Last Signing

DevilDom

Seems most other teams can make signings. Just us that seems to have a problem. Seems G has both hands tied behind his back for a change rather than just the one.

ASHIPP

DevilDom said:
Seems most other teams can make signings. Just us that seems to have a problem. Seems G has both hands tied behind his back for a change rather than just the one.
Paul Gardner the Clan coach is a man with an impressive high level international resume and probably fantastic contacts. Also will have financial backing of Neil Black. Can only envy that situation...it certainly cant be compared to the Devils.

:evil:

The sad reality is that you aren't really going anywhere this season. You are going to finish mid-table, in all likelihood play Sheffield in the play-off quarter finals and probably lose or at most sneak through to be beaten by Belfast or Nottingham. Ragan must be thinking "do I really want to spend another few grand on a fairly hopeless case or save it for next year" and Adams thinking "signing one CHLer isn't going to make any great difference without our top Brit and top scorer ... keep the money in the pot and go again next year". At the end of the day, the club is a business. If you were able to sign someone who puts bums on seats, it might be worth it. But for your unexciting journeyman, you will essentially be paying out for not much in return?

Paul Sullivan

As opposed to Coventry whose finesse, deft and skilful offence and generally positive and encouraging style of play has seen them return to the glory days when their budget compared to the big boys.

Or perhaps not. Physician, heal thyself.

we are looking to the kids, who will most probs sit next to quiney on the end of the bench scratching there arses, while scarborough :?: ware is he, playing for the nihl devils last week. so is he available :?: we are crying out for bodys here, can he be used or not :?:

Ocko

Paul Sullivan said:
As opposed to Coventry whose finesse, deft and skilful offence and generally positive and encouraging style of play has seen them return to the glory days when their budget compared to the big boys.

Or perhaps not. Physician, heal thyself.
Maybe not but their fans have been fairly happy this year and left entertained. I would take Coventry's one place below us for the entertainment their team provide.

The facts speak for themselves, their crowds are up ours are down. We play like Edinburgh used to and have coasted through most games this year. We have match winners in who have at least kept the results ticking over to some extent but no spark plugs in the team. On top of that we have seen our best players injured because this team has failed to defend it's own players.

redtilldead said:
we are looking to the kids, who will most probs sit next to quiney on the end of the bench scratching there arses, while scarborough :?: ware is he, playing for the nihl devils last week. so is he available :?: we are crying out for bodys here, can he be used or not :?:
Thats the one thing that annoys me with G, he never seems to trust the younger players to step up. This year is Quiney, a few years ago it was Ben, he was just used as the person who sat the 2 minutes when Brad had a 2+10 penalty.

The players arent going to improve if they dont have any ice time.

Earnie

I sadly go along with the views of J.B.

As for G not playing the kids it is not quite so simple. He has a responsibility for their safety. The timing of their ice time must be weighed up. If the opposition run around like Belfast did on their last visit with a few loose canons then he can not take the risk.

ASHIPP

Dont think Devils have any choice but to call up talented youngsters from NIHL. Extra bodies are needed and fast. Great experience for them....my only worry is the step up in physicality in this league and their abilty to withstand hits from huge guys. Scarborough got a shock against Nottingham.

Also pondering why the club havent gone down the route of a European born player. So much time spent targeting North American players, the Devils could have picked a very good
Czech, Swede,Finnish or Latvian.

Gazza272

Devil_Bluebird said:
[q
Thats the one thing that annoys me with G, he never seems to trust the younger players to step up. This year is Quiney, a few years ago it was Ben, he was just used as the person who sat the 2 minutes when Brad had a 2+10 penalty.

Given the player Ben is turning into, I really cannot see why you are using him as a criticism of G's handling of British players?

Sliput

J.B said:
The sad reality is that you aren't really going anywhere this season. You are going to finish mid-table, in all likelihood play Sheffield in the play-off quarter finals and probably lose or at most sneak through to be beaten by Belfast or Nottingham. Ragan must be thinking "do I really want to spend another few grand on a fairly hopeless case or save it for next year" and Adams thinking "signing one CHLer isn't going to make any great difference without our top Brit and top scorer ... keep the money in the pot and go again next year". At the end of the day, the club is a business. If you were able to sign someone who puts bums on seats, it might be worth it. But for your unexciting journeyman, you will essentially be paying out for not much in return?
I totally agree with this. This season has gone now , with the loss of Mac and likely Phil we need to start addressing next season, getting players signatures for next year. As for the comments about Coventry (crowds) i do find them a liitle unfair, for starters they have a nice rink where you can see all of the ice, there is lots of nice easy parking, it is close to the centre etc...... the WNIR was much the same for the exact same reasons.

Gazza272 said:
Devil_Bluebird said:
[q

Given the player Ben is turning into, I really cannot see why you are using him as a criticism of G's handling of British players?
Sorry forgot we are not allowed to criticise Adams :lol:

Maybe the ice time he had at Basingstoke Bison improved him