Devils Vs Nomad Astana - Conti Cup - 17th Nov 23 - FO 16:00 (15:00 UK)

Devil94

Honesty you’re boring me one of the Bowns lovers and he carnt do anything wrong ! Everyone entitled to an opinion so cool beans ! We clearly see things different want to get into an argument no problem.
Sorry my mistake, I thought this site was to discuss hockey.

Talk about boring, you seem to only post about one thing on here, blame Ben when we lose. When we win you go all quiet.

I do stick up for players when I think there are unfair comments about them. They get enough stick as it is, without all the unnecessary blinkered comments. And for some reason nobody gets more than Ben Bowns. He's the most successful Devil goalie of all time, he's been superb this year with his stats so far this year better than any other year with us.

Tonight wasn't his best game for us, but he didn't have a shocker. He wasn't the reason we lost tonight. So when you single him out and I disagree I'm going to challenge your opinion, hoping for a reasoned argument as reply. But it seems like you don't like your views being challenged.

Sorry my mistake, I thought this site was to discuss hockey.

Talk about boring, you seem to only post about one thing on here, blame Ben when we lose. When we win you go all quiet.

I do stick up for players when I think there are unfair comments about them. They get enough stick as it is, without all the unnecessary blinkered comments. And for some reason nobody gets more than Ben Bowns. He's the most successful Devil goalie of all time, he's been superb this year with his stats so far this year better than any other year with us.

Tonight wasn't his best game for us, but he didn't have a shocker. He wasn't the reason we lost tonight. So when you single him out and I disagree I'm going to challenge your opinion, hoping for a reasoned argument as reply. But it seems like you don't like your views being challenged.
Only come on here and blame him clearly don’t read most of my posts then , I have clearly singled batch out tonight too ! And there is a few players that are under preforming on that team cox is one no where near good enough ! Martin yes all round game good but not the player he normaly is , barrow quite now after his knock , Waller quick and skill full but that’s about it , Duggan piss poor dosent bring anything to the table , not a bad season and not bad results early days ! What’s your name by the way ?

august04 2.0

I think we totally underestimated this team and paid the ultimate price. I hope we learn a lesson from this, and cut down on the embarrassing and totally disrespectful social media which I saw beforehand. The club acted like a bunch of big time charlies in the build up to this game. Which idiot put that video out today about the players not knowing who they were playing? Talk about red rag to a bull. Let’s be a bit more humble, respect our opponents and play hard.

Wannabe2

Only come on here and blame him clearly don’t read most of my posts then , I have clearly singled batch out tonight too ! And there is a few players that are under preforming on that team cox is one no where near good enough ! Martin yes all round game good but not the player he normaly is , barrow quite now after his knock , Waller quick and skill full but that’s about it , Duggan piss poor dosent bring anything to the table , not a bad season and not bad results early days ! What’s your name by the way ?
That’s a better viewpoint mate, I know you and you are a good guy with a huge passion for the Devils. Some times we as I am also guilty of caring too much sometimes and it’s not always helpful. But caring too much is better than not caring at all, it just means we can be too outspoken at times. Anyway always good to read your posts buddy.

Khazak teams are historically very strong in the conti cup in the last few years. Didn’t they win it in Belfast a few years back? Probably would have won it last year as well if they hadn’t pulled out of the second round due to visa issues when we hosted.

I thought this would be our toughest game on paper but made the mistake of looking at the betting this morning and saw that the Devils were 1/6 Favourites to win today. I thought the bookies obviously know more than me and massively shifted my expectations towards a comfortable Devils win.

I think that makes it all the harder to swallow that result.

Devil94

Wow that's a lot of players playing poorly considering we have won 9 lost 1 in our last 10 domestic games.

moggy#9

I think we totally underestimated this team and paid the ultimate price. I hope we learn a lesson from this, and cut down on the embarrassing and totally disrespectful social media which I saw beforehand. The club acted like a bunch of big time charlies in the build up to this game. Which idiot put that video out today about the players not knowing who they were playing? Talk about red rag to a bull. Let’s be a bit more humble, respect our opponents and play hard.
Whilst the club should frankly be embarrassed by it's social media output, let's not forget the player's part in this. Their preparation should involve knowing who they're playing, the opponents strengths and weaknesses and who the danger players are.

Frankly I hope that PR went ballistic with them after that shit show.

Nomad are a decent team and they deservedly won that game but we had that team on the ropes for 16 mins of the 1st period and the only Ozone time they had was when they were on the PP.
But we wasted at least 3 grade A chances if not more and we let them off the hook time and time again.
Our 2nd period was a car crash and the 3rd not much better, but the thing that really shocked me was the number of totally anonymous players we had on the ice.

When PR was announced as the coach the one thing I thought I’d seen the last of was seemingly unprepared team performances and inept or shambolic defensive play but alas no!
Too many players not contributing will ultimately hold this team back again if not addressed. Reputations count for nothing, you’re only as good as your last game and a good fistful of players haven’t performed anywhere near the level they need to be at!

Nothing less than two regulation wins are now required to have any chance of progressing, I hope PR is reading the riot act and we rescue this weekend, not least for the many travelling supporters.

BostonBart22

Everyone blaming bowns and defence , but its forwards who score goalsl and didn't produce enough tonight, some were just coasting tonight , as if it was a Holly jolly weekend , feel sorry for all those fans that turned up when money is tight to see today's effort, it's as if because they beat belfast they can coast the rest of season out, need 2 wins now to scrape through but can't see it with players attitudes before and during the game , need to improve and use the other 75% we didn't put in today

Rempel16

Just to be clear, is the Batch criticism based on that goal condeded that he was on the ice for?

If so, it happened right in front of the Devils fans, it was not Batch’s fault. It was Crawford.

The Devils didn’t play badly today. They were very complacent in the first period. By the second they realised they were in a game. Had Arniel’s shot gone in the net in the first period we’d have won that comfortably in my view.

It was a decent game and Nomad deserve a lot of credit. We should still qualify comfortably. Grenoble have Kyle Hardy (formerly of Panthers) as their top d-man…. That should tell you their level.

Win tomorrow and Sunday, job done.

E.D.S.

Bowns wasn't the reason we lost last night, far from it. No doubt that Wall will start the next game and even if we win that you can't say the we won it because of Wall. Whilst Bowns will always want a goal or too back, every goalie will, he made some outstanding saves. Why did he have to make those saves? Because we didn't work hard enough on D. Batch for the 1st two periods looked solid. I watched the game from a totally different seat to where I usually sit. I was down at ice level. He blocked everything, was positionally solid and constantly took responsibility but.... it's Batch. He's not in the NHL, he does make mistakes and he did but.... no more than anyone else.

We dominated that team today. We should never have lost. I still don't know how we did. We had chance after chance. The 1st line needs to be split again. Joey and Cox, right now aren't justifying their positions or the faith being shown in them, Waller needs to bring a lot more that just graceful skating, he just glides into the Ozone and then they glide out with the puck. The Davies line worked hard but you don't want that line being the standout line. Brandt was quiet for me. The more I watch this team the more I see the need for them to play with a chip on their shoulder. When Alderson came out hard and hit everything we were on top and dominated. The team of kids hated it but we didn't maintain that intensity.

Bottom line for me... split up the first line. Bring the intensity back and for the love of god forgive Chad for whatever he's done and let him have a shift at the start of each period with Brandt and Alderson.

From what I saw last night the home team are the biggest risk. Yes I know they lost but they looked nervous. I don't see that happening today. Two wins from two is definitely doable, and so would be two 'good' wins. We do have it in our locker to completely over power what I saw yesterday. Consistency and intensity will be key to that.

As an aside.... ever watch a game near the owners? Whatever has been thrown at them with regards to last season and the logo, there is no denying their love for this club. They live every hit, every goal conceded and every poor decision. Love that passion.

Finny

Wasn’t able to watch this game so can’t comment on how we played as a team or individually.

But….several posters are really showing themselves up with some horrendous ignorance. And to make it worse they are being arrogant because they think they know it all.

Who was it that said Nomad were the equivalent of Telford Tigers? Blimey.
Last time I checked Telford have never finished Runners-Up in this tournament. But Nomad did the last time they qualified in 2017-18. They even beat a certain Sheffield Steelers 5-1 to do so.
That was the second successive year a Kazak team had finished Runners-Up. The following year a Kazak team won the title in Belfast. And that was against the Giants team who pipped us to the league title.

In fact, a Kazak team has finished in the top 2 for 4 of the last 5 tournaments they’ve played in.

I said before the tournament that the draw hadn’t been kind to us and was going to be much tougher than last year.

Anyone who thinks that Nomad weren’t one of the pre-season tournaments obviously hasn’t done their research. I was actually quite impressed by the reports that we could have beaten them if we’d taken our early chances.