Increased activity outside IAW …..

NathanG

Out of interest, what did the am say? Was it a question of following the party line, or just not interested in anything Cardiff related.
"It was discussed and the view is that the time isn't right"

I put the data to him regarding the outdated evidence and the examples of rinks being open in England and told him that there's has not been an increase in infection rates.

He chimed back telling me that there has been and a third wave is upon us. I despair. I really rated him too. He's also responsible for road building being on hold in Wales.

august04 2.0

"It was discussed and the view is that the time isn't right"

I put the data to him regarding the outdated evidence and the examples of rinks being open in England and told him that there's has not been an increase in infection rates.

He chimed back telling me that there has been and a third wave is upon us. I despair. I really rated him too. He's also responsible for road building being on hold in Wales.
Standard answer by the sounds of it, I got the same - and I didn’t expect any different. So essentially there‘s no evidence whatsoever that opening rinks in the UK and elsewhere has led to increased transmission - but the ”time isn’t right” for IAW and the only “evidence” they have is that utterly ridiculous document from Nov 20, most of which has been debunked by now. Kelman is obviously a very professional and intelligent man. It must be so frustrating for him to have to deal with these incompetent, self serving morons.

august04 2.0

LBC asked Drakeford about IAW at his press conference. Not the most encouraging answer I have to say, with their chief medical and scientific officer still advising that the time isn’t right - no more detailed reasons given than that though (not sure how their evidence differs from their English or Scottish counterparts?). A very, very disappointing response and I feel less hopeful than ever after seeing our esteemed FM give it such short shrift. I think it’s time to protest at the Senedd…

Last edited:

Finny

LBC have just raised the issue at the weekly briefing.

Reply was: It was discussed last week and the advice they received was that it was not the right time to reopen ice rinks due to the additional dangers of the cold environment.
However they continue to receive updates from around the world and hope to be able reopen them once the advice they receive changes.

He also mentioned that they are also in talks to be able to reopen the Arena for professional sports. It sounded like that might happen before opening to the public?

august04 2.0

LBC have just raised the issue at the weekly briefing.

Reply was: It was discussed last week and the advice they received was that it was not the right time to reopen ice rinks due to the additional dangers of the cold environment.
However they continue to receive updates from around the world and hope to be able reopen them once the advice they receive changes.

He also mentioned that they are also in talks to be able to reopen the Arena for professional sports. It sounded like that might happen before opening to the public?
What baffles me is that he said they’re receiving advice from around the world. Well, in England and Scotland, which is our most relevant reference point (and across the pond), they’re open. So surely the advice that they’re receiving from other countries, is that they’re safe - otherwise they’d be closed elsewhere too. So what’s going to change?
I don’t think anyone has advocated the opening of public skating just yet, but to limit it to “professional” sports still rules out all the figure skating, junior ice hockey clubs etc. Why?

Last edited:

Finny

It does leave a lot of questions still unanswered, perhaps they are being intentionally vague whilst they watch to see what happens with the Delta variant.
Presumably they are still being heavily influenced by the report which highlighted the danger of infection from freshly cut ice.

I was surprised that he seemed to suggest that the return of professional sport might be able to return sooner than public admission. Perhaps the two CHL games will be used as test events?

mjh

How opening to athletes and not public would work is beyond me. 1. Cost implications. Clearly a huge loss for operating the facility without punters. 2. The Devils. All well and good training but can't play without the crowds. Again, huge financial implications. Mr Drakeford is sending very mixed messages. He's saying you can't open the single viable rink in Wales because its not safe. However, he's completely ignoring the knock on effect which sees rink users travelling into England, and in some cases, areas of higher infection before returning to Cardiff. Nonsensical approach and just stinks of political point scoring. He spent a fair chunk of the conference slinging mud at Westminster. Needs to focus on Wales and showing confidence in vaccines and enabling the business to operate. Inching closer to serious financial trouble for the Devils, i fear.

moggy#9

Earnie

Mark Drakeford dislikes two things.
He does not like being criticised and he does not like getting pushed. He gives it away with his responses.
I think shortly he will allow the rink to open - to show it is done so at his terms.
Hopefully next time people will see the light and vote differently.

At least we are ready to open, the ice has been laid ahead of opening Todd in the video clip can be seen standing on the ice. So we have saved weeks of preparation the only thing we are missing is the sponsorship adverts being painted on ice. Then the public get access to the second rink and players arrive in July/August to train. There is light at the end of the tunnel no thanks to Drakeford!

august04 2.0

Apparently, of 58,000 people who attended these test events (indoor and outdoor), there were 28 positive cases followed up afterwards. I think those numbers speak for themselves. There is no reason why we can’t reopen and stage indoor events if we follow the process/requirements as per these tests I.e. a recent negative test result or evidence of full vaccination.

mjh

I'd read into Drakeford'S response that the rink may open soon to professionals only. No sign that the rink will be 'safe' in WGs eyes for some time to come.

moggy#9

At least we are ready to open, the ice has been laid ahead of opening Todd in the video clip can be seen standing on the ice. So we have saved weeks of preparation the only thing we are missing is the sponsorship adverts being painted on ice. Then the public get access to the second rink and players arrive in July/August to train. There is light at the end of the tunnel no thanks to Drakeford!
Is that ice, or just the concrete base?

kingmo19.1

Thread starter #156
Ridiculous over the top nanny state management by Drakeford and co.

This is why devolution doesn’t work for me, it gives people like Drakeford and Sturgeon a platform to simply disagree with what’s been decided in Westminster. And for the majority of the time, it’s disagreeing simply because they can disagree.

The clowns in the Senedd need simply to analyse the effects seen in England and a Scotland to arrive at a sensible conclusion -
And that should NOT BE a time consuming exercise.

Shrouding the issue in misleading and unfounded comments is simply embarrassing. Get a grip Drakeford and show some proper leadership rather than skirting the issue!

moggy#9

Ridiculous over the top nanny state management by Drakeford and co.

This is why devolution doesn’t work for me, it gives people like Drakeford and Sturgeon a platform to simply disagree with what’s been decided in Westminster. And for the majority of the time, it’s disagreeing simply because they can disagree.

The clowns in the Senedd need simply to analyse the effects seen in England and a Scotland to arrive at a sensible conclusion -
And that should NOT BE a time consuming exercise.

Shrouding the issue in misleading and unfounded comments is simply embarrassing. Get a grip Drakeford and show some proper leadership rather than skirting the issue!
Perhaps we need to find someone to build a rink in ammanford or Aberystwyth, cos they don't seem interested in anything that happens in Cardiff.

NathanG

I honestly don't know what to take from that press conference. Who are these experts? Are they sage or a similar organisation? Why is it so difficult to analyse the data from English rinks?

I'm a critic of the assembly and especially this administration. Is this political point scoring or is he being stubborn here because the sh*t him and his experts spout is so full of holes.

You get what you vote for, I guess.

Concrete base that is no ice on that ! I know rec teams have been told the start of august they can start training but who knows with that dickhead in charge
Have you looked at Todd on the Heart News Wales twitter feed interview?
That shiny white stuff that goes almost up to the box doors is not dirty grey concrete base is it.?