Votes: 43 28.9%
  • No

Votes: 106 71.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

lloyd_jeff

I remember the WNIR pre plexi, having stood behind those green nets for several yrs, listening to our players and visiting teams getting all sorts of verbal abuse, not limited to just fans, you could also hear the players to each other whilst being held against the boards. I don’t follow any players on social media, I’ve no idea what has been said or to whom, l would urge perspective and suggest treating the whole fan base for what is probably a very small number of pond life isn’t the best move forward. Tools are in place on platforms to limit access to strangers and prevent direct abuse.

E.D.S.

It's pretty clear what the vote says. Almost 150 people voted. Is it every fan? No. Does that mean those who don't like the logo are right? No. Does that mean the owners are wrong? No but what I'm getting tired of are the idiots on twitter. I read some daft article on Twitter by Chasing The Puck. Incredibly short sighted. "Pointing to a stubborn disapproval of change", "an arrogant entitled mentality of some" and how the reputation of the club is being brought down. Here's the irony of all of this... it's inaccurate and poorly written articles like that, that bring the reputation of the club down. My reason for that is simple... The Inferno is a place for fans of the Devils to talk about the Devils. End of. It's the mindless idiots in the pursuit of likes for their own superficial gains that take these views and splash them all over social media, exposing posts and views to a wider audience that only belong, and were intended, to stay on the Inferno.

If I choose to write on the Inferno "X player sucks" or "the new logo looks like it's been drawn by a 5 year old"... I haven't written that on social media for anyone to see. I've written that here. Now some may think that I need to take responsibility for what I write on here as it could go out in to the 'big wide web' but what is more damaging is an article posted on line citing Devils fans as "entitled" and "arrogant" and the people in pursuit of likes that decided to posts daft statements, on line, blowing out of all proportion what is being written here. I include the players and owners in this. Seriously get a grip!

Knowing how players goad each other, hearing what they shout at one another on the ice and in the penalty box, knowing how crass and personal that language is and how it's designed to hurt and have an impact...but none of that seemingly, has that same impact that an anonymous, ill educated, moron writing a crappy post on social media or on here does. That, apparently, is too much for them to handle - I'm not referring to Bowns in this as his sounded particularly personal so coming off social media is a sensible choice if his mental health is in question - but fans expressing a view about a logo and more pressingly for me, how it was handled is being held up as the most appalling crime against this club, it's owners and it's players in the history of hockey. For me that shows naivety from the players and owners. If they think a group of fans should simply "get over" the fact a logo has changed and how "it's setting a bad first impression for new players" then it simply tells me that they don't 'get the badge', the history and the importance of it and why would they? Most players will only be here for a couple of years so it's just another pay day. It's ok to have that view, but I don't need you going on social media to tell me I'm brining the reputation of this club down.

I don't like the logo. I don't lose sleep over it. I don't cry every time I see it. I'm ok.

I'm not entitled. The only thing I'm entitled to do, providing I play by the forum rules, is express an opinion on here. If you disagree, comment, if you don't like me, block me but I'm not taking to social media to post my view so why are you? When I say you, I mean the 'I need likes' brigade"... "the Inferno is in meltdown"...."I'm embarrassed to be a Devils fan"...."wish I could say I'm surprise by the negativity" (posted by a current player)... my favourite recent one "if players are seeing the toxic culture some are spreading then how does it make us look to new players"... here's an idea... don't post that stupid tweet and no one will know. You're helping promote and spread it. You've given it air time and the platform, you absolute clown! By posting what you posted creates the very thing you've said hurts the organisation but I think they got a few likes so it's ok. Sigh!

Rant over. The logo still sucks, the way it was handled sucks, I'll still be there week in week out but don't go pointing the finger at this forum or the majority of posters on here. If you don't like it don't come on here. If players can't handle what's written on here then don't look (and may be find another career where no one says bad things. Good luck with that).

Last edited:

RedDevil17

It's pretty clear what the vote says. Almost 150 people voted. Is it every fan? No. Does that mean those who don't like the logo are right? No. Does that mean the owners are wrong? No but what I'm getting tired of are the idiots on twitter. I read some daft article on Twitter by Chasing The Puck. Incredibly short sighted. "Pointing to a stubborn disapproval of change", "an arrogant entitled mentality of some" and how the reputation of the club is being brought down. Here's the irony of all of this... it's inaccurate and poorly written articles like that, that bring the reputation of the club down. My reason for that is simple... The Inferno is a place for fans of the Devils to talk about the Devils. End of. It's the mindless idiots in the pursuit of likes for their own superficial gains that take these views and splash them all over social media and exposing posts and views to a wider audience that only belong, and we're intended to stay on the Inferno.

If I choose to write on the Inferno "X player sucks" or "the new logo looks like it's been drawn by a 5 year old"... I haven't written that on social media for anyone see. I've written that here. Now some may think that I need to take responsibility for what I write on here as it could go out in to the 'big wide web' but what is more damaging is an article posted on line citing Devils fans as "entitled" and "arrogant" and the people in pursuit of likes that decided to posts daft statements on line blowing out of proportion what is being written here. I include the players and owners in this. Seriously get a grip!

Knowing how players goad each other, hearing what they shout at one another on the ice and in the penalty box, knowing how crass and personal that language is and how it's designed to hurt and have an impact...but none of that seemingly, has that same impact that an anonymous, ill educated, moron writing a crappy post on Social Media or on here does. That apparently is too much for them to handle - I'm not referring to Bowns in this as his sounded particularly personal so coming off social media is a sensible choice if his mental health is in question - but fans expressing a view about a logo and more pressingly for me, how it was handled is being held up as the most appalling crime against this club, it's owners and it's players in the history of hockey. For me that shows naivety from the players and owners. If they think a group of fans should simply "get over" the fact a logo has changed and how "it's setting a bad first impression for new players" then it simply tells me that they don't 'get the badge', the history and the importance of it and why would they? Most players will only be here for a couple of years so it's just another pay day. It's ok to have that view, but I don't need you going on social media to tell me I'm brining the reputation of this club down. I don't like the logo. I don't lose sleep over it. I don't cry every time I see it. I'm ok.

I'm not entitled. The only thing I'm entitled to do, providing I play by the forum rules, is express an opinion on here. If you disagree, comment, if you don't like me, block me but I'm not taking to social media to post my view so why are you? When I say you, I mean the 'I need likes' brigade"... "the Inferno is in meltdown"...."I'm embarrassed to be a Devils fan"...."wish I could say I'm surprise by the negativity" (posted by a current player)... my favourite recent one "if players are seeing the toxic culture some are spreading then how does it make us look to new players"... here's an idea... don't post that stupid tweet and no one will know. You're helping promote and spread it. You've given it air time and the platform, you absolute clown! By posting what you posted creates the very thing you've said hurts the organisation but I think they got a few likes so it's ok. Sigh!

Rant over. The logo still sucks, the way it was handled sucks, I'll still be there week in week out but don't go pointing the finger at this Forum or the majority of posters on here. If you don't like it don't come on here. If players can't handle what's written on here then don't look (and may be find another career where no one says bad things. Good luck with that).
Spot on, would like this post again if I could.

Hedd Wyn John

It's pretty clear what the vote says. Almost 150 people voted. Is it every fan? No. Does that mean those who don't like the logo are right? No. Does that mean the owners are wrong? No but what I'm getting tired of are the idiots on twitter. I read some daft article on Twitter by Chasing The Puck. Incredibly short sighted. "Pointing to a stubborn disapproval of change", "an arrogant entitled mentality of some" and how the reputation of the club is being brought down. Here's the irony of all of this... it's inaccurate and poorly written articles like that, that bring the reputation of the club down. My reason for that is simple... The Inferno is a place for fans of the Devils to talk about the Devils. End of. It's the mindless idiots in the pursuit of likes for their own superficial gains that take these views and splash them all over social media, exposing posts and views to a wider audience that only belong, and were intended, to stay on the Inferno.

If I choose to write on the Inferno "X player sucks" or "the new logo looks like it's been drawn by a 5 year old"... I haven't written that on social media for anyone see. I've written that here. Now some may think that I need to take responsibility for what I write on here as it could go out in to the 'big wide web' but what is more damaging is an article posted on line citing Devils fans as "entitled" and "arrogant" and the people in pursuit of likes that decided to posts daft statements, on line, blowing out of all proportion what is being written here. I include the players and owners in this. Seriously get a grip!

Knowing how players goad each other, hearing what they shout at one another on the ice and in the penalty box, knowing how crass and personal that language is and how it's designed to hurt and have an impact...but none of that seemingly, has that same impact that an anonymous, ill educated, moron writing a crappy post on social media or on here does. That, apparently, is too much for them to handle - I'm not referring to Bowns in this as his sounded particularly personal so coming off social media is a sensible choice if his mental health is in question - but fans expressing a view about a logo and more pressingly for me, how it was handled is being held up as the most appalling crime against this club, it's owners and it's players in the history of hockey. For me that shows naivety from the players and owners. If they think a group of fans should simply "get over" the fact a logo has changed and how "it's setting a bad first impression for new players" then it simply tells me that they don't 'get the badge', the history and the importance of it and why would they? Most players will only be here for a couple of years so it's just another pay day. It's ok to have that view, but I don't need you going on social media to tell me I'm brining the reputation of this club down.

I don't like the logo. I don't lose sleep over it. I don't cry every time I see it. I'm ok.

Rant over. The logo still sucks, the way it was handled sucks, I'll still be there week in week out but don't go pointing the finger at this forum or the majority of posters on here. If you don't like it don't come on here. If players can't handle what's written on here then don't look (and may be find another career where no one says bad things. Good luck with that).
Hear hear, well said.

I love listening to 2 Ales and hockey Tales with Wally and Joey Martin was on there & I think there was some criticism of the fan response on social media to the rebranding but even they sounded really luke-warm about the new logo. It Almost felt like they felt obligated to defend it.

Players going on social media to criticise is fine but they must remember- the fans are only criticising the rebranding out of love for the team, we aren't criticising the players for the logo. We know its got nothing to do with the players. If players might think twice about coming to Cardiff because there's social media criticism of controversial club decisions then they'd struggle to go to any other club as fans in every club have criticised something or other their organisation has done over the years.

Once again the inferno has taken flak from some on twitter for a poll showing 70% on here don't like the logo. Apparently everyone on here is negative and criticising the logo or club rebranding decision is being negative but actually a similar poll is running on twitter which last I checked had 16% loving the new logo 44% hating it & 40% didn't care. I think their poll having a 3rd choice muddies the water slightly but that does indicate the new logo has not gone down well on twitter so its not just an inferno thing. There's an element around the club who can't take any criticism of club decisions and try to dismiss legitimate concerns as being unrepresentative or just negative fans. You can tell they aren't hugely enamoured with the logo themselves as their praise for it is notable for being weak or absent, but of course they are more interested in attacking people with honestly held opinions. In order for an organisation to be success it must be able to accept honest feedback. Supporters who think that pretending all club decisions are great and that fans should keep quiet if they disagree with a club decision have got it wrong. I understand why they do it, they come from a good place.
They think defending the club to the hilt is how you support and strengthen it. They think criticism damages and weakens the club and team but they are wrong. In the long run that is harmful to the organisation, because it means bad decisions don't get challenged.

A rebranding is a huge exercise for any business, if done right it can be hugely beneficial and if done badly it can be hugely detrimental. Anyone who knows me will know that I'm very positive about how the management runs the club. We would definitely not be where we are without the great management we've had these last few years. However I'm also honest, I call a spade a spade and I don't blow smoke up people and I've criticised the club before when I think it's got things wrong.

I think the organisation has made a mistake here. There should have been some form of fan consultation on this rebranding & granted not everyone would have been happy but I think the outcome of this situation has been poor & even the clubs most ardent defenders are damning the rebranding with faint praise.

I hope it doesn't negatively impact the organisation or team. It looks like the logo is here to stay. We just need to all get behind the team but never be afraid of expressing your honestly held views.

august04 2.0

If I choose to write on the Inferno "X player sucks" or "the new logo looks like it's been drawn by a 5 year old"... I haven't written that on social media for anyone see. I've written that here. Now some may think that I need to take responsibility for what I write on here as it could go out in to the 'big wide web' but what is more damaging is an article posted on line citing Devils fans as "entitled" and "arrogant" and the people in pursuit of likes that decided to posts daft statements, on line, blowing out of all proportion what is being written here. I include the players and owners in this. Seriously get a grip!

Absolutely spot on. No wonder the team went into hiding last season when the going got tough. If players are that offended with what the majority of fans are saying about this logo change and suggesting how it will affect the new players, then God help us again this season. How does Cole Sanford know what that logo means to the Devils fan base, he’s only been here a couple of years. Tweets like that are ill judged in my opinion, and it’s a slippery slope when players start criticising their own fan base. Probably best to let their play on the ice do the talking. Oh and any player who is put off playing here because of the inevitable and expected fan reaction to a logo change really shouldn’t be a Cardiff Devil in the first place.

lloyd_jeff

The whole player contacting owners comment frankly should’ve stayed between themselves, putting that out isn’t going to quell criticism. I’m assuming it happened, because it was mentioned then it will be discussed. Players I’m assuming understand their role & that isn’t to criticise fans for having an opinion, their role is defined in their contract, turn up and play until moved on. That comment in my opinion is far more damaging than the logo design. As for Cole Sanford, l’d suggest he put all his energy onto the ice, maybe he’d get a multi million dollar shot in the show……

doron

I have no issue with what Cole Sanford said. Many fans in Cardiff are excessively negative. Not balanced but outright negative. It is what it is but he was right.
there have been a lot to be negative about lately. last season a lack of effort from some players maybe part to-do with the coach that was not working out, and now the logo this season. for me this is not negativity . it is caring about things that are going wrong

Mooney#16

The whole player contacting owners comment frankly should’ve stayed between themselves, putting that out isn’t going to quell criticism. I’m assuming it happened, because it was mentioned then it will be discussed. Players I’m assuming understand their role & that isn’t to criticise fans for having an opinion, their role is defined in their contract, turn up and play until moved on. That comment in my opinion is far more damaging than the logo design. As for Cole Sanford, l’d suggest he put all his energy onto the ice, maybe he’d get a multi million dollar shot in the show……
If you are getting triggered by a player having an opinion it will tell you all you need to know about which sort of fan you are and whether he was talking about you or not.

E.D.S.

there have been a lot to be negative about lately. last season a lack of effort from some players maybe part to-do with the coach that was not working out, and now the logo this season. for me this is not negativity . it is caring about things that are going wrong
Absolutely. I don't know what the expectation is for fans here. Players underperformed last season, the coach underperformed last season, we weren't a league challenging team, the standard of hockey was woeful and the effort levels were even worse and we were supposed to say "well done" whilst all this was going on and then another "well done" at the end of the season? That's not reality.

I just can't help but think that labels like "entitled" very quickly get thrown this way when you question or express disapproval on a forum with other Devils fans but it is the players and owners who don't like it, call us out on it and say daft things like "we want 1st line players on a 3rd line" but we are the "entitled" ones. It just seems perverse to me.

jenks33

To be fair i don't think the negativity from our fanbase is any worse than Sheffield or Belfast fans, we are all as bad as each other when our teams aren't winning. I remember Belfast finishing 5th in the 2017/18 season and Sheffield finishing 7th the following season and from a Devils point of view it was brilliant to see the meltdown on their Twitter/Forums. I know some fans will call it entitled/spoilt but in every sport and in every pro league around the world the teams with the most money/expectations will receive flak from their fanbase if they've had one or two poor seasons. Let's be honest we haven't got much right post covid so fans are going to vent their feelings on a forum.

Regarding the logo it doesn't bother me too much. I don't think it was necessary and i don't particularly like it but as long as they don't change the name or the colours i can live with it. As others have said what did surprise me was how out of the blue it was. Clearly the owners and Todd don't have to consult with fans on these matters but we've become accustomed to our owners making correct/popular decisions and it did surprise me this wasn't brought up a while ago. When the dust has settled (whenever that is) i'll be surprised if the owners dont think to themselves "what we could have done was told the fans 6/12 months beforehand that the logo is going to be changed and we've come up with these 4 options which the fans can vote on". Personally i think that would have been a more sensible way of doing it. Considering we had that logo for 26 years i think it could have been handled better.

Last edited:

moggy#9

The thing about most online hockey journalism is that... Well, it's sometimes not really journalism. It's just self published opinion. If, in the days when I held a devils press pass, I'd submitted some of the rubbish that I see online, I know what my editor would have said. Even for my modest contributions I had accountability. A lot of online content simply doesn't.

Some might disagree, but I consider the inferno to be a bit like a post game conversation with friends in Gretzky's. You soon get the measure as to whether people are worth listening to (some might consider me someone not worth listening to, but that's fine). Twitter on the other hand is more like screaming abuse at people in the middle of Caroline Street after that heavy night in Gretzky's. It's far less measured and much more difficult to avoid.

Kevlar68

Thread starter #117
That's what i miss is that conversation after games like i used to hear in Gretzkys as i walked around (That's if i could get past Glynn by the fruit machine by bar door :D) . The bar felt warm, inviting, comfortable and people could relax and talk of the game they'd just witnessed and watch the game again on the TV's in the bar.
Sometimes they would be heated debates but not nasty, about players, tactics etc. Then there would be others who were just socializing not even talking about hockey. Some fans would stick to their little click others would go from fan to fan.
The players would come up after their food in the cafe and mingle amongst supporters taking stick for having a crap game or getting praise for having a good game but the players took it, some would agree with the comments good or bad others would just ignore the bad comments with a "yeah, yeah, yeah, thanks" but they faced up to it.
The arena bar has none of that, it's soulless no matter how many devils pics you put up, most people have a quick after game drink and off they go, i was having to tip people out of their seats sometimes to get them to go home (all in good humour of course).

Last edited:

moggy#9

That's what i miss is that conversation after games like i used to hear in Gretzkys as i walked around. The bar felt warm, inviting, comfortable and people could relax and talk of the game they'd just witnessed.
Sometimes they would be heated debates but not nasty about players, tactics etc. Then there would be others who were just socializing not even talking about hockey. Some fans would stick to their little click others would go from fan to fan.
The players would come up after their food in the cafe and mingle amongst supporters taking stick for having a crap game or getting praise for having a good game but the players took it, some would agree with the comments good or bad others would just ignore the bad comments with a "yeah, yeah, yeah, thanks" but they faced up to it.
The arena bar has none of that, most people have a quick after game drink and off they go, i was having to tip people out of their seats sometimes to get them to go home (all in good humour of course).
And the cherry on the cake was Caroline Street afterwards, or if it was a massive game, maybe a trip to the Taurus. I miss those days so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.