Increased activity outside IAW …..

Kevlar68

Being as Wales vaccination programme is going pretty well i'd think by end of Aug maybe 80% of fan base would be double jabbed and its better to start with that than no season or team at all.
We've had quite a few games all season with about 80% capacity so we could cope for a few games at start with 80% capacity i would have thought, 2400 fans, not to shabby..
It wouldn't be to long before all would have had both jabs. Open with strict guidelines of all masked, proof shown and movement around arena kept to a minimum (toilet, food, drinks) no people just milling about (so that's me) and children not allowed to play and run around arena.

Last edited:

august04 2.0

I think the restrictions will be much less stringent than that in England come September, even talk in the media today of no legal requirement to show “vaccine passports” at larger events after July 19. The question is, will Wales follow suit? The Devils could be at a huge financial disadvantage if we don’t (and curb spectator levels for example).

Hedd Wyn John

If WG don't allow the open the ice rink by then,
Pretty sure its 16th july..
If WG doesn't change stance then we're looking at August 16th and serious problems starting the season. I've gotta feeling WG will go half way, allow opening but with significantly reduced capacity which is a big problem.

So far the mood music from WG isn't positive. If the rink isn't allowed to open by August 16th that's it, they won't allow it to open full stop.

Hedd Wyn John

Being as Wales vaccination programme is going pretty well i'd think by end of Aug maybe 80% of fan base would be double jabbed and its better to start with that than no season or team at all.
We've had quite a few games all season with about 80% capacity so we could cope for a few games at start with 80% capacity i would have thought, 2400 fans, not to shabby..
It wouldn't be to long before all would have had both jabs. Open with strict guidelines of all masked, proof shown and movement around arena kept to a minimum (toilet, food, drinks) no people just milling about (so that's me) and children not allowed to play and run around arena.
I can't see WG allowing more than 50% capacity. I hope I'm wrong.

I wonder what the restrictions will be when the rink/ice hockey restarts.

I attended my first sporting event last week - racing at Ffos Las. All tickets had to be bought online with full details registered. Annual members (season ticket holders) had to go through the same process. No tickets sales at the gate. Bars open but you could only enter by buy drinks then you had to outside and were not allowed to drink standing up but at benches/tables.

It was well organised and luckily it was a nice evening. Participants ie jockeys, trainers etc were in a segregated area

moggy#9

Has anyone considered that Cardiff council should be lobbying to get the rink reopened? After all, it is one of Cardiff's flagship facilities in the sports village that is being jeopardised. Given that both they and drakeford's shower are run by the same party, perhaps they could have some influence.

pjj365

Not directly comparable but may give an indication of WG thinking
Cardiff half marathon postponed from Oct 21 to March 22 due to social distancing

Even if, say, WG only allows IAW to open with 50% capacity to start off, how confident are we in the Devils receiving financial support to top up the remaining 50% so they can get up and running again?

Took a while last time, but the Devils did eventually manage to get some support to help them through the cancelled season. Seems the right thing to do if restrictions are still being imposed when all adults are full-vaccinated, no?

Finny

It looks like the UK government have decided that England will have to learn to live with Covid, and are opening up fully on July 19, restrictions in schools included (although won’t really effect schools much until September) - reportedly with the blessing of CMO Prof Chris Whitty. You would assume the Wales CMO, Dr. Frank Atherton, would be following the same advice from SAGE as Prof Whitty, so will we be doing the same in Wales?
Usually when something like this is leaked to the press with Whitty or JVT's 'backing' it's with very carefully worded support.

Personally, I think a complete opening up is dangerous and I hope Wales don't do it. Although with Wales about to be flooded with super-spreaders from England for the holidays that might be tricky.

A further relaxation of restrictions (including the reopening of IAW) I would fully support. But cases are still rising with social distancing and mask wearing in place.
Scrap that and one of two things will happen:
-We'll have a surge of cases at levels we've never seen before, but the vaccine effect holds and after a month or two we develop herd immunity.
--We'll have a surge of cases at levels we've never seen before, overwhelming the vaccine and the NHS and we're back in lockdown for the start of the new school term in September.

Finny

Surely Drakeford should be consistent in his cold location logic! The rink is cold = closed. Walk down the frozen isle at my local Tesco Extra and it’s like the Antarctic!

So why isn’t that closed and the shop made to present customers with frozen items rather than allow them to walk down there and browse, wallow away, chat etc for a good 15-20 mins? Isn’t that of equal risk?

Hmmm!
Not sure if you're pretending to not understand the difference to make a point, or whether you really don't understand the difference?
The report I read said that the issue with ice rinks is Covid droplets falling to the ice and freezing/cooling - but not dying like they do in the open air. When someone skates over them they're effectively heated back up and turned back into water droplets for someone new to breathe in.

That doesn't happen in a supermarket - especially as people should be wearing masks to restrict what droplets they breathe in.

august04 2.0

Not sure if you're pretending to not understand the difference to make a point, or whether you really don't understand the difference?
The report I read said that the issue with ice rinks is Covid droplets falling to the ice and freezing/cooling - but not dying like they do in the open air. When someone skates over them they're effectively heated back up and turned back into water droplets for someone new to breathe in.

That doesn't happen in a supermarket - especially as people should be wearing masks to restrict what droplets they breathe in.
That must only apply to Welsh water then (!), other countries are obviously not that bothered about that ”risk”, or other ice facilities elsewhere wouldn’t be open.