Latest rink update

Gazza272

jodysstillagirlsname said:
Apologies if this caused offence I am in my own account now, although I can understand the scepticism, without the hope for a positive outcome we wouldn't have carried on and we would all be watching the skydome 2 single pad 2000 seat rink being constructed.

Oh it definitely didnt cause Offence, I just think that an Official body or anyone representing that official body should not dismiss the concerns of any Rink user at this time.

Of course on the flip side of that it is excellent to see such enthusiasm from people present at the meeting the other day which make no bones about it, must be seen as nothing short of encouraging

I hope we continue to hear such good news, and keep up the good work.

Koop11

The one thing that does concern me is that the planning application is not being submitted until May which is when the local elections are. I can’t see a decision being made prior to the outcome of the elections which does potentially leave the whole proposal in jeopardy should a new party be against the project for whatever reason.

The article from Construction Enquirer states in 1 paragraph construction starts in March 2013 yet at the bottom says work to start before Christmas after the May planning application?

Hmmmm.... Do Sorac have any news on Koop11's thoughts? Has this been raised with councillors ? Do we have any guarantees from CCC that the plans will be followed through during / after local elections should the seat change?

Diavlo rosso said:
The article from Construction Enquirer states in 1 paragraph construction starts in March 2013 yet at the bottom says work to start before Christmas after the May planning application?

Hmmmm.... Do Sorac have any news on Koop11's thoughts? Has this been raised with councillors ? Do we have any guarantees from CCC that the plans will be followed through during / after local elections should the seat change?

Don't worry thick moment.. I see the construction of the arena is March with other parts before Christmas.. :DWD

osh

All the good news relating to the new arena overshadows the fact that it is hoped to be completed for the start of season 2014/15 and not 2013/14. Still can't quite get my head around as to why the rink will be further delayed by 12 months. We were originally informed that the work would be starting this month. I'm sure PR stated recently that work would start very soon i.e March/April, yet we now learn that the planning application won't be considered until after local council elections in May! Let's hope the BBT is still fit for purpose for the interim period. I will be as patient as everyone else, but can someone please explain the 1 year delay?

At this moment Greenbank are the preferred developer this will now have to be formalised in to a contract, this will hopefully be achieved prior to the Local Elections, the planning will be applied for and building calculations etc will be worked on. There will then be a period of setting the work up in to phases, this is not just the building of a rink everything else needs to be fitted in to construction schedule. Materials, special features and individual features need to be designed and ordered, all of this will be done prior to starting the actual construction. The rink will be a fourteen month build which isn't bad for the construction of the quality we are going to get,

If it was just a matter of putting a single pad skydome 2 up I am sure it would be quicker, but then we still would be in the middle of a construction site for a long time. We are still going to be in the 1st phase of the ISV development and we will be getting a'fit for purpose' facility that will allow development of ice sports and not a continuation of ice sports.

The BBT has allowed us continuation not development and now we will be getting a proper facility, the new one may be a little longer waiting but you can't just throw these things together

Finny

Even before this announcement, the anticipated completion date was Dec 2013/Jan 2014. Now it's May 2014 so it's not that much different.

I was a bit worried that moving rink mid-season might be complicated anyway. Do you build a team around a small rink for the first half of the season, or a big pad for the second half?

I can live with the BBT for another two full seasons if it means nothing is rushed and we get the eventual rink we want. After all we've been through, I certainly wouldn't want them to rush it.

if i screem and shout, maybe we may get it for next season, :lol: we have waited some 12 years for this, o k, another 2 seasons in a tent and if all goes well, we wont know wot to do with our selves. the only problum may come with next seasons team. p r said he was going to put a bigger budget team together next season to build a head of steam before goin to the new rink the following season, well there are now 2 seasons before we jump ship, so how may this affect (a) the budget and (b) gs team recrutment for next season, we can not afford another treading water season, it will affect attendances too much and leave us having to find possibly the best part of 2,000 extra fans to fill the new place.

TheStub

Re: Re: Latest rink update

redtilldead said:
if i screem and shout, maybe we may get it for next season, :lol: we have waited some 12 years for this, o k, another 2 seasons in a tent and if all goes well, we wont know wot to do with our selves. the only problum may come with next seasons team. p r said he was going to put a bigger budget team together next season to build a head of steam before goin to the new rink the following season, well there are now 2 seasons before we jump ship, so how may this affect (a) the budget and (b) gs team recrutment for next season, we can not afford another treading water season, it will affect attendances too much and leave us having to find possibly the best part of 2,000 extra fans to fill the new place.
Ragan did say at the fan forum that they wanted the operating licence for the new rink. As part of that he wanted to show how successful the team could off the ice.

If he wants to build a strong business, in hockey that has to include a competitive team. Not a Giants buy the league sort of loss making wage bill, but a team that will bring fans back game after game.

That means well over 500, and exciting to watch hockey.

osh

jodysstillagirlsname said:
At this moment Greenbank are the preferred developer this will now have to be formalised in to a contract, this will hopefully be achieved prior to the Local Elections, the planning will be applied for and building calculations etc will be worked on. There will then be a period of setting the work up in to phases, this is not just the building of a rink everything else needs to be fitted in to construction schedule. Materials, special features and individual features need to be designed and ordered, all of this will be done prior to starting the actual construction. The rink will be a fourteen month build which isn't bad for the construction of the quality we are going to get,

If it was just a matter of putting a single pad skydome 2 up I am sure it would be quicker, but then we still would be in the middle of a construction site for a long time. We are still going to be in the 1st phase of the ISV development and we will be getting a'fit for purpose' facility that will allow development of ice sports and not a continuation of ice sports.

The BBT has allowed us continuation not development and now we will be getting a proper facility, the new one may be a little longer waiting but you can't just throw these things together

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with perhaps 90% of your post. As the preferred developer has been announced, they will, or should have, already have their proposals in place! Building calculations etc should already be part of their proposal. As for setting um the work, any decent developer/main contractor will already have had to submit a programme of works, that is why a completion date was already previously mentioned as being Autumn of 2013 ( very ambitious is has to be said, but I wasn't the one quoting that date)

Yes work will be carried out in phases ( to suit the programme) but as the main works will be the initial infrastructure/services/groundworks etc that has little to do with your comment about special features and individual features. There must be a plan in place, hence the latest fantastic annoucements, so I cannot understand why there is a full year delay on the original completion date, and no one has yet offered an explanation either.

I have worked on multi million £ projects in various worldwide locations (including ice arenas and much larger projects from inception to completion) and find your explanation totally flawed. Perhaps its time I offered my services to the 'preffered developer'.

Mooney#16

Financially it would be the most beneficial for Regan to hold the operating licence as the money can be suitably reinvested in hockey in Cardiff but I think Paul needs to open dialogue with the rink users to sell his vision of what he intends for the running of the facility. If people feel happy with what he intends they are likely to support his tender but if he intends to milk what lets be honest is a captive audience to bank role weak attendances for the Devils it really isn't going to be popular. What will be the point of a state of the art facility if no one can afford to use it. Portfolios of predicted costs would be much appreciated as soon as they are known.

Finny

osh said:
As for setting um the work, any decent developer/main contractor will already have had to submit a programme of works, that is why a completion date was already previously mentioned as being Autumn of 2013 ( very ambitious is has to be said, but I wasn't the one quoting that date).
Who did quote that date then? I haven't heard an Aug 2013 completion date mentioned since Pl lost the tender?

osh said:
Yes work will be carried out in phases ( to suit the programme) but as the main works will be the initial infrastructure/services/groundworks etc that has little to do with your comment about special features and individual features. There must be a plan in place, hence the latest fantastic annoucements, so I cannot understand why there is a full year delay on the original completion date, and no one has yet offered an explanation either.
But Greenbanks have never given an anticipated completion date until this week. Why would a completion date be announced by a developer before they had won a tender?

osh said:
I have worked on multi million £ projects in various worldwide locations (including ice arenas and much larger projects from inception to completion) and find your explanation totally flawed. Perhaps its time I offered my services to the 'preffered developer'.
Going off-topic now, but which ice arena's were these? Would be pretty cool if we could compare then and if certain bits are similar you could explain the process as it goes on?

osh

1.A start date of March this year has been mentioned by PR and others on many ocassions with a completeion date of Autumn 2013.

2.As the completion date had already been mentioned, most of us would have believed it would be true and the developer would have worked to that date.

3.As for some projects I've been involved with, here goes ;-

Ice rink in Doha, Qatar ( part of shopping mall complex)
Al Nasr Leisureland complex
Dubai Mall (inclusive of ice rink, aquarium/shopping and hotel complex)
Stadia design HV/M&E works for stadiums in Qatar including stadiums for future 2022 World Cup.

Whilst there has been far more finance involved in the above projects, and as I haven't seen any exact plans, I cannot give a definative time scale for start to finish on our rink, but I would consider a 14 month proposal as pretty accurate, hence, had ground breaking started this month as stated by others previously,we would have been more or less able to commence the 2013/14 season in our new home. Hence my question as to why we are now being told it will may be 2014/15 season before we commence ice hockey.

Why would I want to - or indeed be able to unless I was part of the construction team - explain what goes on during construction?

Finny

osh said:
1.A start date of March this year has been mentioned by PR and others on many ocassions with a completeion date of Autumn 2013.
Have you got a link to this?

I haven't heard such an early date since PI lost the tender. Earliest I had seen or heard was Dec 2013/Jan 2014, and even that I think was an estimate from the council.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-sout ... s-14142628

PI tender torn up

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-sout ... s-16759703

New tender process takes place and is awarded

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-sout ... s-16759703

Sorry OSH but as a developer would you really spend time and money on full designs and building calcs etc when you hadn't even won the tender or entered in to a contract ?

Big risk if you ask me

Rinkcorp spent on detailed plans and presentation for tenders and look where that ended meanwhile PI drew a box around the old skydome drawings and won a contract which they couldn't fulfill

osh

Finny

PR announced during the interval on Wed 25th January that the rink would be completed next year, 2013. ( I suspect you were at that game and heard what we all heard him say)
Here are a couple of other quotes;-

Terry Phillips wrote on 26th January;
The official declaration will be made by Cardiff County Council today and the new rink will boast two ice pads and a minimum of 3,000 seats and will open for the start of 2013-14

South Wales Ech January 27th;
Cardiff Devils owner Paul Ragan said the news was “absolutely fabulous”.
A capacity crowd of 3,000 will be able to watch the Devils at the arena when they take up residence at their new home.
Priority will be given to preparing the ski slopes and the ice arena in time for most of the 2013-14 ice hockey season. Design work will begin immediately.

BBC News January 27th;
The new ice arena is expected to be completed in time to accommodate all or most of the 2013/2014 ice hockey season

South Wales Echo January 30th;
Jonathan Smith, director at Greenbank Partnerships, parent firm of appointed developer Helium Miracle 113, said:

“The council want the rink ready for the 2013/14 ice hockey season, so it will be the focus of the first stage of the development the business plan will be built around that.”

Lets face it, until Wannabe2 announced the news 2 days ago, most people were under the impression that the rink would be completed as staed in the quotes above. I honestly can't believe that you didn't see any of the above quotes Finny. However, ther very fact that we will get a new rink is great news. I simply wanted to know where the additional year has come from without it being announced officially, as yet, no one has answered that question officially.