Increased activity outside IAW …..

august04 2.0

What they need now is direct questions to drakeford about it at every press conference he gives. That way he can't hide behind his spokespeople.
I wouldn’t hold your breath on that one…..they must control the questions that are allowed in those press conferences, either that or we have a dearth of competent journalists in Wales. It’s in the TV/radio interviews that Drakeford gives, that the questions need to be asked. They usually give him a much harder time, and he’s shot himself in the foot on numerous occasions under that level of scrutiny - most notably when he skewered himself on Radio 4, when asked if he was storing vaccines and then commented that the roll out “was not a sprint”. Surprise, suprise after that one, the roll-out sharply accelerated.

I have been playing roller hockey in the house of sport for the last 6 weeks I carnt see the difference in this to the ice rink , back training! I’m the house of sport just down the road Went there last nite and it was packed netball and football and hockey been played so how the hell they can not let the ice rink open is beyond me and a joke

moggy#9

I have been playing roller hockey in the house of sport for the last 6 weeks I carnt see the difference in this to the ice rink , back training! I’m the house of sport just down the road Went there last nite and it was packed netball and football and hockey been played so how the hell they can not let the ice rink open is beyond me and a joke
To be honest I think that they equate ice rinks with leisure skating rather than serious sport.

Finny

Really good piece on BBC Wales night and perfectly pitched. For those who didn't see it they focused on:
- Young figure skaters rolling blading outside IAW as their only other option was to go to Coventry at 3am
- Junior Devils playing roller hockey indoors - worried that their rivals in England would be getting more ice practice than them.

Articles like this will get a lot of public sympathy. Hopefully ITV Wales have/will do one too?

I'm not convinced a protest outside the Senedd will get the same public support unless the overwhelming majority of protests are children. I can't think of a single protest during the pandemic that has had good publicity - even when it has been for good reasons.
I remember scanning through social media when the Gym protest was planned and it was getting a huge amount of criticism.

Next step IMO is to email your Senedd Member(s). Don't forget you have more than one representing you so you can email one of the opposition parties if you think you'll have more success that way.

moggy#9

Really good piece on BBC Wales night and perfectly pitched. For those who didn't see it they focused on:
- Young figure skaters rolling blading outside IAW as their only other option was to go to Coventry at 3am
- Junior Devils playing roller hockey indoors - worried that their rivals in England would be getting more ice practice than them.

Articles like this will get a lot of public sympathy. Hopefully ITV Wales have/will do one too?

I'm not convinced a protest outside the Senedd will get the same public support unless the overwhelming majority of protests are children. I can't think of a single protest during the pandemic that has had good publicity - even when it has been for good reasons.
I remember scanning through social media when the Gym protest was planned and it was getting a huge amount of criticism.

Next step IMO is to email your Senedd Member(s). Don't forget you have more than one representing you so you can email one of the opposition parties if you think you'll have more success that way.
To be honest, emailing the AMs will probably make zero difference. The set up of the assembly is such that hardly any of them are in jeopardy of losing their seats. They're more concerned about satisfying their party machinery than their constituents. In my view the only way to push this along is relentless media pressure. A single day of coverage, no matter how good, simply doesn't cut it.

Kevlar68

I agree about protests being the wrong road to go down only for the fact that gone are the days of peaceful protests on doorsteps of government buildings as outside factors turn it in to violence and destruction which the Red Army and Devils do not want as a mark against them.

Finny

To be honest, emailing the AMs will probably make zero difference. The set up of the assembly is such that hardly any of them are in jeopardy of losing their seats. They're more concerned about satisfying their party machinery than their constituents. In my view the only way to push this along is relentless media pressure. A single day of coverage, no matter how good, simply doesn't cut it.
You don't think that the Tories or Plaid Cymru would jump at the chance to put their name behind something with which they might get public support and be able to criticise the Welsh Gov for?

Well I've emailed my MS, hopefully it will make a difference.

moggy#9

You don't think that the Tories or Plaid Cymru would jump at the chance to put their name behind something with which they might get public support and be able to criticise the Welsh Gov for?

I'm sure that they'd love to criticise Labour. My point is that it makes no difference because the position of drakeford and co is so entrenched. This is the reason why they've had, at the very least, a share of government since the assembly was set up.

NathanG

Tories are too busy banging on about the M4 relief road to care about the IAW, sadly. And plaid, well..

I am going to email my Tory regional AM though. My Llanelli Labour AM has already shut me down on Facebook.

moggy#9

Tories are too busy banging on about the M4 relief road to care about the IAW, sadly. And plaid, well..

I am going to email my Tory regional AM though. My Llanelli Labour AM has already shut me down on Facebook.
Out of interest, what did the am say? Was it a question of following the party line, or just not interested in anything Cardiff related.

Well, well 60,000 at Wembley for Euros final now 140,000 at Silverstone in July for the British Grand Prix!!!!!!
Of course the Welsh Assembly can't risk 1500 to 3200 in our rink.!!!
Do you remember the trial indoor raves in Manchester a month ago? That was checked and less than 0.3% contracted Covid19.
WAG are so far away from reality they are more like the North Korea government

Finny

Well, well 60,000 at Wembley for Euros final now 140,000 at Silverstone in July for the British Grand Prix!!!!!!
Of course the Welsh Assembly can't risk 1500 to 3200 in our rink.!!!
Do you remember the trial indoor raves in Manchester a month ago? That was checked and less than 0.3% contracted Covid19.
WAG are so far away from reality they are more like the North Korea government
There is a big difference between people being outside in a stadium and indoors in a rink though. Not that I agree with either of capacity figures.
Other than a small couple of test events I don't think England is allowing big numbers indoors yet are they?

My personal opinion is that the UK government are gambling massively in the hope that lots of people catch it now in the summer so the hospital admissions/deaths aren't 'too bad' before a potential 4th wave in the winter.

kingmo19.1

Thread starter #133
I think a peaceful protest outside the Senedd is the way to go. Fans wearing shirts, bring your flags, banners and anything colourful. I’d be surprised if the so called “nutters” in this thread will jeopardise it! This isn’t a Cardiff City protest!

august04 2.0

A big increase in the case numbers today but there are still only 27 COVID hospitalisations in Wales and 1 in an invasive, ventilated bed (according to WOL, as of 23rd June). As long as these hospitalisations remain low in the coming weeks, then there‘s no reason not to expect that we will be back to some sort of normality at IAW, in time for the start of the season. It’s clear that the vaccines have indeed broken the link between the number of cases and serious illness/deaths, which probably explains the announcements from Westminster and Scotland, about further easing/removing remaining restrictions on July 19th (and eventually August 9th in Scotland). I’m sure that if it’s good enough for Scotland, then the Welsh Gov will follow suit, as they have tended to do throughout this pandemic.

mjh

The whole thing is frustrating! The FM says that we’re leading the world in the vaccinations administered, yet our ice rink is still closed, then you see that the golden knights are at full capacity and ice rinks are open around the uk!
I think a peaceful protest outside the Senedd is the way to go. Fans wearing shirts, bring your flags, banners and anything colourful. I’d be surprised if the so called “nutters” in this thread will jeopardise it! This isn’t a Cardiff City protest!

Apologies if my previous post made out that I thought there were 'nutters' on the forum. Certainly wasn't meant that way. I was referring to those who seem to arrive at organised protests just to cause trouble.

If there was a protest, there would need to be large enough numbers to make an impression. I've written to my MS's but no reply as yet.

Just put this question on Wales on line website where they asked for any questions for Drake Ford at tomorrow's press conference. '' Why Mr Drakeford can't you open the Cardiff Ice Rink when your reference document is totally incorrect in its conclusions and where the UK rinks have been opened a month ! There is no difference from a swimming pool that is open except the water is frozen ! I bet you didn't know that !