Giants vs Devils, Thurs 09th 7.15pm. Chat/Updates

Gazza272

No one can blame Aubry for last night, in fact it wsa by far and away his best game. If it werent for him we could have been going into the second period 2 or 3 goals down, top performance. He looked far more assured of himself last night then he has done previously and if he plays like thta for the rest of the season then great!

Last night we had to try and bore our way to a result and we did that very well. I thought we kept the Giants at bay and its probably the best defensive performance we have givne this season. Had we taken the 1 or 2 chances we created then we would have one that game and we definatly deserved a point out of it.

Definalty some encouraging signs there this evening, hopefully with Vother back in the line up sunday we can grab a couple of goals because i do believe we can get a result against the Giants. We are still competing and arent being run over and as long as thats there then there is always the potential to push on.

A

Anonymous

Fubar said:
why oh why do people want Mark Smith back?...his stats for the season he left Cardiff weren't that great and a further season down the line i dont think they are any better :cry: there are bigger and better "Mark Smith's" out there...we just gotta find him!
I would imagine his stats are not as good since he left Cardiff, because he's playing in a higher standard league, where perhaps he's not the star player on the team. Personally, I thought he was one of the best players I've seen in a Devils shirt since day one and formed a great partnership with Birbraer. You don't have to be a genius to understand that's probably why most people want him back. However, it's not going to happen so why worry?!

Finny

El Supremo said:
El Supremo said:
Looks like yet another loss... how many in a row is that now? When will we get a win?
To answer my own question, it's now 6 games in a row that we've lost. When will Adams make changes?
Sorry El, but how on earth did you come up with 6 games in a row?

We lost this game against Belfast.
We lost the last game in OT to Newcastle
We WON the previous game in OT against Basingstoke.

So basically we've lost 2 games in a row.

I didn't watch the game last night so shouldn't really comment but it doesn't stop other people so here we go.
Clearly the problem is Aubry. How dare he concede a goal. One whole goal. Not even half a goal. A whole one. Against the best offence in the league in their own building with the team 3 players down.
Disgrace.

Sack the netminder. Sack the coach. Sack all the players. Sack the fans. Sack the cheerleader. Sack the world.

Kipper

Finny said:
Sack the netminder. Sack the coach. Sack all the players. Sack the fans. Sack the cheerleader. Sack the world.
I agree entirely especially the last bit.The world has lost the plot and should be dismissed forthwith. I would keep the Belfast cheerleaders though. And the Vipers' cheerleaders. :p

dave

Kip I am not sure how to tell you this.....And I hope you will be ok after the news.....

They have changed the cheerleaders in Newcastle.....

To quote a well known official "It is not worth the trip now"

Cider is available for you to help you recover.

Finny said:
El Supremo said:
El Supremo said:
Looks like yet another loss... how many in a row is that now? When will we get a win?
To answer my own question, it's now 6 games in a row that we've lost. When will Adams make changes?

I didn't watch the game last night so shouldn't really comment but it doesn't stop other people so here we go.
Clearly the problem is Aubry. How dare he concede a goal. One whole goal. Not even half a goal. A whole one. Against the best offence in the league in their own building with the team 3 players down.
Disgrace.

I am definitely with you on this one Finny

YES I am an eternal optimist - YES I support the team - but I am not a permanent DEVILS RA RA RA type of person.

BUT

why are we asking to change the team and sack the coach in virtually every post?

yesterdays performance was well ground out and we were unlucky... yes VERY unlucky to lose in the last 2 minutes

a midweek game at one of the farthest away teams, the guys had been on the road since 2.30 in the morning and they still managed a respectable 1:0 loss

yes i say respectable - playing against the best defence in the league in their own arena.. oh and they are top of the league!

this is the first season of a 3 year turn round plan - the management is right and we are building quite well. I'm sure that the hockey will build slowly and I will be more than happy at the end of the season as long as we finish above the Squeelers! ;) :D

that said I sincerely hope that tonights open practice session involve lots and lots of shooting practice.... :)

Reggie Dunlop said:
I am definitely with you on this one Finny

YES I am an eternal optimist - YES I support the team - but I am not a permanent DEVILS RA RA RA type of person.

BUT

why are we asking to change the team and sack the coach in virtually every post?

yesterdays performance was well ground out and we were unlucky... yes VERY unlucky to lose in the last 2 minutes

a midweek game at one of the farthest away teams, the guys had been on the road since 2.30 in the morning and they still managed a respectable 1:0 loss

yes i say respectable - playing against the best defence in the league in their own arena.. oh and they are top of the league!

this is the first season of a 3 year turn round plan - the management is right and we are building quite well. I'm sure that the hockey will build slowly and I will be more than happy at the end of the season as long as we finish above the Squeelers! ;) :D

that said I sincerely hope that tonights open practice session involve lots and lots of shooting practice.... :)
couldn't agree more, i watched the game and think we played well and to hold up the league leaders to a 1-0 loss in their own barn is awesome, I'm always criticizing Aubry as i wouldn't rate him our best keeper but fair play to him he held a solid game last night and we could of easily lost by more than 1, well done devils

Finny said:
El Supremo said:
El Supremo said:

Disgrace.

Where is this magical 6 game losing streak coming from? its even on the match preview now :?

Finny

nmase20 said:
Where is this magical 6 game losing streak coming from? its even on the match preview now :?
Well we can't have all imagined the Basingstoke win - because if we did we would have made it a far more exciting game to watch than it was.

El might be wrong about 6 in a row, but 5 out of 6 is still pretty bad :!:

Last nights result looked more promising - I'm just worried about the 1 goal in 2 hours of play and before the reply of we were imports down, I believe Giants were missing a couple of players as well?

I'd love to say I thought the Devils played really well, but I'm sticking with the Giants played well below the standard they have been so far this season, and I really can't see us getting near them if they are back on form on Sunday. I really hope I'm wrong.

Voth's return will be a major boost and hopefully Campbell with return so Devils can at least get a couple of goals and give them a good game and then build on that for the next few games which look worryingly difficult for the next month - Nottingham twice (one being away), Sheffield away, Manchester away. If the Devils don't improve and at least get results against Edinburgh (twice) in those games, then they could well be bottom 2!?!!?!?!?! Again - I hope I'm wrong.

Gazza272

ledgend777 said:
El might be wrong about 6 in a row, but 5 out of 6 is still pretty bad :!:

Last nights result looked more promising - I'm just worried about the 1 goal in 2 hours of play and before the reply of we were imports down, I believe Giants were missing a couple of players as well?

I'd love to say I thought the Devils played really well, but I'm sticking with the Giants played well below the standard they have been so far this season, and I really can't see us getting near them if they are back on form on Sunday. I really hope I'm wrong.

Voth's return will be a major boost and hopefully Campbell with return so Devils can at least get a couple of goals and give them a good game and then build on that for the next few games which look worryingly difficult for the next month - Nottingham twice (one being away), Sheffield away, Manchester away. If the Devils don't improve and at least get results against Edinburgh (twice) in those games, then they could well be bottom 2!?!!?!?!?! Again - I hope I'm wrong.
Alternitively had we picked up a point last night we would have picked up points in our last three games, so there is a fine line there for my money. And as i said earlier in this thread we are at least competing, we arent just rolling over and dying.

steve

Gazza272 said:
And as i said earlier in this thread we are at least competing, we arent just rolling over and dying.

Got to agree with this. We may be competing really badly, but at least we seem to be trying more. The proof of the pudding will be icing a full roster!

I can completely understand everyones' frustration that there aren't NHL type games every week and there is a distinct lack of goals, and thanks to the Elite League we now cannot see a good old rumble afterwards! :x

It is not conducive to good hockey here in Cardiff to continually criticise Aubrey and call for changes, or to sack the coach. We have an enforced wage cap, a determined business plan and budget set in place before the the first face off. we have made our decisions and must now make them work! I think it would be wrong of G to go cap in hand back to Matt and ask for more money just for the sake of change.

Hockey clubs in the Uk are run very tight and have few staff. G has been pulled in all directions due to the lengthy ongoing saga with the Elite League (I bet Bob couldn't have dreamt how much aggro it would have caused when he instigated all of this)

Now that G is not trying to be a peace negotiator at the UN, it's time to start playing Hockey not politics. Brad is BACK and we may have a replacement for Anderson.

I've got a positive outlook for the next 2 months at least

Koop11

It was a poor game of hockey to watch and both teams were under strength. Going to the top of the league’s barn with 3 influential imports down I thought we were going to be murdered. We held out with 1min 15secs left. Horribly frustrating as we deserved a point but given that nobody expected a win we can’t complain.

Aubs played a solid game. This will boost his confidence and more importantly our defence overall.

Campbell could be out for a while for all we know so G certainly has his work cut out to bring some personal in. I have no doubt G has been working tirelessly to do address the injury problems (I hope this isn’t the start of another crisis). Brad will be back Sunday and that will no doubt help the team no end.

It’s not a great start but remember, we’re the Cardiff Devils. We always lack preparation and fail to hit the ground running. We should all be used to that by now. ;)

A

Anonymous

Koop11 said:
It’s not a great start but remember, we’re the Cardiff Devils. We always lack preparation and fail to hit the ground running. We should all be used to that by now. ;)
Maybe in more recent years but we never used to be like that in years gone by (that I can recall anyway). It's a myth that we've always been slow starters and yet another convenient excuse that's been bandied around this season. We were always a well prepared team in our hey day, with a fair few pre-season friendly games thrown in (plus the Autumn Trophy, Autumn Cup etc), prior to the league campaigns. I know our heady days were a while back but wasn't it supposed to be different this year?