Gerad Adams

Electro

The quickest way to start an argument is to fill a room full of experts.

The owner group, with all due respect to them, have no previous experience of owning an ice hockey club, correct me if I'm wrong, that's why they have a Todd, but there is no guarantee that employing a Todd or any GM is any good for your business, my point being you don't need to be an expert to know when something isn't working and it does not mean not being an expert makes you less qualified to judge more qualified people.

I don't know Lord personally or the relationship between him, Todd and the ownership, bringing in G as a mentor or part of the management team whilst making some form of guarantees to Lord on future roles could work, l don't know G either, so it would need a special relationship to make it work, if all parties where happy it would be a way for Lord to improve whilst possibly keeping the title hopes.

In the real world though, it's dog eat dog.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DevilDom

IF and it's a big IF, Adams does return my money would be at Clan. No doubt, unless Finnerty wins the playoffs and conference (and even that may not be enough) he will have under-achieved in the eyes of the management up there. I could definitely see G at the Clan.

I am with Mooney on this 100%
I said in another thread that I think there is definately a case to sign a top end forward someone that would give us the 'Weller effect' to help us get over the line.
It is my opinion that bringing Gerad Adams back in ANY coaching capacity would undermine Lord and have the opposite effect.
However, I think that the standard of the league has risen so much in the last couple of seasons that a player coach is not the answer for a team with genuine title aspirations, unless an experienced bench coach is also in place. Whatever the question regarding Lord's experience/inexperience or tactics or 'Devils hockey' in general, Adams is NOT the answer.

BostonBart22

I said in another thread that I think there is definately a case to sign a top end forward someone that would give us the 'Weller effect' to help us get over the line.
It is my opinion that bringing Gerad Adams back in ANY coaching capacity would undermine Lord and have the opposite effect.
However, I think that the standard of the league has risen so much in the last couple of seasons that a player coach is not the answer for a team with genuine title aspirations, unless an experienced bench coach is also in place. Whatever the question regarding Lord's experience/inexperience or tactics or 'Devils hockey' in general, Adams is NOT the answer.

Devil_Abroad

Think the owners have always stated their readiness in previous seasons to bring in another player if the Coach and Management deemed the move would help the squad (if such a player becomes available of course). It would certainly help Lord as a bench coach as he would have cover other than himself (probably non Euro passport but you never know).

Would I like to see a high end quality forward come in? Yes please as long as it doesn't rock the dressing room boat.

BostonBart22

cant believe what i been reading ,,almost middle january, top of the lge by 10 points and some fans think lord is not up to it, adams or any other coach coming in now would be a backward step imo.

Paul Sullivan

Put the pitch fork down. No I don't know G. But it's Twitter.
I will if you will. I'm not the guy calling someone I admit to not knowing vain on a platform he has no right of reply on
It's a point of interest to many UK hockey fans (clearly) so him posting it, for many, was welcome. I don't think he cares much of what is said about him online anyway, but you massively misrepresented him, and I just called you on it was all. No pitchfork required.

In fact one could make a case, with the EIHL being so social media bonkers, that it was a very clever way of advertising for free..

My 2p is that UK hockey would be better for having him in it. And in case anyone thinks of putting words in my mouth, I am not suggesting with us, at all.

E.D.S.

Firstly why are people connecting G with Cardiff, secondly the top two teams in the league have player coaches.
Agree with the first point. Think it just undermines Lord. As for the second point, they might be in 1st and 2nd now but they haven't ended up going all the way though, not recently anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

voth26

My 2p worth I'm fine with Lord, few tweaks here and there, but he will get there I have no doubt about that. Will he make mistakes yes he will all part of learning his trade, would I want any other coach from this league or any other for that matter at this present time no I wouldn't. he clearly loves and cares for the Devils. And has been pointed out we sit top of the league above more experienced coaches so he must be doing something right!!. to put in perspective we have lost 8 games and won 23 while the Giants have lost 10 won 20 and steelers lost 9 won 19

Finny

Blimey. Not been on here much lately but I was curious as to why a thread about a former coach was so many pages.

This thread......well it's left me almost speechless. I guess it's another example of how everyone thinks they'd make a better coach than the current guy. You can make a suggestion like "Drop Player X for Player Y" and if it doesn't happen and you lose a game "See - I said we should have made changes. Our coach is too naïve to make this change"
It doesn't matter if we won 10 games straight between the statement being made and the next loss - for that person it is vindication that they were right. The fact that we could have made the change and still lost that game doesn't occur to them. Or even the fact we might have lost even more games. Opinion and self-belief will trump facts every time (no pun intended)

Of course, everyone is entitled to their opinion. And that's what this forum is for. I just feel at times that instead of people giving their opinion and opening it up for debate they are stating their opinion as fact and can't accept that it might be their opinion that is wrong. It would be like someone suggesting Player X had dreadful +/- stats and using that as evidence as to why they should be benched more or even released. They don't have any evidence for it but because it fits in with their argument they state it as fact.

But it also worries me where our fan base is headed. Of course it is only a tiny proportion of the fan base, but it is very vocal.
If top of the league with several points spare is deemed unacceptable, what in the future will be?

terry hunt

Stating the obvious, the teams that hold the top two positions in the league both have player coaches so I'm not sure I buy into the view that you can't play and coach....
What does Stewart do at Belfast then?.He is a top coach in his own right as is Strachan.Andrew Lord has no one of their standard to assist him.

terry hunt

I will if you will. I'm not the guy calling someone I admit to not knowing vain on a platform he has no right of reply on
It's a point of interest to many UK hockey fans (clearly) so him posting it, for many, was welcome. I don't think he cares much of what is said about him online anyway, but you massively misrepresented him, and I just called you on it was all. No pitchfork required.

In fact one could make a case, with the EIHL being so social media bonkers, that it was a very clever way of advertising for free..

My 2p is that UK hockey would be better for having him in it. And in case anyone thinks of putting words in my mouth, I am not suggesting with us, at all.
Dont bite Paul its good to see his name put out so people realise he is still fit and raring to go.Where is another issue.

Gazza272

What does Stewart do at Belfast then?.He is a top coach in his own right as is Strachan.Andrew Lord has no one of their standard to assist him.

Just because Strachan and Stewart have professional playing careers, that doesn't make them instant success as bench coaches, even though i do rate them.

Jamie Elson has done a remarkable job in a number of areas in our team as Lord's right hand man. He also has GB experience, we are very lucky to have him at the club.

Ocko

Just because Strachan and Stewart have professional playing careers, that doesn't make them instant success as bench coaches, even though i do rate them.

Jamie Elson has done a remarkable job in a number of areas in our team as Lord's right hand man. He also has GB experience, we are very lucky to have him at the club.
Exactly. Jamie Elson has earned his right to be a coach at this level. Being a good player doesn't make you a good coach. Look at some of the best coaches in the world; in hockey, Mike Babcock. What did he do as a player to get anywhere near the NHL? Jose Mourinho. Graham Henry. None of them did anything as players.

Jamie Elson was given the role because the team liked what they seen him do in a lesser role and for what he achieved with GB and the juniors. To me that is better than someone who is given the role just because they were a good player.

Electro

Of course, everyone is entitled to their opinion. And that's what this forum is for. I just feel at times that instead of people giving their opinion and opening it up for debate they are stating their opinion as fact and can't accept that it might be their opinion that is wrong. It would be like someone suggesting Player X had dreadful +/- stats and using that as evidence as to why they should be benched more or even released. They don't have any evidence for it but because it fits in with their argument they state it as fact.

But it also worries me where our fan base is headed. Of course it is only a tiny proportion of the fan base, but it is very vocal.
If top of the league with several points spare is deemed unacceptable, what in the future will be?
I'm glad you have accepted that everyone is entitled to an opinion, although I'm disappointed you've chosen to accept that opinion is probably wrong. In fact your actually describing actions your more than guilty of yourself.

But let's not make personal opinion of a poster get in the way of a debate.

Would G make a better coach than Lord, well his CV would support that, it swings the probability his way. But until it happens it's really an unknown, who knows.

I'm not going to repeat my opinion of Lord. If G is returning to U.K. Hockey it's likely he'd be in a team competing with the Devils, with the right budget that would be interesting.

As for our current position, yes it's better than our rivals, is that due to Lords coaching or is it due to more competitive teams with swings in performance between our rivals. I read and listen to fans many are seeing cracks, some see a repeat of the mistakes made in previous years, start strong, games in hand, mess it up at the end. The inferno is a small, if dominant opinionated place with personality of all types, from the passionate to the stubborn from the casual fan to the knowledgeable geeks. Long may it continue, I've not got any worries on the direction our fan base is heading, it's really just an evolution of our past, l guess many want us to win every game without any issue, dead cert wins, stop the tension.

I firmly believe once the Devils achieve that missing achievement, recognition of there work, the investment, opinions will relax and it'll swing to how boring our games are, we never loose.

Finny

Morning Electro! Oh how I've missed your postings of nonsense.

It's often difficult to understand what you've written but after a couple of attempts it appears to be:
The owners have no history of running a hockey club and so we can't really trust them to make the right decisions. They do run multi-million dollar companies - but that's irrelevant.
Todd Kelman has no history of winning the league. Except when he won it several times as a player and a GM. But that's irrelevant.
Andrew Lord won a trophy in each of his two seasons as coach. Which is better than Adams. But that's irrelevant.
We're top of the league and have a winning record against both our nearest rivals. But that's irrelevant.

What they all need to do is listen to you. Someone who doesn't go to games or watch games online and who doesn't know the difference between 'their' and 'there' or "your" and "you're".