Increased activity outside IAW …..

Finny

I just saw a news headline saying no covid deaths in Wales for the last week. Yes the stats tend to lag, but surely good news.
3 have been reported in the last week, but because of the lag in reporting they all occured more than a week ago.
It's actually a slight increase on previous weeks, but numbers are so low it doesn't really matter.
Wales has been averaging less than 1 death a day now for over a month.

moggy#9

3 have been reported in the last week, but because of the lag in reporting they all occured more than a week ago.
It's actually a slight increase on previous weeks, but numbers are so low it doesn't really matter.
Wales has been averaging less than 1 death a day now for over a month.
That's fair comment. The media at the moment is loving quoting percentage figures, seemingly for shock value. Break though, even with reported increases in cases things are looking reasonably positive.

Finny

Thousands of people in Wimbledon with roof closed. How does that fit into the equation?
They're mostly rich, Tory donors.
The rules don't apply to them, unless to us ordinary folk.

And if you don't believe me the Tory Government have just announced that in England "senior executives can temporarily leave quarantine if they are undertaking business activities which will bring significant economic benefit to the economy"

Meanwhile the plebs have to stick to the rules for another 3 weeks.

august04 2.0

They're mostly rich, Tory donors.
The rules don't apply to them, unless to us ordinary folk.
Well actually those attending Wimbledon need to show evidence of full Covid vaccination or a negative lateral flow test result in the preceding 48 hours, which is surely sensible for any events in the UK at the moment. But don’t let the facts get in the way of your hatred for the Westminster government!

Finny

Anyway, more positivity:

In Wales, there are signs that
Well actually those attending Wimbledon need to show evidence of full Covid vaccination or a negative lateral flow test result in the preceding 48 hours, which is surely sensible for any events in the UK at the moment. But don’t let the facts get in the way of your hatred for the Westminster government!
No comment on the second part that rich people no longer have to quarantine?

august04 2.0

No comment on the second part that rich people no longer have to quarantine?
I don’t know if that’s true or not as I haven’t seen it reported anywhere but your first comment was blatantly false and needed to be answered. The level of debate this past few pages has been good with various opinions demonstrated. Let’s try to keep to keep it that way, based on data, science, reality and facts - and not peddle such obvious mistruths.

NathanG

The petition to to open the rink has just tipped 5k. Drakeford has clearly seen the the replies and tweets directed at him but is choosing to ignore then along with that wet blanket, Frank Atherton. Appaling lack of leadership on this issue and quite frankly, embarrassing.

If you're on Twitter, search "ice arena Wales" in posts and check it out. Maybe chime in but honestly I don't think he'll be the slightest bit interested.

I've publicity tried to reach out to RT Davies (again) and also Adam Price.

Finny

Anyway, time for some positivity:

The situation in Wales is continuing to look good.
There are signs that the increase in cases is starting to slow. This would fit in with the Welsh Government's prediction that we will hit the peak of the current wave in July.
Indeed, some areas look like they might have already hit their peak. Perhaps most importantly in North Wales where the recent wave started, cases look to be dropping and hospital admissions have been dropping for over a week.

Still a bit too early for anything certain as some areas (Cwm Taf) are only starting the wave but with admissions staying low/decreasing it's looking good for the relaxation of restrictions to continue next month.

august04 2.0

Ha, Finny dislikes the Westminster government as much I dislike Welsh Labour.
We are all allowed an opinion .
This is not exactly on topic but it does play a part in our on ice future.
I get that and have no problem with anyone having an alternative political opinion. That’s healthy. But let’s keep things sensible, without resorting to the level of drivel in that particular comment about Wimbledon. That was just nonsense.

Finny

I don’t know if that’s true or not as I haven’t seen it reported anywhere but your first comment was blatantly false and needed to be answered. The level of debate this past few pages has been good with various opinions demonstrated. Let’s try to keep to keep it that way, based on data, science, reality and facts - and not peddle such obvious mistruths.
https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19...tine-exemption-when-visiting-england-12344731

Although they have since clarified that is only applies to foreign visitors, not our own rich people.

august04 2.0

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19...tine-exemption-when-visiting-england-12344731

Although they have since clarified that is only applies to foreign visitors, not our own rich people.
We agree on this then, it’s wrong, no argument from me on that. The rules are there for everybody, no exceptions - and there have been high profile breaches from all sections of the political divide (and scientists whose advice has resulted in us being restricted for so long) throughout the pandemic. I don’t think it really matters whether you're Labour, Tory, Plaid, SNP etc etc - there has always been one rule for the politicians and one for the rest of us (not restricted to the pandemic either). I think most of them are self serving leeches, whether in Westminster, Edinburgh or the Senedd.

Devil94

Anyway, time for some positivity:

The situation in Wales is continuing to look good.
There are signs that the increase in cases is starting to slow. This would fit in with the Welsh Government's prediction that we will hit the peak of the current wave in July.
Indeed, some areas look like they might have already hit their peak. Perhaps most importantly in North Wales where the recent wave started, cases look to be dropping and hospital admissions have been dropping for over a week.

Still a bit too early for anything certain as some areas (Cwm Taf) are only starting the wave but with admissions staying low/decreasing it's looking good for the relaxation of restrictions to continue next month.
Fantastic to see the Welsh approach to Covid recovery continuing to outperform the other UK countries. This will benefit us in the long run when it comes to ice hockey in Cardiff.

august04 2.0

Fantastic to see the Welsh approach to Covid recovery continuing to outperform the other UK countries. This will benefit us in the long run when it comes to ice hockey in Cardiff.
Absolutely, an obvious demonstration that the vaccine roll out has been successful in Wales and that the vaccines are clearly working. Increasing case numbers are not the key measure anymore. No reason not to open IAW now then (which means use of the facilities in 6 weeks time let’s remember), why are we still waiting?

Finny

Absolutely, an obvious demonstration that the vaccine roll out has been successful in Wales and that the vaccines are clearly working. Increasing case numbers are not the key measure anymore. No reason not to open IAW now then, why are we still waiting?
The Welsh Government have said that they won't be making any changes during this 4 week pause. And whilst the outlook is optomistic, we do still need another week or two to be sure.

The best we can hope is that cases start to drop and admissions/deaths continue to drop so that when they have their next cabinet meeting to discuss it, the relaxation of restrictions can resume and the reopening of IAW will be the first thing on that list.