Devils Vs Clan - CC 1/4 Final - 13th Dec 23 - 19:30 FO

august04 2.0

I'm sure some will say “it’s only the Challenge Cup” and we can concentrate on winning the league, Conti Cup etc. But does anyone seriously think that this team will win anything worthwhile? Absolutely no chance. There are the usual suspects, who coast through games and very often go missing during the big ones. It’s happened for two and a half seasons now, same players. They're flat track bullies, perform well against the dross but nowhere to be seen when the going gets tough. Time for the owners to grow some balls and make a change or two.

tod will disagree, he has the best name in hockey ;)[/
Not for me, No way can the organisation try and push the line "no nights off" anymore.

Whilst thoroughly annoyed at tonight I would say that I would have Lou back, BUT Rhymsha isn't his replacement. Rhymsha is an upgrade on Thompson, who was proper awful.
River is just as bad as Thompson in my eyes.River offers zero physicality just a power puff d man ,god I miss hotham.

Devil94

I mean Cox is clearly not the issue. He's our top point scorer across all competitions.

Might be controversial but I'm not too sad to be out of the cup. The lack of revenue from the semi sucks from a business point of view, but hockey wise it gives us a breather down the line.

Of the 4 competitions we are in it's the one that I'm happy to let go, and I think probably not having to play another 2 potentially 3 game 7 intensity games gives us a better shot at the other 3. I would have taken the 2 league points in Glasgow last week over tonight.

I have no issue losing to a better team, but we just did not turn up.
I just don't understand it, we have players who looked to be shattered towards the end however we keep putting the same lines on.

Our 4th line been sooo good this season and has scored quite a few, fight for the puck and we keep pushing the same shit, I am sorry but Cox didn't look to give a shit tonight, he must be carrying an injury! He also blocked so many on Twitter(devils Fans) so not sure what going on there.

Our PP looks to have been found out by all the teams this season, they know we are going to do the pass back, gobsmacked i can even say it but it looks worse than last season.

The perfect pass/looking for the perfect shot needs to be addressed, Cox(i think) was one on one with the goalie and passes. Last season we got a big body in front of the net and PP started to work. Did Russell find Dupont PP book and start using it??

We just didn't have fire in our belly's, we have no one who can back the team, An big body like Sol starts to throw his weight, we don't have any one who can/will back it up. As soon as the bigger body teams come to cardiff, we get bullied! We are not an European team/style, nor is our league so that type of play is not going to work week in week out.

We need a Mikkelson, Strachen, type of defender who can really help our other young D.

I mean Cox is clearly not the issue. He's our top point scorer across all competitions.

Might be controversial but I'm not too sad to be out of the cup. The lack of revenue from the semi sucks from a business point of view, but hockey wise it gives us a breather down the line.

Of the 4 competitions we are in it's the one that I'm happy to let go, and I think probably not having to play another 2 potentially 3 game 7 intensity games gives us a better shot at the other 3. I would have taken the 2 league points in Glasgow last week over tonight.
I think the issue is Cox looked tonight that he didn't give a shit, I really do not agree with that, that is sending the wrong message to the players. Aim is to win everything, to be the best you have to win it all, look at Belfast last season as an example. The way we are playing we will not win any of the 4 cups, so the CC could of been our best chance

A lot of people will say/are saying that they don’t mind being out of this competition because it gives us more time to concentrate on the league.
Well, that’s bollocks because it’s not a couple of nights off this team needs, it’s consistency and desire to play every night. You know, the sort of thing we used to see from a Devils team!

Too often again this season we take nights off and follow up on good performances with abject performances, we’re a 'cup team' again unfortunately, not having the quality or staying power to win a league title.
Clearly PP stands for Piss Poor and our lightweight forwards take too many nights off contributing very little, losing Barrow cost us our only threat down the middle driving the net so it’s no wonder we struggle to find the consistency we need.

I left half way through the 3rd after we went 3-1 down as you could not see us having enough about us to dig ourselves out of the hole we rolled over into.

Did I expect us to win the league this year? No but I did expect us to compete every night!
Two things can happen from here, either PR earns his money (along with most of this roster) and turns this team into a team that doesn’t take nights off and shows some fight, or this season will just fizzle out like the last couple.

What’s it to be Pete?

The issue is, we are too nice, predictable and easy to play against at the moment . Really not enjoying this non contact sport that used to be hockey. We have built a team of show pony’s with no grit and fight. Works and looks good when things go our way but once teams work us out it’s easy pickings.

Hedd Wyn John

No Joey, no Chad....players who would at least have played with energy, conviction and influence tonight.

Remember the days when our PP was the envy of the League...slick, cohesive, fast and our players figured out how to beat the goalie.
Time to get the old video footage out of our Team's best games under Lordo. The pp was nailed.
All the passes seemed to be off target so players couldn't get one timer shots off.

Kevlar68

Agreed. Since then, we haven't had a main core of players, it's been an unsettled couple of years with players in and out with some not even completing a season.

I thought Alex Roach for the Clan was excellant last night , he bullied any devils player that came near him
He played big ,nasty and strong and not all within the rules the same as Simon Despres of the Panthers
Unfortunately we don't have any players like that

With all these injuries we have why isn't Ben Davies playing further up the lines
Maybe his hard working never give up work ethic would rub off onto our star forwards ( Sanford not included )

Pembo

Lines have been disrupted by injuries when they were finding some chemistry, just come off a 4 point weekend and Clan are legit this season especially with the return of Combs. Sanford and Alderson hitting post and bar, if those had gone in the mood would be different. I think the concerns about taking an Arsenal approach of trying to pass around to score the perfect goal rather than shoot are legit in recent weeks and reminiscent of BD era. Not sure if confidence thing or lack of real goal threat through the centre. Cox isn’t the problem despite a few mistakes last game and shouldn’t be scapegoated.

It’s all very well saying they’ve just come off a great weekend (which it was) but prior to that was another poor weekend. Maybe, only picking out the odd individual performance is unfair as the problem is more complex than that but poor form has to be challenged.
You win as a team and you lose as a team, however individuals must take responsibility for their own contributions, there has to be accountability!