Devils Vs Clan - CC 1/4 Final - 13th Dec 23 - 19:30 FO

Swarley

Soft hockey won't win trophies, yes lots of games played in a short space of time but zero fight to win tonight, defence looked lost, zero chemistry on the lines.

Conti cup could be embarrassing if they play like this.

Justtw

4 games in 8 days....a game too far. TK and our organisation won't be happy though....potential lost revenue from semi final that won't happen.

The upside is that the Team can concentrate fully on the other competitions where they do stand a chance and can build consistency.

The Challenge Cup format badly needs an overhaul and it's continuation into the New Year just congests a busy schedule. No one ever remembers who was in the quarter finals or semi finals or the runner up in the Final. Clan or any opposition most likely will be destroyed by the Steelers anyway who seem unstoppable at the moment.
Well said and totally agree. I'd obviously want us to win everything but if it's the CC that suffers, so be it. Obviously the moaners will complain but that makes for a good morning coffee read.

Hedd Wyn John

One of the worst devils performance's I seen in awhile rudderless pp and toothless attack we won't win anything this year ,not enough grit in this line up!!
They looked poor, very poor. Can't think of any real positives to take away. Another season with no silverware is looking increasingly likely. That game didn't go out with a bang, it ended with a whimper. Very deflating.

Last edited:

Devils86

"No nights off. Not on my hockey team and not in our culture"...Really? Doesn't look like that...

All very good talking the talk, and having a bit of a moan at each other for the cameras. But if PR comes out with his more recent lines in the post game I'd be surprised. Awful.

No fight. No cohesion. No quality. And nobody who wanted to lead that team. Our boys have been told that a PP is supposed to be our advantage right?

As bad a performance as I have seen in the post Lord era. Devoid of any positives.

Actually, one positive - only 1,000 people there to witness it.

Nobody had a good game. Tired or not. Not good enough.

I won't hide it: I wanted to win the CC. I want to win every competition. I'll treat that as one of the 5 free games that a ST provides and I feel sorry for anybody who paid to watch that.

But hey, all forgiven if we beat Stars on Saturday, right....

No off nights? "You owe me one lads"....no they owe 1,000 Devils fans one because the players didn't turn up.

"No nights off. Not on my hockey team and not in our culture"...Really? Doesn't look like that...

All very good talking the talk, and having a bit of a moan at each other for the cameras. But if PR comes out with his more recent lines in the post game I'd be surprised. Awful.

No fight. No cohesion. No quality. And nobody who wanted to lead that team. Our boys have been told that a PP is supposed to be our advantage right?

As bad a performance as I have seen in the post Lord era. Devoid of any positives.

I won't hide it: I wanted to win the CC. I want to win every competition. I'll treat that as one of the 5 free games that a ST provides and I feel sorry for anybody who paid to watch that.

No off nights? "You owe me one lads"....no they owe 1,000 Devils fans one because the players didn't turn up.
Spot on with your post,I was looking through our roster and thinking we looked lost and no fire or passion was there tonight

jimmy snels

Well I'm not impressed at all.
I can take losing but I can't stand lack of effort and a few of the same candidates just aren't trying.
I'm at a point where I'd put cox on a plane home and get in a front line player. Genuinely. The effort level is so so low and accepting it is just setting a low standard from a senior player. The drop off is marketable from last season.
That however was not one players fault and the boos at the end were thoroughly deserved.
We've replaced mark Louis with a completely non physical D team, and other than Brant Davies duggan we can't seem to throw a hit in the forwards.

ASHIPP

Well they do have to beat the Stars to up keep the pressure on Steelers. The Challenge Cup will be long forgotten by then!

Earnie

No point complaining about the CC format now just because we are out of it .
As others have said - one game too far combined with hopeless power plays!

I can take losing but I can't stand lack of effort and a few of the same candidates just aren't trying.
I'm at a point where I'd put cox on a plane home and get in a front line player. Genuinely. The effort level is so so low and accepting it is just setting a low standard from a senior player. The drop off is marketable from last season.
That however was not one players fault and the boos at the end were thoroughly deserved.
We've replaced mark Louis with a completely non physical D team, and other than Brant Davies duggan we can't seem to throw a hit in the forwards.
I take mark Louis over river rhymsha all day .He just offers nothing

E.D.S.

Remember when Brandt used to throw hits?

As most have said, a game too far and I'd rather we faltered in the CCup than the league but fatigue or no fatigue that powerplay sucks ass. Deeply concerning to see a coach unable to turn it around. It's dire. Lacking ideas and that sits firmly with PR.

Credit to Glasgow. What a road game. They blocked everything. Kelly had a good game for them as did Reddick.

ASHIPP

No Joey, no Chad....players who would at least have played with energy, conviction and influence tonight.

Remember the days when our PP was the envy of the League...slick, cohesive, fast and our players figured out how to beat the goalie.
Time to get the old video footage out of our Team's best games under Lordo. The pp was nailed.

Devils86

The thing with Cox is that he was dross, so was dropped, and then came back on fire - exactly what you want and how it should work. What the hell was he thinking not taking the shot tonight when one-on-one. From fire to zero confidence in the blink of an eye.

I wouldnt send him home but let's not pretend that this team have no nights off. And there are far too many players who have been in this league for long enough to understand that, but still turn in half a performance.

It wasn't a "well we tried but it wasn't our night" type game, it was devoid of anything. What is the point of playing a million games in the group stage to just not bother in the knockouts?

Gavevs88

This is spot on, absolute shocker of a performance, how can you spend almost an entire period on a powerplay and not score a goal?? They kept looking for the pass and highlight reel goal, instead of keeping it simple, getting pucks on net etc, woeful evening.

Wannabe2

There was no lack of effort tonight, we just weren’t good enough by a country mile, there was no sign of tiredness but plenty of signs that we ain’t that good. Consistency we don’t have any plus we were all over the shop tonight. We missed Joey,s leadership big time, that loss tonight cost the club a minimum of 45K unfortunately, this team is a 3rd/4th position team we have a pretty lousy defence, and need 1-2 new faces to spark things up. Hate saying this but Steelers are the team to beat, and have consistency without a doubt, we are missing a few good players thru injury etc, but our D won’t win this team much.

Devils86

Well they do have to beat the Stars to up keep the pressure on Steelers. The Challenge Cup will be long forgotten by then!
Not for me, No way can the organisation try and push the line "no nights off" anymore.
I take mark Louis over river rhymsha all day .He just offers nothing
Whilst thoroughly annoyed at tonight I would say that I would have Lou back, BUT Rhymsha isn't his replacement. Rhymsha is an upgrade on Thompson, who was proper awful.

kingmo19.1

I don’t buy the tiredness number! Hey, it’s 4 line hockey these days, not 2 like in the Heineken era!

We were shite with no fight ( nice poem that!) and with a non functioning PP what do you expect ?

Time for Russell to earn his £££££

Forget the bring Lou back - that’s not happening any time soon!