Votes: 43 28.9%
  • No

Votes: 106 71.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

august04 2.0

If there is a TV deal in place, then yes I get it. But does anyone really know what’s happening with ViaPlay and whether EIHL games will still be broadcast on there? If just streaming a webcast, then do the numbers really justify it? Not so sure then.

lloyd_jeff

Rebranding to make a logo more media friendly means expanding the fan base, with a limited capacity rink that now is close to capacity, prices will increase with that demand. Season tickets will be the only way to watch live and you’ll be paying premium for that, everyone else will be watching at home.

ASHIPP

Quite sad that Players feel the need to leave Social Media off the back of the negativity surrounding what is only a brand refresh.
This is a shame.. ..unfortunately it distances the connect between fans and the team a bit. And it's often discussed on here how, in the early days of the Club under new ownership, how united fans, club and team were. The Red Army in every sense embarking on one almighty crusade.
Things change. It's a different sort of dynamic since COVID. Everything has a commercial element now and it's really all about sustainability and the next generation.

lloyd_jeff

Can’t help but think that’s a bit strange & overdramatic, how a brand refresh forces players off social media yet them robbing a wage for a yr playing poorly didn’t.

Last edited:

Diafol

If there is a TV deal in place, then yes I get it. But does anyone really know what’s happening with ViaPlay and whether EIHL games will still be broadcast on there? If just streaming a webcast, then do the numbers really justify it? Not so sure then.
Premier Sports deleted all mention of the EIHL from its website last year after the playoffs.
It all went quiet until it suddenly reappeared unexpectedly around August Bank Holiday weekend with the announcement of their TV fixtures for the new season.

Maybe Viaplay will do the same, or even better the EIHL will announce its own streaming service.
I'm not confident of either option TBH.

Hedd Wyn John

Personally I think the organisation should have come up with 3 new logo designs and them allowed the fans to Vote for their favourite. That way fans weren't blindsided about the rebrand crucially they had input.

Last edited:

Mooney#16

This is a shame.. ..unfortunately it distances the connect between fans and the team a bit. And it's often discussed on here how, in the early days of the Club under new ownership, how united fans, club and team were. The Red Army in every sense embarking on one almighty crusade.
Things change. It's a different sort of dynamic since COVID. Everything has a commercial element now and it's really all about sustainability and the next generation.
I think the decline in the connect between club and fans has blame on both sides in fairness and I think the fans may well have started it if we want to see accountability. The problem to debate this is you also have to talk in generalisations which in many instances is unfair to the majority. However what needs to happen is that majority call out the minority when behaviour goes to an extreme and that doesn’t happen enough.

I do think Todd retreating away from open comms with fans has been a bit of a strategic own goal. I fully understand why as no one should have to put up with some things that get said but if you leave a vacuum then negativity will fill it every second of everyday and best way to flush it out is good communication. Have to say I was all for Sanford piping up as he did on twitter. I’m all for the players defending themselves and calling out things that are wrong also. Transfer that fight onto the ice and you have my full support.

Devils fan base is now mature as in years watching hockey and perhaps has moved from learning the game to thinking we fully understand the game and hence opinions are stronger but not always right. I’d really like to see more debate this year even if it includes from players where if fans are talking crap it is challenged and countered.

I still stand by it would be nice if there was perhaps a Devils podcast each week for say 30 mins on a Tuesday where PR and players reviewed recent games and looked ahead to up coming games giving an insight how they are doing and where they are in ‘the process’ of a season which seems to be the latest buzz in sports. Also be another marketing / sponsorship opportunity with with the airtime.

Kevlar68

Thread starter #93
Well the poll is now closed and it ended with a majority landing on the side of dislike.
Of course this is only a majority of members who decided to vote on here when it was open to anyone.

Mooney#16

Most votes also cast very early after the announcement. Be interesting if you restarted it how many have now mellowed. The initial response would always be negative. Give it a week and you perhaps get a more balanced look.

moggy#9

Most votes also cast very early after the announcement. Be interesting if you restarted it how many have now mellowed. The initial response would always be negative. Give it a week and you perhaps get a more balanced look.
Well, my view hasn't changed. I still think that is awful. However I have accepted that it's not going to change, so I have to move on.

moggy#9

I think the decline in the connect between club and fans has blame on both sides in fairness and I think the fans may well have started it if we want to see accountability. The problem to debate this is you also have to talk in generalisations which in many instances is unfair to the majority. However what needs to happen is that majority call out the minority when behaviour goes to an extreme and that doesn’t happen enough.

I do think Todd retreating away from open comms with fans has been a bit of a strategic own goal. I fully understand why as no one should have to put up with some things that get said but if you leave a vacuum then negativity will fill it every second of everyday and best way to flush it out is good communication. Have to say I was all for Sanford piping up as he did on twitter. I’m all for the players defending themselves and calling out things that are wrong also. Transfer that fight onto the ice and you have my full support.

Devils fan base is now mature as in years watching hockey and perhaps has moved from learning the game to thinking we fully understand the game and hence opinions are stronger but not always right. I’d really like to see more debate this year even if it includes from players where if fans are talking crap it is challenged and countered.

I still stand by it would be nice if there was perhaps a Devils podcast each week for say 30 mins on a Tuesday where PR and players reviewed recent games and looked ahead to up coming games giving an insight how they are doing and where they are in ‘the process’ of a season which seems to be the latest buzz in sports. Also be another marketing / sponsorship opportunity with with the airtime.
But, didn't the club try something like that when skalde was coach. It ended up settling into a formula of soft questions and stock answers. What I would enjoy is some insight into aspects of running the club that we don't normally see - the video analysis of games, how the club manages statistics, pre scouting scouting of opposition etc.

Kevlar68

Thread starter #97
But you can say that about any vote. You have to go by what is showing no matter when it was started. I myself didn't like the logo on first viewing and haven't changed my thoughts to this day.
Others may have softened to it but still don't like it, others may have flipped from dislike to like but it is what it is.

Kevlar68

Thread starter #98
And I'd just like to add I have full trust in the Devils Org., I have full confidence in my team, I will still buy horrible beers in the bar, I just won't be buying Devils merch any more.

lloyd_jeff

I think the engagement debate is starting to get a little outta hand and confused. Social Media can be done correctly or incorrectly, if its managed well. It was up until the dreaded COVID, staff have either not been replaced or not implemented back to pre covid days. You can’t take criticism then don’t look for praise, you can’t filter social media, you can manage it, that’s done by being professional and not giving fuel to start a fire. You can’t dictate what is discussed and censor, if you try and then hide, well that’s just adding rocket fuel to the fire.

Last edited:

Mooney#16

I almost agree with you. Especially silence pouring fuel on fires. However I think as always it concerns understanding the line of respectful interaction and outright disrespectful behaviour. When that line is crossed people will either withdraw or fight back.

I think it’s in most hockey players / peoples nature to fight back but that doesn’t sit well when representing a club and so I think the safe option is locking down. It’s not the right option though.

Status
Not open for further replies.