Votes: 43 28.9%
  • No

Votes: 106 71.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

E.D.S.

Do you watch the Devils for the Ice Hockey or the logo?.

I agree the logo isn’t how I would have rebranded it, but I don’t see any of the Devils owners or management losing any sleep over whether I like the new logo. It could be worse - Steelers play in Orange.

I don’t like the price of the merchandise in any event, it doesn’t equate to good value imo, so it won’t matter to me either way, but I watch the Devils for the Ice Hockey not the logo
I don’t see anyone saying they won’t watch the Devils. They just don’t like the logo or how they’ve gone about it.

kingmo19.1

Due to the design, lack of any consultation and the contempt associated with it:-
I wouldn't buy that shirt for £130.
I wouldn't buy that shirt for £130 if I won the lottery!
I wouldn't wear that shirt if you gave it to me for free!
I wouldn't wear that shirt if you gave it to me for free plus £130 !

£130 for a shirt! What planet are the club on? There is a cost of living crisis going on and they expect fans to pay £130 for a totally shit shirt that looks like it's been cobbled together by a 5 year old (no offence to any 5 year olds)!

Somebody is well out of touch with reality at the moment!

Don't think I'll be going anywhere near blind-green-tangerine for any design work!

I think this is the final straw for me, I must be desperate as Cardiff City now looks a whole lot more attractive than the Devils!

Sadly the 'club' has changed, doesn't seem like a 'club' any longer just a machine for sucking money from the fans via whatever means is deemed necessary!

The problem is, Todd has seen money signs when people go crazy at the auctions for Jerseys, yes they are game worn but by doing the £130 jersey, winner winner for the club.

James

Administrator
Sadly the 'club' has changed, doesn't seem like a 'club' any longer just a machine for sucking money from the fans via whatever means is deemed necessary!
In all fairness the club used to be a machine for sucking money. The constant one game jerseys, the bucket campaigns and booster clubs, sponsor a player or we go bust, sponsor a jock strap etc. It's a lot less so now in all fairness.

kingmo19.1

In all fairness the club used to be a machine for sucking money. The constant one game jerseys, the bucket campaigns and booster clubs, sponsor a player or we go bust, sponsor a jock strap etc. It's a lot less so now in all fairness.
Yeah, but now it's more corporate where everything is more expensive across the board.

Have Hope#35

There was also the issue of moving away from stitched to printed jerseys! Now there is an option for both a printed (@£80) and a partially stitched/padded pro jersey and it's still not the correct call. The old stitched jerseys used to sell for £125 so £130 (whilst expensive) isn't a huge leap.

Last edited:
Due to the design, lack of any consultation and the contempt associated with it:-
I wouldn't buy that shirt for £130.
I wouldn't buy that shirt for £130 if I won the lottery!
I wouldn't wear that shirt if you gave it to me for free!
I wouldn't wear that shirt if you gave it to me for free plus £130 !

£130 for a shirt! What planet are the club on? There is a cost of living crisis going on and they expect fans to pay £130 for a totally shit shirt that looks like it's been cobbled together by a 5 year old (no offence to any 5 year olds)!

Somebody is well out of touch with reality at the moment!

Don't think I'll be going anywhere near blind-green-tangerine for any design work!

I think this is the final straw for me, I must be desperate as Cardiff City now looks a whole lot more attractive than the Devils!

£130 was the 'pro' version wasn't it. Fighting strap and all etc

The normal fan version is £80 ish I think.

Kevlar68

Thread starter #48
So can someone clarify for ne:
Pro jersey is stitched £130, fan jersey is printed. From £70 but weren't our old 2019/20 stitched jerseys around the £70 mark?
Also bucket hats? This is definitely a football head gear, again seems a bad choice, caps and bobble hats I get it.

Ocko

Pro jersey is stitched £130, fan jersey is printed. From £70 but weren't our old 2019/20 stitched jerseys around the £70 mark?
Also bucket hats? This is definitely a football head gear, again seems a bad choice, caps and bobble hats I get it.
What’s wrong with bucket hats?

Kevlar68

Thread starter #50
Nothing wrong with them as a hat just I myself have always associated them with football and the 90's never ice hockey.

I am perhaps going to play Devils Advocate here somewhat, not because I believe the logo is necessarily a game changer, but I do understand the change somewhat as I have worked in design for 20+ years and identities /logos are much more simplified in this digital age due to the wider scope that they are now utilised.

This is/was effectively a ‘branding’ refresh exercise, not just a ‘logo’ change. There is a big difference - I know most people already get that. That said, I do feel that perhaps a more subtle progression from the last ‘logo’ (which most, including me, do still love) into a newer, simplified version of itself may have been an easier pill for the devils faithful to digest and retain its existing identity. I also believe presenting the new crest in situ (on a devils shirt worn by Trevor Cox at centre Ice professionally and beautifully photographed) and then posted on Twitter would have provided better appeal from the off with doubters of any refresh. Looking at the logo on some merch it does look strong, in my opinion, but I do get peoples doubts at this early stage especially when the existing logo is now associated with success. It’s a real tough one, I get both sides and not just saying that to keep the peace. Everyone has an opinion and you will never get everyone on board with big change from the offset. Perhaps just the timing of this new release may have been a bit unsettling for most with a couple of unsuccessful seasons on the ice and people wanting that area to be the area of concentration at the mo!

Devils86

Player jerseys are part printed, with sewn on logo, name, number and reinforced shoulders I think, and fight strap

Fan jerseys: Pro - is exactly the same as Player jersey (£130) - so you can now buy a game worn that isn't game worn

Non-pro is fully printed without any reinforcement (£70/80). Actually reflects the move that a load of big football clubs have gone down, with various levels of jersey/shirt being produced. Personally I think it's awful: it's not making a shirt more accessible at a cheaper price when the 'cheap' price is north of £50

Previously we switched from fully sewn to part printed in 19/20. The position before the 19/20 season was that replica jerseys were the same as the game worn (in that they were fully sewn, but didn't have the fight strap or individual player sponsor logo) for £70 and you could pay £40 for adding a sewn name and number.

lloyd_jeff

Why didn’t they think to add Flames and revamp the old logo into it. Then you’ve got the owners who are from Calgary, flames & Devils amalgamated into one logo, that gives both parties a nod of respect. This isn’t science or difficult to do, so it’s got to be either utter incompetence or arrogance.

Attachments

lloyd_jeff

The previous logo was embarrassing. An over complicated mess that looked like Dracula straining on the toilet. I have always hated it, this rebrand is long overdue.
People moaning are just reactionaries who can't cope with change
You’re right in all your comments. What should’ve happen though is a logo that improved on the previous ones and incorporated a new fresh branding suitable for the club. Would you admit this logo has that & is an improvement because to change from one mistake to another is undeniably stupid.

lloyd_jeff

Do you watch the Devils for the Ice Hockey or the logo?.

I agree the logo isn’t how I would have rebranded it, but I don’t see any of the Devils owners or management losing any sleep over whether I like the new logo. It could be worse - Steelers play in Orange.

I don’t like the price of the merchandise in any event, it doesn’t equate to good value imo, so it won’t matter to me either way, but I watch the Devils for the Ice Hockey not the logo
So logo’s are just a pointless waste of time & money. That’s not quite how the world works, branding and brand identity are crucial, just ask any business advisor or investor.

So logo’s are just a pointless waste of time & money. That’s not quite how the world works, branding and brand identity are crucial, just ask any business advisor or investor.
Struggling to find where in my post that logos are a pointless waste of time and money.

I have plenty of business experience to know the importance of brand and marketing thank you - ok I get it you don’t like the new logo - That’s fair, you are perfectly entitles to express your opinion, but as an existing Devils fan, I guess logos aren’t as important to me as the reason why I watch the Devils in the first instance (and it wasn’t the logo)

lloyd_jeff

Struggling to find where in my post that logos are a pointless waste of time and money.

I have plenty of business experience to know the importance of brand and marketing thank you - ok I get it you don’t like the new logo - That’s fair, you are perfectly entitles to express your opinion, but as an existing Devils fan, I guess logos aren’t as important to me as the reason why I watch the Devils in the first instance (and it wasn’t the logo)
You asked “do you watch the Devils for the ice hockey or logo” whilst you never specifically stated it, you clearly insinuated it with that question.

So you are aware on how important getting it right is then and how it’s used to promote.

I never went to my first game because of the logo, in fact up until l walked through the door I’d never heard of ice hockey. l went because friends went, l got hooked and further friends got introduced, one of which still works for the Devils. It was the ideal start to a night out & if it wasn’t for the “weird looking shirts” as my OH described being worn by those friends my partner wouldn’t have noticed me. Luckily the logo in the early 90’s was pretty well designed. That’s not to say that others place the same unimportance to the logo though, maybe it does draw people, you certainly wouldn’t buy merchandise that isn’t well branded, that may impact future curious people to come from outside Cardiff to a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.