Devils Vs Clan - CC 1/4 Final - 13th Dec 23 - 19:30 FO

BostonBart22

Big loss game, big loss cash revenue for the potential semi final in excess 60 grand of tkts, food, drink, that money could've gone towards the budget of a few better players for next season to replace the ones that are not giving 100% those 2 games v Sheffield coming up are crucial to our season 2 wins great.. 2 losses bye bye to lge I'm afraid so come on devils regroup after last night abysmal display and play for your wages. Just saying

Mooney#16

I do agree with the sentiment that this team needs to show where the leaders are. The guys who will step up in clutch situations and produce. The guys that refuse to lose without a fight. Who leave it all out there. As people have said Covid ripped something out of the club and it’s that winners mentality. Not talking a good game and saying the right things but just going ahead and doing it. I’d say every player on that team is currently faced with adversity and a question mark and they have to decide if they’ll front up, gain a winners mentality or if it’s another season of mediocrity and what if’s.

This should be a season defining moment. Ok challenge cup is gone but they are in a good spot in the league, Conti cup to come so the team really needs to use the motivation of this. Decide what you want. Choke artists or winners. The Penny has to drop at some point if you turn up with an ego and lack of work ethic your done. You have to be the hardest working, most resilient and most ruthless team in the league. End of.

How the team reacts over the next few weeks will define everything about the true character of the group. A few players future with the team at least should get resolved.

moggy#9

I do agree with the sentiment that this team needs to show where the leaders are. The guys who will step up in clutch situations and produce. The guys that refuse to lose without a fight. Who leave it all out there. As people have said Covid ripped something out of the club and it’s that winners mentality. Not talking a good game and saying the right things but just going ahead and doing it. I’d say every player on that team is currently faced with adversity and a question mark and they have to decide if they’ll front up, gain a winners mentality or if it’s another season of mediocrity and what if’s.

This should be a season defining moment. Ok challenge cup is gone but they are in a good spot in the league, Conti cup to come so the team really needs to use the motivation of this. Decide what you want. Choke artists or winners. The Penny has to drop at some point if you turn up with an ego and lack of work ethic your done. You have to be the hardest working, most resilient and most ruthless team in the league. End of.

How the team reacts over the next few weeks will define everything about the true character of the group. A few players future with the team at least should get resolved.
The question of leadership is an interesting one. The players who are in leadership positions are of course senior, but after they inspirational? I wouldn't say so.

When I think of the past, players like matulik, hope , Moria, mcewen and lawless would grab games by the scruff of the neck. The only player who seems to come close in terms of heart today is Brandt, but he's still maturing and isn't a top 6 guy.

The thing about bringing more experienced players onto the team is that they understood what was necessary to perform consistently at a high level. I get the desire for youth, but I wonder if it's that level of maturity and focus that we're missing.

I'd we had to fail in one thing this season, then I'd choose the challenge cup. That said, if the club think Xmas is going to be a break for them, or they don't take the continental cup seriously every single shift, then Pete Russell is going to have to make his on some threats.

Totally agree!
It's pretty much what I’ve written previously although nuanced slightly differently. This must be a watershed moment when we decide to either step up or step back!
We must take elimination from the CC as the time when we collectively say "No. Enough is enough, we draw a line here, we must all do better, we must all work harder, we must all be accountable to each other both on the ice and off it!"

Nothing less than 100% commitment will do in a league where, by and large the talent pool is relatively equally spread, it’s hard work and attention to detail that makes all the difference!
No team in this league, including Sheffield is good enough to think that talent alone will win out!

The harder you work, the luckier you become!

Do agree to the sentiment above to a large extent, that said, when at home it is a bit of a 2 way street between players and fans. The arena has felt a bit flat for a few months now, even when winning. I move around the stadium a lot, and outside of block 13 and their neighbours its often really quiet. Yes it's on the players to get up and deliver for the fans to have something to cheer about but I'm sure we've all been to games previously where the atmosphere from the go feels like it's elevating everyone on the ice, encouraging those 50/50 wins and hard hits. Having an arena the size of the Vindico should be a good thing for the noise to carry but not feeling it a lot this year

Do agree to the sentiment above to a large extent, that said, when at home it is a bit of a 2 way street between players and fans. The arena has felt a bit flat for a few months now, even when winning. I move around the stadium a lot, and outside of block 13 and their neighbours its often really quiet. Yes it's on the players to get up and deliver for the fans to have something to cheer about but I'm sure we've all been to games previously where the atmosphere from the go feels like it's elevating everyone on the ice, encouraging those 50/50 wins and hard hits. Having an arena the size of the Vindico should be a good thing for the noise to carry but not feeling it a lot this year
I take your point regarding the perceived lack of atmosphere at games compared with dare I say it, pre-covid times.

As a discussion point may I offer a couple of possible factors.
It is evident that the Club has actively sought out the "Saturday Night Out" supporters and the casual "walk ups" of which there seems to be a significant amount, there even seems to be more youngsters than in, here I go again, pre-covid times.
Now whilst we need to fill the arena and sell merchandise more than ever before maybe the downside is that the "casual walk ups and Saturday Night" revellers don’t have the "buy in" and in many cases don’t see a game against Fife as any different to a game against Belfast for instance and a visit to the Devils is for them, much the same as as a visit to the cinema.

Another reason maybe that we used to be renowned as a team that came out of the blocks quickly with a heavy relentless forecheck and quite often would be 3 up on the likes of Sheffield in the opening period and therefore maintained the crowd level of interaction.
The last couple of seasons we have been just as likely to have the tables turned on us and been 2 or 3 goals down in the 1st period thus killing off any positivity in the crowd.

Like many things in life it’s probably a combination of a number of factors but the best way to get the crowd involved and to keep them involved is to give them something to shout and scream about early doors!

There’s an old saying in sport that as an away team you "take the crowd out of the game early" and you get an easier ride!

Thats a great point to be fair - we have to play our part too your absolutely right!

Rempel16

I think the mentality of the organisation is summed up in the social media that we have seen this week.... Today's being a prime example - something to do with cotton wool balls whilst blindfolded. The players are having a great time, all fun and smiles.... It's almost like they're enjoying a holiday.

I'm all for such interaction when the time is right... But to show such joviality in the week that we've been eliminated from a cup competition, shows that perhaps the organisation doesn't give a shit about winning either???

ASHIPP

What distinguishes winners and champions is the ruthless streak, the determination and will power to get results ....and it's relentless.
It bonds teams, players feel they are on a crusade with fellow team members.
They don't all need to be superstars, but the mindset raises everybody's ability, chemistry and determination.
The leadership on the team then becomes indistinguishable.....because everyone is motivated to drive and lead.

I remember a few seasons ago a Belfast double header when our team was wracked with injuries and a key player (think it was Andrew Hotham?) was suspended. These games were must-wins and Giants were on a winning streak themselves. In the SSE Arena, a place detested by our Club and fans because we virtually always lost on those trips, that Devils' team won both games.
Determination, leadership, ruthlessness.

moggy#9

I think the mentality of the organisation is summed up in the social media that we have seen this week.... Today's being a prime example - something to do with cotton wool balls whilst blindfolded. The players are having a great time, all fun and smiles.... It's almost like they're enjoying a holiday.

I'm all for such interaction when the time is right... But to show such joviality in the week that we've been eliminated from a cup competition, shows that perhaps the organisation doesn't give a shit about winning either???
To be honest, the club's social media presence is a joke. It is frivolous at best and disrespectful at worst. On top of that, having the players doing these ridiculous challenges just adds to the holiday or school day out atmosphere. Having fun is one thing, but what we see every week on Facebook and Twitter guess beyond.

moggy#9

I take your point regarding the perceived lack of atmosphere at games compared with dare I say it, pre-covid times.

As a discussion point may I offer a couple of possible factors.
It is evident that the Club has actively sought out the "Saturday Night Out" supporters and the casual "walk ups" of which there seems to be a significant amount, there even seems to be more youngsters than in, here I go again, pre-covid times.
Now whilst we need to fill the arena and sell merchandise more than ever before maybe the downside is that the "casual walk ups and Saturday Night" revellers don’t have the "buy in" and in many cases don’t see a game against Fife as any different to a game against Belfast for instance and a visit to the Devils is for them, much the same as as a visit to the cinema.

Another reason maybe that we used to be renowned as a team that came out of the blocks quickly with a heavy relentless forecheck and quite often would be 3 up on the likes of Sheffield in the opening period and therefore maintained the crowd level of interaction.
The last couple of seasons we have been just as likely to have the tables turned on us and been 2 or 3 goals down in the 1st period thus killing off any positivity in the crowd.

Like many things in life it’s probably a combination of a number of factors but the best way to get the crowd involved and to keep them involved is to give them something to shout and scream about early doors!

There’s an old saying in sport that as an away team you "take the crowd out of the game early" and you get an easier ride!
This is an interesting point. Back in the wnir we had a proper hockey crowd. They were knowledgeable in the game, focussed on the play and keen to discuss it in Gretzky's afterwards.

These days I've often sat near people who carry on non hockey conversations all the way through matches. I've seen people who are more interested in their drinking session than the game. On top of all that the presentation seems more like a circus or a wrestling match than hockey.

Surely the aim is to turn more people into proper hockey fans than to turn a quick dime with people who don't care. Dedicated hockey fans will buy the merch (no matter how tacky), will buy streams and convert their mates. The only comment you'll get from some of this crowd is how the bar prices compare.

Mooney#16

I’m actually going to disagree in regards to a lot of the off ice this season. I think it’s got significantly better. I think the media foot print has been a lot more inclusive and up until Wednesday there has been a lot of positivity around the club and better connection to the team. I don’t really have an issue with the guys having fun off ice. It’s the on ice that matters. And unfortunately they came up short in a big game. What I want to see is which players react positively and look like they have taken it personally. Any that mail it in the next few weeks then they can gladly leave as they simply aren’t championship winning players.

Wannabe2

Difficult to argue with this comment, we are all pissed off having been knocked out of a cup, and the players are ponsing about playing games. Don’t remember any other devils teams taking the piss two days after a shit performance. Maybe a sign of the times.

I am expecting 4pts and 2 good performances this weekend, if not then changes have to be made for us to have ay chance of silverware this season.

This is an interesting point. Back in the wnir we had a proper hockey crowd. They were knowledgeable in the game, focussed on the play and keen to discuss it in Gretzky's afterwards.

These days I've often sat near people who carry on non hockey conversations all the way through matches. I've seen people who are more interested in their drinking session than the game. On top of all that the presentation seems more like a circus or a wrestling match than hockey.

Surely the aim is to turn more people into proper hockey fans than to turn a quick dime with people who don't care. Dedicated hockey fans will buy the merch (no matter how tacky), will buy streams and convert their mates. The only comment you'll get from some of this crowd is how the bar prices compare.
Those were the days, your opening paragraph got me all misty eyed over "Old Time Hockey",alas gone but not forgotten.

The only thing I might add to your comments is that maybe, as a club it’s a lot easier to manage the expectations of those who don’t care and you certainly won’t be held accountable for the product on the ice.

The hardcore supporters of the Club and the Red Army travelling support to away games in the EIHL but especially in European competitions are second to none and are the envy of many if not all of our rivals but alongside the Red Army we do seem to have enlisted a "Prawn Sandwich Brigade" who to paraphrase Roy Keane, "don’t seem to know what’s going on, on the ice!"

Last edited: