rinks, its really not that difficult. The only original part of such a complex would be what covers and surrounds such a project, but it certainly shouldn't delay ground breaking and infrastructure services
by a full 12 months imo.

I don't often agree with osh, but the man speaks sense.
I would be very interested to know exactly what they will being doing for a whole year before they even start. Resources tied up on another project maybe? Who knows.
I just hope we have a damn good ice rink at the end of it, we've sure as hell waited long enough for it!

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

osh said:
jodysstillagirlsname said:
Sorry OSH but as a developer would you really spend time and money on full designs and building calcs etc when you hadn't even won the tender or entered in to a contract ?

Big risk if you ask me

Rinkcorp spent on detailed plans and presentation for tenders and look where that ended meanwhile PI drew a box around the old skydome drawings and won a contract which they couldn't fulfill
Well actually yes. As a main developer thats exactly what you have to do when tendering for £200 miilion projects. Such design and estimate costs are all part of the individual's tender ( and therefore recoverable if successful, and non recoverable if you are not awarded the contract ) How else could they have arrived at the estimated cost of £200 million ( with the ice rink quoted at £15 million) They didn't just pluck that figure out of the sky. As for the dual ice pads, they simply buy already used designs from other completed rinks, its really not that difficult. The only original part of such a complex would be what covers and surrounds such a project, but it certainly shouldn't delay ground breaking and infrastructure services
by a full 12 months imo.

Sorry OSH but anestimated cost is not detailed plan with all of the building calcs. I do agree that there is a delay which I would rather not have but as long as it happens I will be happy.

The Full contract will be signed prior to elections and then the detailed planning will go in. It may just be that Greenbank are allowing for delays in the processes, based on their previous experiences, and don't want to make false promises and we may see some activity earlier. We can hope

Finny

osh said:
Finny

PR announced during the interval on Wed 25th January that the rink would be completed next year, 2013. ( I suspect you were at that game and heard what we all heard him say)
Here are a couple of other quotes;-

Terry Phillips wrote on 26th January;
The official declaration will be made by Cardiff County Council today and the new rink will boast two ice pads and a minimum of 3,000 seats and will open for the start of 2013-14

South Wales Ech January 27th;
Cardiff Devils owner Paul Ragan said the news was “absolutely fabulous”.
A capacity crowd of 3,000 will be able to watch the Devils at the arena when they take up residence at their new home.
Priority will be given to preparing the ski slopes and the ice arena in time for most of the 2013-14 ice hockey season. Design work will begin immediately.

BBC News January 27th;
The new ice arena is expected to be completed in time to accommodate all or most of the 2013/2014 ice hockey season

South Wales Echo January 30th;
Jonathan Smith, director at Greenbank Partnerships, parent firm of appointed developer Helium Miracle 113, said:

“The council want the rink ready for the 2013/14 ice hockey season, so it will be the focus of the first stage of the development the business plan will be built around that.”
Even in those quotes though there seems to be a fair bit on uncertainty. The only comment we have from Greenbank themselves is the quote from Jonathan Smith, and he only says when the Council want it by - not when they think it will be ready.

And for all the good work the Echo does, accuracy has never been one of their strong points. One day they say it will be ready before the 2013-14 season, the next they say it will be ready during it.

osh said:
Lets face it, until Wannabe2 announced the news 2 days ago, most people were under the impression that the rink would be completed as staed in the quotes above. I honestly can't believe that you didn't see any of the above quotes Finny. However, ther very fact that we will get a new rink is great news. I simply wanted to know where the additional year has come from without it being announced officially, as yet, no one has answered that question officially.
Maybe I'm splitting hairs, but it's not a full year (at least not yet). For you, it now seems like there will be a 9 month delay, for me only 4 months.

This video from a month ago:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgRv5-UdxXA&list=UU8u4tQiwxiJjHxWGdJDP_ug&index=5&feature=plcp
Might explain a bit why it has been delayed. It seems the Devils and other users have been asking for the designs to be altered slightly, for example a bigger bar, a separate cafe, and I think this was the first time it was mentioned that the main pad would be 60x30. I would guess all these things would delay the start of the project?
If that is the reason for the delay - I'm more than happy for it. I'd rather everything be over-analysed and changed before works starts.

DevilDom

In terms of date the new rink would be ready, I too agree with Osh that it has been mentioned on numerous occassions that it would be ready for the start of the 2013-14 season. I had been under the impression for a while that next season would be the last in the BBT. Anyhow it is was it is and if it takes another year to get what looks like it will be a fantastic facility then so be it.

Ger-Devils

DevilDom said:
In terms of date the new rink would be ready, I too agree with Osh that it has been mentioned on numerous occassions that it would be ready for the start of the 2013-14 season. I had been under the impression for a while that next season would be the last in the BBT. Anyhow it is was it is and if it takes another year to get what looks like it will be a fantastic facility then so be it.
Wasn't the early opening date mentioned by the Echo and no one else or did I miss it? I'm sure Greenbank will do a full press release when plans start going ahead so don't panic just yet

Wannabe2

Thread starter #47
DevilDom said:
Sorry have to dis-agree here, dont know who mentioned we would be in the new gaff at the start of the 2013-14 season, it was always said that it would be Dec 2013, unless you are getting mixed up with the new phantom rink that planet ice were apparently going to throw up.

DevilDom

Wannabe2 said:
DevilDom said:
Sorry have to dis-agree here, dont know who mentioned we would be in the new gaff at the start of the 2013-14 season, it was always said that it would be Dec 2013, unless you are getting mixed up with the new phantom rink that planet ice were apparently going to throw up.
I'm pretty sure it is since the contract was taken from PI and the dates that Osh mentions are all after that. As I said i'm not massively bothered by it as i'd rather get the right rink and have to wait a bit longer then get something thrown up just to be ready for a certain time.

TheStub said:
SORAC just put up an interior mockup.

Now I'm excited.
Ok that looks cool :D If we have to have a walkway in front of the plexi, I'd much rather it be like that than it is in the Sky Dome. The best thing about this design is that it will retain the 'crowd are on top of you' feeling for the players :lol: :Banana

osh said:
Looks ok to me. Definately no standing against the plexi !
Just my opinion but I think no standing near the plexi will be better. Never been a fan of it and think that for us to move forward with a better looking professional home then all seater full bowl looks the mutts nutts :D

Only my opinion though, I know people have stood from day 1 but we have been crying out for state of the art new facility. Time to move forward.

TheStub

Diavlo rosso said:
osh said:
Just my opinion but I think no standing near the plexi will be better. Never been a fan of it and think that for us to move forward with a better looking professional home then all seater full bowl looks the mutts nutts :D

Only my opinion though, I know people have stood from day 1 but we have been crying out for state of the art new facility. Time to move forward.
I agree mate. If we want a top of the line arena, we can't complain when we get one.

Our history has seen us with standing, but seating to the ice looks more top draw than the raised platforms we would need IMHO - it'll also allow us more seating with the same height roof.

osh

Wannabe2 said:
osh said:
You dont sound too pleased mate.

Don't like the ceiling level, can't see a full height plexi working somehow
( not meant to be obviously ) and can't rave about something that shows such poor detail tbh mate. I like the idea of no standing at the plexi, it gives everyone a fair chance of seeing as much of the ice as possible.

osh said:
Wannabe2 said:
osh said:
You dont sound too pleased mate.

Don't like the ceiling level, can't see a full height plexi working somehow
( not meant to be obviously ) and can't rave about something that shows such poor detail tbh mate. I like the idea of no standing at the plexi, it gives everyone a fair chance of seeing as much of the ice as possible.

I'd assume this in not a final plan and is probably just a rough sketch?

I would hate to think that it is a final design as some of the banners look like they are about 2 feet off the ice :lol:

I trust SORAC and other members will have put their thoughts forward and the final design will work!!

Earnie

I have faith in SORAC and the end result will be great.

I just hope people respect the place and take ALL their rubbish home with them and not dump it on the deck like they do now.