Jeff Pierce joins the Devils!

Thread starter #1
http://www.cardiffdevils.com/news/jeff- ... he-devils/

Devils sign Jeff Pierce
The Cardiff Devils are delighted to announce the signing of Jeff Pearce for 2011-12.
The 6 foot, 180lbs Pierce, a native of Troy, Michigan, comes to the Devils from the Odessa Jackalopes the last three seasons scoring 73 goals and 95 points and has previously played for Western Michigan University. In the 09-10 playoffs with Odessa he scored a superb 11 goals + 20 points in 13 playoff games.

Head Coach Gerad Adams and bench Coach Neil Francis have been working hard on the last few import signings and are very pleased with the latest addition to the roster. Pierce, in his first stint playing in Europe, will join defenceman Chris Frank to make their home debut at the festival of hockey in Cardiff on 28th ~August.

Pierce will join Max Birbraer on the Devils main scoring line, and Adams hopes to have a top class pivot signed to centre their line very soon.

Speaking about his new player, Adams said:

“As soon as we knew that Jon Pelle wasn’t coming back, we quickly identified Jeff Pierce as the man we wanted to fill that spot on the top line wing. At the time Jeff was still considering his options but when we signed Chris Frank, his interest grew and the deal moved quickly from there. Chris and Jeff played together in Western Michigan University together for 3 years and Chris gave Jeff a glowing reference - as did Justin Sawyer, who finished the season with Jeff in Odessa; both spoke of his knack of scoring goals."

"Once Stuart MacRae knew we were after Jeff he quickly gave his endorsement too after playing against him for 2 years. That’s a great vote of confidence from our Captain."

Francis continued the good news:

“Jeff is a quick winger who has a hunger for goals that we were looking for - you just have to see the video clips of his goals to see his reactions time after time to realise that. He has a passionate, feisty edge to his game which will make him exciting to watch. Once again we have done our background research on Jeff and had only positive comments back on what he brings to the dressing room as well as on the ice.

Jeff is also a big asset on the powerplay which will again be important this year and he has been one of the ‘go to’ guys for Odessa over the last few years earning himself a place on the CHL all-rookie team and a finalist for rookie of the year. We are excited to have Jeff with us this year and he is excited to get going too. “

Adams confirmed their next target is a centreman, saying, “We are continuing to work hard to complete our roster, including bringing in an exciting centre to play alongside Jeff and Max.
Tickets for the festival of hockey are on sale now from the box office on 029 20 382001 or the tickets section of cardiffdevils.com

Looks like he should be a decent player but if he is expected to play on the 1st line and replace Pelle, perhaps would have hoped for slightly better?

E.D.S.

J.B said:
Looks like he should be a decent player but if he is expected to play on the 1st line and replace Pelle, perhaps would have hoped for slightly better?
Another post to evoke a reaction or are you genuinely concerned for our beloved team??
How could you possibly know how good Pelle was going to be? We don't know how good this guy is going to be. Let's be honest given Pelles performance last year, you'll probably struggle to find someone better in the league this year let alone the Devils team, that will match those stats. A certain Mr Fulgram went from hero to zero in the space of 12 months.

TheStub

Re: Re: Jeff Pierce joins the Devils!

J.B said:
How so? His stats are comparable, if not a little better, than Pelle - going just on the numbers.

E.D.S. said:
A certain Mr Fulgram went from hero to zero in the space of 12 months.
Did he? :? Many fans thought he had a better season last year than he did in the title winning team and scored more points.

Just giving my opinion as that is what forums are for. As I said, looks decent but doesn't leave me going "wow". Sorry about that.

TheStub

Re: Re: Jeff Pierce joins the Devils!

J.B said:
Just giving my opinion as that is what forums are for. As I said, looks decent but doesn't leave me going "wow". Sorry about that.
But what would? He has no EIHL stats. You can only cf CHL, and his stats are on a par with Pelle.

We'll see if he explodes - but a lot will rest on the centre. As it will for Belfast. Pelle was good at finding those gaps - but he needs players who can find him. It'll be interesting how he gets on with a different line.

Finny

When we signed Pelle last season J.B. - did you go "wow" then?

No, of course you didn't. Nor did I and I think a lot of people were pleased with the signing but it didn't stand out at the time.

Nobody could really have expected the number of goals from Pelle that he did score (well - apart from G!). He actually scored more league goals last season that he had in his previous 3 combined!

Sometimes the EIHL suits a player and they have a career-best season. That is what happened with Pelle.

Will the same happen with Pierce? No one can tell yet. All we do know is that is stats are pretty similar to Pelle's if not perhaps a little better as TheStub has pointed out.

Obviously he is going to be compared to Pelle over the season, but I'm not expecting him to score 50+ goals. Who knows - he may help to bring out the best in Max or the centre and allow them to score more goals.

Anyway, it looks like another good signing and the team is starting to shape up rather nicely.

Rempel16

Looks like a good signing, really pleased about this one, and endorsed by our captain, our tank, and an ex-favourite. That's good enough for me.

Hoping the Matzka rumour has some legs now, as we could certainly see another 100 pointer in this guy if Matzka/similar calibre is along side him.

(Likewise Pelle will only repeat is point scoring with Matzka next to him imo)

JB, rubbish again. End of debating with you.

Looks to be a great signing, the fact he has played for 3 years with the tank can only be a good thing. Hopefully we will now get a matzka type centre and the team will really be looking good. Seems g is trying to recreate last years formula

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

nmase20 said:
Looks to be a great signing, the fact he has played for 3 years with the tank can only be a good thing. Hopefully we will now get a matzka type centre and the team will really be looking good. Seems g is trying to recreate last years formula

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk
Hopefully identically looking with the same name :D

Looks like a decent signing....

I doubt many of us predicted last season how many goals Pelle would get... this guy has similar stats, so let's hope G has found another gem.

Very promising looking signing. :D Although there's no videos of him on youtube so i'm pretty sure that means he doesn't actually exist. ;)

#inGwetrust

buzzwagon said:
Hopefully identically looking with the same name :D
With the tweet below from his Twitter account (if I've read it correctly) I doubt it!, But hey, stranger things have happened?!

"@itsstevemunn Hey buddy, send me a message with your email. Got a couple questions for you. interesting stuff with Globke, total bushleague.
14 Jun"