Increased activity outside IAW …..

moggy#9

All the way through covid I've been very much in the pro restrictions camp. It's been a constant source of annoyance to me when I've seen people not following the rules. But the concerns around covid have always been about more than just the fatality rate, it's about all the other problems which go with the pandemic. What's changed this year though, is the vaccination programme. By the time we get to the autumn all adults should have been offered both jabs. To be honest I have very little time for those who refuse jabs. If they want to be such complete Muppets, I have no problem with them being excluded from events. It's not just about vaccinations though. There is a much better understanding of the virus and the steps that stop it spreading. It is these compensating controls that are key. There are ways and means of potentially allowing hockey to return. The question the assembly should be asking is how places can open safely, not just lazily assuming that it's not.

Finny

If you fear a virus that has a 0.099% death rate then you can continue to hide away and wet the bed as the majority of us get on with our lives.
Where did you get that death rate from?

It’s hard to get an accurate death rate as we don’t know many people have actually had it.
If you were to calculate it based on the number of people who have tested positive it would be 3.2%.
But that doesn’t take into account those who weren’t tested or were asymptotic.

However, as of yesterday 0.23% of the U.K. population had died of Covid-19. Which would rubbish your figure.

Finny

So what do you want to do, hide away forever? Whether we like it or not, travel will be opening up soon, and there will inevitably be more variants. But as of now, the vaccines have been highly effective against them. Until that changes, we have to get on with our lives. In Wales, we’re in excess of 90+ % fully vaccinated for 7 of the first 10 higher risk groups. The 3 groups not in excess of 90% fully vaccinated, are all 80% plus. Those 10 groups include everyone over 60, health/care workers, and people 16-64 with underlying health conditions. To add to that, 78% of the 50-59 group have been fully vaccinated. So it’s very clear that the people most vulnerable (including those very brave workers on the front line in our hospitals) are not going to get better protected than they are now (unless new variants down the line need us to have booster jabs). Yes, you’ll still get some people who become ill and sadly die - but that happens with other respiratory illnesses like flu and pneumonia (which could be more of a problem than COVID in the winter, with fewer people mixing together this past 18 months). You are never going to eliminate that. Even in the lowest adult group aged 18-29, 70% have received a first dose, which will offer a level of protection against hospitalisation and serious illness. And kids are not getting seriously ill in general terms with this virus thankfully. So don’t peddle crap like “we don’t have that high a proportion vaccinated”. With nonsense like that, you could be a spokesman for Drakeford!
I wouldn’t be too confident on the reopening of travel.
The U.K. government might be saying they’re willing to reopen, but which countries are going to want us?

Its increasingly looking like the government are attempting herd immunity this summer by letting the virus spread through the young in the hope the vaccine keeps the old and vulnerable out of hospital.

That might work, but with the case rate increasing daily it’s just a matter of time before most countries ban visitors from the U.K.
The vaccine might allow us to start our season here but I wouldn’t book any accommodation for the CHL games that you can’t cancel.

Hedd Wyn John

The way I see it, positive risk taking is needed to get out of the lockdown. The scientists are playing catch up and get it wrong a lot.

First masks don't work, then they do (even though evidence on this is contradictory)

Also there was stopping air travel won't stop the virus (top scientists actually said that) now we know the countries that stopped international travel the earliest are the ones that have done better with the virus.

Then it was asymptomatic transmission was big now its minimal. The list goes on.

Basically what I'm saying is that scientists are doing a lot of guess work and they're turning out to be wrong on lots of covid matters.

The only way we'll know if ice rinks are safe to open up is you open them up and closely monitor them. Everything else is theoretical.

moggy#9

The way I see it, positive risk taking is needed to get out of the lockdown. The scientists are playing catch up and get it wrong a lot.

First masks don't work, then they do (even though evidence on this is contradictory)

Also there was stopping air travel won't stop the virus (top scientists actually said that) now we know the countries that stopped international travel the earliest are the ones that have done better with the virus.

Then it was asymptomatic transmission was big now its minimal. The list goes on.

Basically what I'm saying is that scientists are doing a lot of guess work and they're turning out to be wrong on lots of covid matters.

The only way we'll know if ice rinks are safe to open up is you open them up and closely monitor them. Everything else is theoretical.
The thing is that the science is evidence based. If the evidence is inconclusive then scientists will of course err on the side of caution. That's fine as long as their position is updated when evidence gives a clearer picture. It seems that's not happened in our case.

I suggest you have a look at the latest figures for Cardiff. Highest positivity rates in Wales - quadrupled in 14 days.

Areas of Cardiff close to 200 per 100,000

mjh

At some point, people have to choose their own level of risk. We do with all other aspects of life. Cases rising etc but most vulnerable vaccinated and many many more besides. It's a case of, if not now, when? Whatever your opinion, I hope to see you all at a game before too long. My fear is, the business will be massively damaged before we can get there due to political decisions.

Since when has saving lives or preventing longtime illness been political. All of us hava a duty to behave responsibly which I afraid is not the case. The elderly and most vulnerable may be vaccinated but the younger age groups are responsible for the delay in ending lock down. Cathays infection rate has increased 10 fold in little of a week and still climbing.

davew

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...d-variant-may-be-edging-race-against-vaccines

Worrying article in today's Guardian online

Research conducted in the UK, where the variant accounts for 99% of new Covid cases, suggests it is about 60% more transmissible than the Alpha variant, which previously dominated. It may also be linked to a greater risk of hospitalisation and is somewhat more resistant to vaccines, particularly after one dose.
“This is the problem with hanging everything on vaccines until you’ve got something near a population immunity threshold … you need a much higher coverage to protect against a variant that’s more transmissible,” said Dr Stephen Griffin, a virologist and associate professor at the University of Leeds school of medicine.
“It just speaks to the fact that we really, really must keep cases down at the same time as rolling the vaccines out.”
The calls for caution come at a time when research in Australia indicates just how easily the Delta variant can potentially spread. Based on CCTV footage, health officials suspect it has been transmitted in “scarily fleeting” encounters of roughly five to 10 seconds between people walking past each other in an indoor shopping area in Sydney in at least two instances.
There were no mask mandates in place in Sydney at the time, and the individuals were unlikely to have been vaccinated given that less than 5% of the Australian population have received both doses. The city and some surrounding areas entered a strict two-week lockdown on Saturday in an effort to curb the spread of the Delta variant.

mjh

Since when has saving lives or preventing longtime illness been political. All of us hava a duty to behave responsibly which I afraid is not the case. The elderly and most vulnerable may be vaccinated but the younger age groups are responsible for the delay in ending lock down. Cathays infection rate has increased 10 fold in little of a week and still climbing.

My point was the decision to keep the arena shut is political in that its been made by politicians. Its a factual statement and doesn't reflect on whether those decisions are right on wrong. Decisions are made and they have an impact. In this case, the business may not continue (as with many others). Clearly, whatever anyone thinks about restrictions, they have both positive and negative impacts. It's not a simplistic picture. Even the countries with the very strictest of measures are still locked down in many cases. Don't forget, the UK had amongst the strictest in Europe. In all countries there will be those who bend or break the rules. Its clearly an illness which will be endemic. My point is that we cannot lockdown indefinitely.

Finny

My point was the decision to keep the arena shut is political in that its been made by politicians. Its a factual statement and doesn't reflect on whether those decisions are right on wrong. Decisions are made and they have an impact. In this case, the business may not continue (as with many others). Clearly, whatever anyone thinks about restrictions, they have both positive and negative impacts. It's not a simplistic picture. Even the countries with the very strictest of measures are still locked down in many cases. Don't forget, the UK had amongst the strictest in Europe. In all countries there will be those who bend or break the rules. Its clearly an illness which will be endemic. My point is that we cannot lockdown indefinitely.
Which countries that had the strictest of measure are still locked down?

We have family in Brunei. When they moved there last summer they were tested on arrival and then put into isolation in a hotel room for 2 weeks.
Since then they’ve lived normal lives with no masks, no social distancing and no lockdowns.

We also have family and friends in various parts of Australia. Other than a couple of short lockdowns they’ve mostly lived normal lives.

The Conservative government’s handling of this pandemic has been utterly horrendous. Calamity after calamity. And just when we think the NHS’ rollout of the vaccine will get us back to normal, Johnson manages to mess that up too. Is there nothing that man touches that doesn’t turn to disaster?

“They’re doing their best”
They’ve handled it worst than Trump ffs.....

Gospel

Not a criticism of any posts here but how many of those saying that all restrictions should end now have lost family & loved ones due to Covid?

Also, how many of the posters here have had Covid?

mjh

In terms of the comment above on restrictions, this thread was about the IAW and I firmly believe that particular restriction should be lifted. Your question wasn't at all taken as a criticism as its a reminder that people have suffered terribly in many ways, including family members and loved ones. It's such a polarising topic and so complicated when all things are considered. I hope none of my comments have caused offence. If so, I apologise. I think we all share a common frustration that there's been no season last year and hope that there are better things to come soon.

Hedd Wyn John

The situation is this: we are in the height of summer & we have had record vaccinations. Yesterday we recorded 416 cases across Wales. If Welsh Government thinks that's too high to unlock then we have a problem, if 416 cases is too high to unlock then what happens come winter when cases will probably rise again?

The reality is any amount of unlocking will cause cases to increase (not just covid but other respiratory infections too) and some of those people will sadly die as a result of those infections. But if we cannot unlock now with 416 cases in a country of 3,100,000 then what will Welsh Government do when cases shoot up again come winter?

Locking down to protect the NHS makes perfect sense, but the NHS is nowhere near danger. Keeping lockdown restrictions in order to stop cases rising, taken to its logical conclusion means we cannot fully unlock ever, and that means no ice hockey ever.