Last Signing

rolf

Thread starter #1
I must have mis-heard last night when coach Francis said that we'd know today whether our last target signing was happening. Apparently judging by the silence the news must not be good. But I may have mis-heard as I said, because I'm sure we'd never miss the transfer deadline and play with a shortened bench for the most important part of the season would we?

Perhaps the target hasn't come off, meaning that G and Franny are looking to sign somebody else before the deadline. Or the target has agreed with the club (we could have meant the club) and they are waiting for the paperwork before announcing the signing. Or there has been a delay and the target can't decide, or be released from his club, until tomorrow.

rolf

Thread starter #5
I didn't check the small print of Franny's pre-match interview answer. I just took what I thought I had heard at face value.

voth26

didnt franny say something about the player we are after needs to be released from his current club, im sure franny said it was along those lines last night? but i couldnt hear properly as the sound as per usual was rubbish and i caught bits of his interview

I know his name's been mentioned on another thread and he is of a higher quality than we can afford, but Jeff Ulmer left his team in Finland today. We can dream. :p

Finny

rolf said:
I didn't check the small print of Franny's pre-match interview answer. I just took what I thought I had heard at face value.
If Franny said "we should hear" then it probably means the club.
If Franny said "you should hear" then it probably means us.

rolf

Thread starter #9
I know what. I'll discuss semantics with someone who wasn't there and by his own admission doesn't know what was said, but will still correct me.

Finny said:
If Franny said "we should hear" then it probably means the club.
If Franny said "you should hear" then it probably means us.
I would have thought "we" means the whole of the big happy Devils family doesn't it? All in it together and that

ASHIPP

Should imagine the delay has occurred because of paperwork....or the players existing club are not prepared to release him until they get a replacement sorted.

9Management agency tweeted this afternoon that a UK deal was done last night.....and a club would be making an announcement soon. Could be Devils could be anyone.

Jeff Ulmer? Dream on....beyond our finances.

Sheincar

rolf said:
I must have mis-heard last night when coach Francis said that we'd know today whether our last target signing was happening. Apparently judging by the silence the news must not be good. But I may have mis-heard as I said, because I'm sure we'd never miss the transfer deadline and play with a shortened bench for the most important part of the season would we?
I have no idea what Franny said as I can't understand a word over PA system BUT isn't transfer deadline 14 February because of the lockout?

DevilDom

Sheincar said:
rolf said:
I have no idea what Franny said as I can't understand a word over PA system BUT isn't transfer deadline 14 February because of the lockout?
In that case expect an announcement on the 15 February saying "we just missed out" on signing our target............. :twisted:

ASHIPP

DevilDom said:
Sheincar said:
rolf said:
In that case expect an announcement on the 15 February saying "we just missed out" on signing our target............. :twisted:
Lets just hope that if they cant get their first choice that they already have another player in their sights. Really hope there is substance to this story...rather than raising our hopes only to be let down at the last minute like last year. That would be cruel wouldnt it?

Blaze have shown how serious they arw about pushing for playoffs by adding a good playerto their roster. Whilst Devils can give the arena teams a run for their money, its clear they need extra support to get any points in these tough conference games. Finish below Blaze in conference....that means no playoffs this year.

DevilDom

ASHIPP said:
Blaze have shown how serious they arw about pushing for playoffs by adding a good playerto their roster. Whilst Devils can give the arena teams a run for their money, its clear they need extra support to get any points in these tough conference games. Finish below Blaze in conference....that means no playoffs this year.
I might be mistaken but my understanding on how the playoffs seeding works this year is that even if we finish 4th we will be seeded 5th due to the 2 conference winnners being seeded 1 and 2.

That would mean our play off oppenents are likely to be Sheffield or Belfast based on the current standings. Really hope i'm wrong but with our current form I can't see us beating either of those 2 over 2 legs.

Have Hope#35

DevilDom said:
ASHIPP said:
I might be mistaken but my understanding on how the playoffs seeding works this year is that even if we finish 4th we will be seeded 5th due to the 2 conference winnners being seeded 1 and 2.

That would mean our play off oppenents are likely to be Sheffield or Belfast based on the current standings. Really hope i'm wrong but with our current form I can't see us beating either of those 2 over 2 legs.
That's correct:
The Rapid Solicitors Elite League champions will be seeded number one for the play-offs, while the second seed will be the winner of the Conference that does not produce the league winner. The remaining six play-off spots will be taken in order from the final Elite League table.
The best thing the Devils could do for their Playoff campaign is slip to 7th, that way they would face either Braehead or Dundee in all likelyhood! The way things stand Braehead and Dundee will play each other in the Q.Finals.

ASHIPP

DevilDom said:
ASHIPP said:

You are right Dom. My misunderstanding. Even if Devils were drawn against Braehead or Dundee Im not sure the task would be any easier. Both teams on the rise atm.