Last Signing

Celticdruid said:
Is Gimbletts brother still available given that we are now pushing Batch up into a power forward position this may help our D going into the playoffs (hopefully).
Power Forward is surely one of the most over used and often incorrectly used hockey terms.

Batch needs to add a whole lot more to his game before he should even be considered as one.

Paul Sullivan

Budgie said:
because he's rubbish
Yeah, never fights, doesn't shoot, hasn't scored recently...

:D

There's a bit of a tendency in Cardiff for us to criticise a player when he is active and then elevate his ability / influence when he has left.

I liked Deeds a lot, great guy. Wasn't happy here and it now seems to be working out well for him. But as a straight up swap?

Deeds was nearly 7 PiMs a game vs Jesse's 1.5

Deeds was a goal every 12.5 games, Jesse is a goal every 3.2

In 9 games less than Deeds Jesse has 2 fewer points.

Yes yes I know stats show anything etc etc. But I know what these show me, and it's not 'rubbish'. Certainly not in that comparative context.

Have Hope#35

Paul Sullivan said:
I'm not an expert in hockey recruitment but I would submit that anyone who is a free agent in February is 'free' for a reason. Same as players who's resume's show them changing clubs once or twice each year, or high draft picks who never made the NHL.

DAB signed in Nottingham after leaving his club. Henrich left his Club. Schepke too.

A great many players leave their clubs, or are very recently scratched - to sign for others - so much so that it's rare that any 'free' agents are signed. It's highly unusual to pick up a Jesse Gimblett, who has not been playing regularly for a legitimate reason.
Don't get me wrong, i'm sure that 80-90% of the players out there who are 'free' agents are free for a reason as well! That's why I said that there would be a limited amount of Free Agents that would fit... However you can't tell me that there's no one who isn't good enough to come to the Elite League. I had looked at who was about and Ian McKenzie who has already been mentioned was one of the guys I looked at, it isn't like we need a points machine... Imo we need someone physical who's going to look after his team mates and chip in with the odd point from time to time! (Someone who makes the oppositions players think before they bully the little guys.)

Paul Sullivan

Have Hope#35 said:
Don't get me wrong, i'm sure that 80-90% of the players out there who are 'free' agents are free for a reason as well! That's why I said that there would be a limited amount of Free Agents that would fit... However you can't tell me that there's no one who isn't good enough to come to the Elite League. I had looked at who was about and Ian McKenzie who has already been mentioned was one of the guys I looked at, it isn't like we need a points machine... Imo we need someone physical who's going to look after his team mates and chip in with the odd point from time to time! (Someone who makes the oppositions players think before they bully the little guys.)
I'm not saying nobody, but I have seen and heard some comments that make me think some fans do really believe it is easy to pick up the right guy in little or no time. You only have to look at the Braehead revolving door to see it's not just a case of signing a guy and he fits in.

FWIW though I actually disagree about what we need. I believe we have enough toughness in Gimblett and Marsh for this League. What I think we would really appreciate is another legitimate scorer. Hear me out:
A great deal of our offensive load is shouldered by too few players, and teams are rightly keying on those guys and diminishing our offensive threat. Another scorer would give us an extra dimension that the Panthers, Steelers etc enjoy and mean we would be far harder to contain.
Of course, if he could run over a few guys on the way to scoring that would be nice too :lol:

Have Hope#35

Paul Sullivan said:
Have Hope#35 said:
I'm not saying nobody, but I have seen and heard some comments that make me think some fans do really believe it is easy to pick up the right guy in little or no time. You only have to look at the Braehead revolving door to see it's not just a case of signing a guy and he fits in.

FWIW though I actually disagree about what we need. I believe we have enough toughness in Gimblett and Marsh for this League. What I think we would really appreciate is another legitimate scorer. Hear me out:
A great deal of our offensive load is shouldered by too few players, and teams are rightly keying on those guys and diminishing our offensive threat. Another scorer would give us an extra dimension that the Panthers, Steelers etc enjoy and mean we would be far harder to contain.
Of course, if he could run over a few guys on the way to scoring that would be nice too :lol:
I can't really disagree with most of what you say... However if we were to sign another skill player (another Faulkner) then I think that the likes of Marsh, Gimblett and Batch to a certain extent would have to offer more of a physical threat! None of these are players who could 'run over a few guys' as you put it... Opposition teams aren't scared to come to the BBT and bully us!

Finny

We could really do with another scorer alongside Ben. He was fantastic last night in that first period but none of his linemates are going to score regularly.

Paul Sullivan

Have Hope#35 said:
Paul Sullivan said:
Have Hope#35 said:

I can't really disagree with most of what you say... However if we were to sign another skill player (another Faulkner) then I think that the likes of Marsh, Gimblett and Batch to a certain extent would have to offer more of a physical threat! None of these are players who could 'run over a few guys' as you put it... Opposition teams aren't scared to come to the BBT and bully us!
I hear you. I think the first period showed what we can do. I agree it would be awesome to see that for 60 minutes. One of the best (and busiest!) periods in ages.

Paul Sullivan

rolf said:
i'm no expert on player recruitment either, but this un would do for me. listed as an ECHL free agent, he's a big lump and appears game enough. his agent has thoughtfully left his contact details at the end of this youtube footage clip....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=599ZFHsT ... detailpage
Was a great looking player. I am sure that size of his works well for him now he has retired and is working on oil rigs. Roughneck hockey!

Have Hope#35

Paul Sullivan said:
rolf said:
i'm no expert on player recruitment either, but this un would do for me. listed as an ECHL free agent, he's a big lump and appears game enough. his agent has thoughtfully left his contact details at the end of this youtube footage clip....

Was a great looking player. I am sure that size of his works well for him now he has retired and is working on oil rigs. Roughneck hockey!
Retired at 25, shame... He looked like a talent!

rolf

Thread starter #50
Paul Sullivan said:
rolf said:

Shouldn't be too much of a problem, I think Dion Darling did exactly the same and then returned to play for us. Did ok if I recall. And Jessie G was sat on his harse in college for a while before joining us. At least this un is doing summat physical and could well be outed from his contract easier than a pro player.

But appreciate your superior knowledge here. Thanks

Paul Sullivan

;:|
Jesse was skating every day with a team before coming to us. Needed to gain match fitness but had been on the ice whilst studying.

This isn't a contest about knowledge, no need to be pointed. Simply a case of you offered an option, I merely said he had retired. Its just one example of how something that looks simple isn't necessarily so.

I would *love* to see the reaction if the final import signed by G and Franny, the one with so much expectation and hope piled upon him, was a guy off an oil rig. Some would have a field day with that.

I also think what has been overlooked a little is the fact that had G and Franny blown the budget on any old goalie off google that had been lying around waiting for an offer instead of the guy that has been outstanding for us since arrival, we wouldn't even be in the market for an 11th import.

Yes I am a big supporter of our Coaches. I make no secret of it. I'm not shy of putting my point across even if seen as critical just like you Rolf, did so at the recent forum ;) But even if I were not, I think after the heroics they pulled off with the rapid signing of Chris Whitley (only one game without a starter so close to the deadline in a lockout year), perhaps when they say it's tough to find the right guy we could take them at their word?

rolf

Thread starter #52
yeah well like i said, i bow to your superior knowledge.

not sure what your point is here apart from trying to put me "in my place"

and as for blowing a budget, a bit rich that considering that you will be very well aware of off-ice savings being made by the club................leastways you should if you still share an office

Paul Sullivan said:
I also think what has been overlooked a little is the fact that had G and Franny blown the budget on any old goalie off google that had been lying around waiting for an offer instead of the guy that has been outstanding for us since arrival, we wouldn't even be in the market for an 11th import.
Havn't been able to get to the last 3 games to see Whitley play in person, but can you offer insight on how he's been outstanding? It would be good to get a more rounded picture as I wouldn't want to be judgemental based purely on just looking at the stats from the last 3 games and the youtube goal clips.

Paul Sullivan

rolf said:
yeah well like i said, i bow to your superior knowledge.

not sure what your point is here apart from trying to put me "in my place"

and as for blowing a budget, a bit rich that considering that you will be very well aware of off-ice savings being made by the club................leastways you should if you still share an office
No offence meant, apologies if that's how you took it.

I was debating the point(s) you made, offering some relevant detail and my own take on our situation. Anything else is inferred by you, not implied by me I can assure you.

Paul Sullivan

Oldgoalie80 said:
Paul Sullivan said:
Havn't been able to get to the last 3 games to see Whitley play in person, but can you offer insight on how he's been outstanding? It would be good to get a more rounded picture as I wouldn't want to be judgemental based purely on just looking at the stats from the last 3 games and the youtube goal clips.
I'l try but I am not a Goalie coach :D

I'll start by saying I think Phil Osaer is an excellent Goalie. I was gutted things didn't work out here and in no way does my praise of Chris diminish my opinion of Phil or aim to belittle his performances for us.

I have always held the (layman's) opinion that it's not always about the best goalie. Its about the best fit between Goalie and their D. My case in point for this would be Ervins Mustakovs. For me one of the most worrying and scary goalies I have seen in the League (for home fans). Rebound central and extremely shaky in traffic. There were very strong rumours that the Steelers dressing room begged Finner not to re-sign him. Not that last year's De Caro was any better...

Back on track - 'Moose', in conjunction with his D - posted 10 shutouts in their title season. I have no idea how, and a LOT of hockey players I have spoken to are baffled also. But it just worked for them.

I think that for whatever reason - pressure from management so they step up, increased focus on coaching from G, professionalism - Chris has, so far (and 2 is WAY too small a test sample to be definitive) fitted extremely well with our D.

He tracks the puck well, plays strong positionally (by his own admission a strength) and seems to see the shots well even through the traffic. I quite like Goalies who throw everything and anything at a puck a la Hasek / Tim Thomas and Whitley has shown this in both home games so far - certainly he did last night. He seems, most likely a positional thing, to make 'easy' saves. This may be a combination of him and the D and the way they setup, but it seems like he is playing the kind of game we always complain that visiting Goalies have when they come to Cardiff.

I thought Phil played the puck well, which was a real pleasure after Stevie :D and Chris in no way makes me nervous when he leaves his crease to play it.

He closes the breakaway shooter down quickly and aggressively and never gives up on a puck.

Hopefully that expands it a little and as I said two games is not a great baseline. But when the Panthers threw the kitchen sink at us in the first period last week, he was rock solid. And boy do they know how to pressure a Goalie.

I wish things had worked out for Phil in Cardiff. It was a perfect situation for him and us.

So far however I am very happy and impressed with Chris.

voth26

Budgie said:
A great many players leave their clubs, or are very recently scratched - to sign for others - so much so that it's rare that any 'free' agents are signed. It's highly unusual to pick up a Jesse Gimblett, who has not been playing regularly for a legitimate reason.

That's because he's rubbish[/quote]
Really!!!!! why do you say that

voth26 said:
Budgie said:

That's because he's rubbish
Really!!!!! why do you say that[/quote]

Simple, he is very slow to react, looses the puck, can't stop the puck, can't back or forecheck, not that keen on getting involved, average fighter when he can be bothered, makes his way to the front of opposition goal, but doesn't stay there or seem to know what to do when he's there etc etc

Don't get me wrong he's not a complete mistake, but no better than an average Brit

Shame really as he is probably a very nice guy but I am a big fan of Deeds and he's no replacement

Paul Sullivan

Genuine question Budgie:

Can you please tell me the games in which we were a few goals down or being 'bullied' (an accusation levelled at us all year on this forum) and Deeds took out an Egener / Lloyd / Ling and made the difference?

Where his goals turned a game around?

Not saying Jesse is the answer to all our prayers but 2 goals in 25 games for Deeds and several games where it would have been good to see him go after another team's agitators but I don't remember it happening - doesn't add up to the player you reference in comparison. He's a great player in my opinion, but wasn't in Cardiff.

In contrast Jesse has fought at the opening faceoff, scored more goals and way more points per game. I have previously mentioned that we criticise whilst in Cardiff and wail when they leave Wales.

I believe this to be the case for Deeds too. There was a lot of criticism of him not being our go to tough guy whilst here, and now several have said we are missing him. Please point out the games he dominated and turned around for us, I am happy to be proved wrong?

Well Paul it's easy to turn the question away from the opinion of others!

For me Deeds stood out as an entertainer, always exciting to watch, carried the puck well

Most outstanding game was that altercation with the Chavs where although faulted by many, he actually got stuck into Olson and moved him away from our key players three times, brave spirited move that was full of heart.

I used to say in G we trust, but not so sure anymore