Devils vs steelers - 6 Mar 20 - League

pjj365

I think the extra CHL spot opened up via the continental cup. A team Kazakhstan team won in 2018-19 but they couldn't take up the CHL spot so that went to second place Belfast. That in turn meant the EIHL place went to runner up Cardiff.

The further knock on effect meant Cardiff didn't take up their Continental Cup spot from the Play-offs. The next in line for Continental Cup would have been the Challenge Cup winner, but they'd already qualified for CHL. Next in line was league runner up, but they'd already qualified for CHL so it fell to league 3rd place. It was a tangled web.

https://www.eliteleague.co.uk/european-qualification
Thanks for the clarification

Glad I'm not required to make sense, or plan, for this!

This thread is about us v them not CHL things. Let’s get back on track.
True... just trying to work out what's at stake this weekend.

Cup win would be nice in its own right, but wouldn't necessarily be a route to anything else. A league win on Friday would be a big help for the EIHL campaign but theres still hope even if they lose. IF it was an either / or choice I'd take the cup win.

Last edited:
Thread starter #25
Wannabe2 said:

This thread is about us v them not CHL things. Let’s get back on track.

I'll bring it back on track and answer my own question.

If we could only win one, I would take the Cup on Sunday. That gives us the first definite trophy.
Losing Friday would not make it impossible to win the league as the run in will see both teams drop points. So still a possible second trophy.
Conversely losing Sunday would mean no Cup trophy and a win on Friday will still not guarantee a league trophy as the run in still problematic. So a possibility of no trophies.

kingmo19.1

Anyway, enough of this pessimism, I reckon we're going to win on Friday and Sunday. We're at home, let's make that count.

If we win both that would be a monsterous blow to the Steelers that they may not recover from.

How nice would that be - Monday morning, top of the league and a cup for Todd to polish!

voth26

may not be the right place to ask but, am I right in thinking we have 9 games left and we have to win 7 of them to win the league??

Kevin roog

Win our 5 at home and Glasgow away and we are champs. Sheffield couldn’t then catch us and panthers could only draw level and I think we would win on regulation wins

The_Puck

may not be the right place to ask but, am I right in thinking we have 9 games left and we have to win 7 of them to win the league??
Yes that’s right, however, if one of those wins are against Sheffield then we can win 1 less game to win the league as your question is barring in mind that Sheffield win all their remaining games