IAW bar prices

I get that no one welcomes a price increase and I do think it is maybe a little too steep myself. To Hike the price by a whole £1 isn't very subtle at all!! £4 I could maybe deal with but £4.50 is a bit of a joke.

The reality is though that it's a venue, and you go there to watch a specific thing and the only choice is to buy from the rink. As has been said, it's common at most concerts, football matches, boxing, darts etc. - They all rip you off!!
Plus, knowing how much money the rink was losing you can see why changes like this have been made! Not a popular change, but it only puts them in line with their competitors which is fair enough in my opinion!

I can't understand why people are throwing their toys out of the pram about bottle lids! There's a few reasons for that and it has been standard practise for years at many other events etc. - yes it's a little inconvenient, but that's life!

Some people won't like this, but the reality is that for years we've been getting away with murder In terms of bringing food in, reasonable prices at the bar, limited rules and I've even seen people turn up without a season ticket and begging their way in. Now honestly, could you see any of that happening at the Cardiff City Stadium? That's what you need to ask yourself!

NEWSFLASH!
WE'RE NOT IN A TENT ANYMORE!!!

People saying they won't attend games anymore and stuff like that just because of a price increase at the bar is childish to be honest. With the amount of demand we usually have for tickets, I'm sure Todd would rather people like that didn't come back!

Wouldn't mind if it was £1 increase for a good product but Coors brands aren't great.
Lol yeah Carling is the number 1 beer in the uk ( not just lager) and Coors is number 5, it’s subjective I’m sure most people who want a pint won’t mind and will be safe in the knowledge that Coors are doing their very best for the club and the arena but hey ho

Kevlar68

Lol yeah Carling is the number 1 beer in the uk ( not just lager) and Coors is number 5, it’s subjective I’m sure most people who want a pint won’t mind and will be safe in the knowledge that Coors are doing their very best for the club and the arena but hey ho
Just my opinion and my likes also i've had my own bar for 12 years and not one single customer has ever come in asking for a Coors product, just an observation.

Just my opinion and my likes also i've had my own bar for 12 years and not one single customer has ever come in asking for a Coors product, just an observation.
No problem apart from we are not in Zante we are in Cardiff and in Cardiff and thoughout Wales Coors and Carling are King not opinion just fact

Kevlar68

But thousands of customers over the years the base is 90% British on holiday and they just ask for what they like most of the time, they ask for Carlsberg, Stella, Heineken, Amstel etc which you can get on the island but never a Coors product and i am from Cardiff.

And i'm guessing you work for Coors?

Last edited:

Hedd Wyn John

I get that no one welcomes a price increase and I do think it is maybe a little too steep myself. To Hike the price by a whole £1 isn't very subtle at all!! £4 I could maybe deal with but £4.50 is a bit of a joke.

The reality is though that it's a venue, and you go there to watch a specific thing and the only choice is to buy from the rink. As has been said, it's common at most concerts, football matches, boxing, darts etc. - They all rip you off!!
Plus, knowing how much money the rink was losing you can see why changes like this have been made! Not a popular change, but it only puts them in line with their competitors which is fair enough in my opinion!

I can't understand why people are throwing their toys out of the pram about bottle lids! There's a few reasons for that and it has been standard practise for years at many other events etc. - yes it's a little inconvenient, but that's life!

Some people won't like this, but the reality is that for years we've been getting away with murder In terms of bringing food in, reasonable prices at the bar, limited rules and I've even seen people turn up without a season ticket and begging their way in. Now honestly, could you see any of that happening at the Cardiff City Stadium? That's what you need to ask yourself!

NEWSFLASH!

People saying they won't attend games anymore and stuff like that just because of a price increase at the bar is childish to be honest. With the amount of demand we usually have for tickets, I'm sure Todd would rather people like that didn't come back!
Yeah they remove the lids in places like the Principality stadium as well. Keep old lids and take them in it’s an issue. I’ve done it at the rugby & got a funny look for it.

Sheincar

Yeah they remove the lids in places like the Principality stadium as well. Keep old lids and take them in it’s an issue. I’ve done it at the rugby & got a funny look for it.
They remove the bottle tops at cricket too. I just take old ones too.

I wonder if any thought has been given to the £1 deposit on a "glass" for beer which they also do at cricket now. Return your glass at the end of the game & get your £1 back. Cuts down on rubbish around the rink.

Hedd Wyn John

They remove the bottle tops at cricket too. I just take old ones too.

I wonder if any thought has been given to the £1 deposit on a "glass" for beer which they also do at cricket now. Return your glass at the end of the game & get your £1 back. Cuts down on rubbish around the rink.
I think someone said the licence only allowed plastic cups. but tbh I don’t mind drinking from plastic cups, safety wise I think it’s a good thing.

I don't really have an issue with the prices - it's pretty standard. It's the choice that bugs me. Coors or Carling? I'll pass on the fizzy bread water, thanks. I won't be paying £5 for a pint of "premium lager" - but that's just my personal preference. I think I'll have Guinness from now on!

kingmo19.1

The bottles are daylight robbery. Come on, £4.00 for a 330ml bottle of Corona. You can get 4 for £4.00 most of the time in Tesco's!
Hardly an incentive to have a drink in the IAW.

Kevlar68

The bottles are daylight robbery. Come on, £4.00 for a 330ml bottle of Corona. You can get 4 for £4.00 most of the time in Tesco's!
Hardly an incentive to have a drink in the IAW.
I can see what your saying £4 for a Corona is allot but anywhere is expensive compared to supermarkets so you can't really use that. Now if you said £1.50-£2 in another bar/venue then that's a good comparison

Milky

NEWSFLASH!

Best post I’ve seen in ages! Agree 100%.

Love hockey and love the Devils. Starting to get very bored of the attitude of fans.

Our very successful club is lucky to have a significantly higher playing budget than when it was in the tent. There are a number of factors for this (increased sponsorship, ticket sales to name two) but one of the biggest is that we get the rink rent free.

People seem to forget that. Todd has publicly said on numerous occasions that’s equivalent to 2000/ 2500 ticket sales for every match. For the ones struggling to keep up, in order for us to maintain our spending, if we had to pay rent we would need 5000/5500 crowds every week just to stand still.

Second point is Greenbank are a developer. They build things and sell them, it’s not like they have this huge portfolio of assets that they manage. Running an arena is a completely new thing for them. Don’t forget they were forced to build this rink in order to develop the rest of the land.

It is well known the rink has been making significant losses. That’s down to a shoddy and unrealistic business plan from whoever was originally in charge of the build and running the rink, and poor management decisions since.

The Devils management have now taken over management of the rink. I’m sure someone gets paid for it and so what if they do.

It needs to be run as a business and make a profit otherwise there will be no money for maintenance and eventually it will become run down and close (an all too familiar story with Ice rinks in Cardiff).

If the burgers and chips are more expensive than the processed rubbish we had before then so what. I think getting a franchise in for the food is a great idea. I like the grazing shed and had a burger on Sunday. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

If the alcohol prices have gone up, so what! If that’s the going rate then I think we should count our lucky stars it was underpriced for so long.

Big new shiny buildings come with massive running costs. If your main tenant and user gets the facilities for free do you genuinely think they can undercharge for everything else?

People on here saying they'll never buy a drink again because it’s gone up by a £1! Really???? I think that’s pathetic. If money is an issue, but one less. It shouldn’t spoil your night.

There’s a real sense of entitlement among some fans. ‘It’s always been this way’ is a phrase I hear too often.

1) bottle tops - It’s the law!! Get over it
2) bringing in food - where else can you do that? I’m still amazed people used to bring in picnics.
3) smoking - overheard security having a hard time from a smoker on Sunday because they wanted to smoke outside and not in the designated smoking area because they would end up smelling of smoke. I kid you not.
4) Parking - people are still going on about Morrisons. There’s a post somewhere on here and someone is questioning whether they can enforce things due to GDPR. Look, it’s simple. It’s their private land and they don’t want us parking there. End of. Wilcox house is a short walk and there is plenty of room.
People still park across peoples drives after numerous warnings. One of the idiots who had to move his car on Sunday after Todd announced it on the tannoy got abusive to th Devils staff and said he would park there again next week anyway. I hope he does get towed.

Sorry for the rant but I’m getting bored to death with the sense of entitlement and ignorance from people.

We have a great, successful team and play in a new arena that is the envy of most teams in the league. That comes at a cost.

We all have to pay it. Remember where we have come from.