Giants vs Devils, Thurs 09th 7.15pm. Chat/Updates

Kipper

dave said:
Kip I am not sure how to tell you this.....And I hope you will be ok after the news.....

They have changed the cheerleaders in Newcastle.....

To quote a well known official "It is not worth the trip now"

Cider is available for you to help you recover.
Defo not worth the trip any more.Where's that 'bow.

yesterdays performance was well ground out and we were unlucky... yes VERY unlucky to lose in the last 2 minutes

a midweek game at one of the farthest away teams, the guys had been on the road since 2.30 in the morning and they still managed a respectable 1:0 loss

yes i say respectable - playing against the best defence in the league in their own arena.. oh and they are top of the league!

Clearly you didn't view the match. I just hope Adams and the players don't believe this - because we were just awful !!!
I just hope we never again condemn Hull for their negative tactics as they pinch a result at Cardiff...because we were as negative as any side I have seen in about 15 years watching the Devils. How many times within two minutes did we win a face-off in our defensive zone and immediately throw the puck to the other end for icing....without another Cardiff player touching the puck. Was it 4 times on the run?
Even when without imports there's absolutely no excuse. Did the Bison perform so negatively in Cardiff when they won a few weeks back....and their roster was even more weakened by injuries / suspensions than ours.
And to suggest that in travelling to Belfast, we have , in part, a reason for defeat....is just pathetic. If it were...then how on earth are Belfast top of the League. They have to travel similarly every away match!!
To me our display, whether tactically inspired or not, was spineless, unattractive.......and will never encourage a sports mad public,spoilt for choice to choose ice hockey as a worthwhile option.

Koop11

august04 said:
Koop11 said:
It’s not a great start but remember, we’re the Cardiff Devils. We always lack preparation and fail to hit the ground running. We should all be used to that by now. ;)
Maybe in more recent years but we never used to be like that in years gone by (that I can recall anyway). It's a myth that we've always been slow starters and yet another convenient excuse that's been bandied around this season. We were always a well prepared team in our hey day, with a fair few pre-season friendly games thrown in (plus the Autumn Trophy, Autumn Cup etc), prior to the league campaigns. I know our heady days were a while back but wasn't it supposed to be different this year?
I wasn’t saying it’s an excuse august04. I actually began a thread in the pre season highlighting out lack of preparation in recent years. You look at our Elite League record. The only season we hit the league running was when we had a pre season tour because our rink wasn’t ready. We were right up their in the top teir and the irony was once our rink was ready for home games we lost a feet a little. Hardly a myth is you look back.

Yes during the 90s when we dominated much of hockey we weren’t starting slow. We’re not the super power we once were then and people need to start realising that. We have a long term plan to build to taste the good old days. That isn’t going to happen in one summer. Anyone naïve enough to think that needs to wake up.

schulersagoodun said:
yesterdays performance was well ground out and we were unlucky... yes VERY unlucky to lose in the last 2 minutes

a midweek game at one of the farthest away teams, the guys had been on the road since 2.30 in the morning and they still managed a respectable 1:0 loss

yes i say respectable - playing against the best defence in the league in their own arena.. oh and they are top of the league!

Clearly you didn't view the match. I just hope Adams and the players don't believe this - because we were just awful !!!
I just hope we never again condemn Hull for their negative tactics as they pinch a result at Cardiff...because we were as negative as any side I have seen in about 15 years watching the Devils. How many times within two minutes did we win a face-off in our defensive zone and immediately throw the puck to the other end for icing....without another Cardiff player touching the puck. Was it 4 times on the run?
Even when without imports there's absolutely no excuse. Did the Bison perform so negatively in Cardiff when they won a few weeks back....and their roster was even more weakened by injuries / suspensions than ours.
And to suggest that in travelling to Belfast, we have , in part, a reason for defeat....is just pathetic. If it were...then how on earth are Belfast top of the League. They have to travel similarly every away match!!
To me our display, whether tactically inspired or not, was spineless, unattractive.......and will never encourage a sports mad public,spoilt for choice to choose ice hockey as a worthwhile option.
I have to admit that I didn't watch all of the game, just most of it....(with the sound off) :) :) ;) but what I did see did have a few more positives than the last game I watched here in Cardiff.

I agree that the Hockey was not good to watch, but what the Devils did well was to get the D back together again, they only time they didn't work was when the Giants scored.

I really agree that it wasn't a good performance, but I would rather the team got their defence back together in a far away place. My heart is very disappointed with the game, but my head says that thankfully some things are starting to work. Whether you agree with me about a performance away from home doesn't really matter, the fact that we were less than 2 minutes away from shutting out the league leaders in their own arena proves that we have turned a corner. Tonights Result - Giants 5 Squeelers 2. That should say a lot about how we performed defensively Thursday night, again not pretty hockey I know!

Do you perform at your peak at 9pm after travelling from 2.30 am? not an excuse, just pointing out that some of the travelling arrangements being made are detrimental to Pro sport and also trying to take the whole game scenario in Belfast into consideration. So I don't think it was a pathetic statement

I don't agree that one man makes a team, but having Brad back tomorrow will make a difference to the entertainment factor to our team, he really is Mr Franchise, just ask all the teams who tried to sign him in the closed season. And also He is our captian and inspiration, but as posted elsewhere, I sincerely hope that other players will start to take the initiative to help out in the enforcer role. Pity DC is injured. over to Jarvis & MacIver me thinks....

If newbies are to be attracted to our great sport then the Club are going the right way with the off ice activities, and I do agree that a severely technical and dull game will not be conducive to them wanting more. What sells tickets are franchise players, goals and fights! So again, I am an optimist, we have our franchise player back (albeit slightly restricted - thanks ssihl :cry: :evil: ) and we have stopped leaking goals (hopefully not temporary). So all that we need tomorrow night are a few goals and a little rumble by someone other that Brad. ;) :D

Gazza272

Interesting to see the team who at full strength who wanted to take the game to Belfast the Sheffield Steelers shipped 5 goals in the O this evening against a Giants team who played on thursday.

Makes our result look better.

The Steelers attacked us and that's when we are at our most dangerous. We have loads of speed and guys that are not afraid to shot . Devils held us the other night because you played a great defensive game i think tonight you will have to attack us more in your own barn so we will get more goals against yous tonight.