Devils Vs Blaze - League - 22nd Dec 21

jenks33

I know Skalde gets a bit of stick for his interviews but fair play he didn’t hold back tonight. He said we were awful and terrible and questioned our compete level. The angriest he’s been in an interview this season for me.

Which players do you think he’s particularly fed up with? Dupont is the obvious one but there’s probably 3 or 4 others that he’s had enough of.

august04 2.0

I know Skalde gets a bit of stick for his interviews but fair play he didn’t hold back tonight. He said we were awful and terrible and questioned our compete level. The angriest he’s been in an interview this season for me.

Which players do you think he’s particularly fed up with? Dupont is the obvious one but there’s probably 3 or 4 others that he’s had enough of.
He could pick from the whole roster tonight!

CaldicotDevil

This team lacks leadership & accountability. I love Richie to bits and think his jersey should be retired once he’s finished playing but I don’t think he was the right choose for captain. If Skaldes a quieter coach that’s fine but you need a vocal captain to counteract it. You watch a game ands there’s nothing on and off the ice. No barking at refs, no getting the boys going, just no passion in general. It can’t be a nice environment to play in.

jenks33

He could pick from the whole roster tonight!
It’s just not happening is it. As I said earlier I think the players probably like Skalde as a bloke but they look like a team that aren’t enjoying their hockey and don’t have trust in the game plan. And to be honest I think it’s been like that for months

Hedd Wyn John

This team lacks leadership & accountability. I love Richie to bits and think his jersey should be retired once he’s finished playing but I don’t think he was the right choose for captain. If Skaldes a quieter coach that’s fine but you need a vocal captain to counteract it. You watch a game ands there’s nothing on and off the ice. No barking at refs, no getting the boys going, just no passion in general. It can’t be a nice environment to play in.
They can play for the last 5 minutes so I don't think the Captain is the issue.

The Blaze have had our number all season, its not just this night we've struggled against them.

Ocko

Clearly a bad performance, we’ve been slumping for weeks - although maybe that’s our level.

To focus on a positive; Josh Lammon. I thought for a long time he wasn’t up to it but he’s one of the few I’m happy to be proven wrong with. Works his bollocks off every shift and makes his hits. His confidence has grown and he’s been rewarded with a few goals and apples.

Can’t say much about the others but kudos to him for not giving up.

jenks33

They can play for the last 5 minutes so I don't think the Captain is the issue.

The Blaze have had our number all season, its not just this night we've struggled against them.
Yeah I agree with that. If you look at our head to head vs Coventry this season you’d think we have been the slightly better team in that series but I’m not sure we have been.

Slartibartfast

If you ever want a demonstration of how not to play hockey that was it. Never first to the puck. Never taking the body. Never in position to to receive the puck making break outs hard. Not marking the man. Leaving opposition in the slot with all the time in the world to bury the puck. Passes behind the man instead of to the stick. And going offside time and time again.
But the most annoying thing is the laziness. We had two delay of games penalties because they just wanted to get rid of the puck rather than doing some useful with it.
We played great for about 5 minutes and that was it.
I agree about Lammon. Only he and Ben Davies seemed to put any effort in.
This is like watching rec hockey. I can count the checks thrown on one hand.

matbur

Most disappointing aspect of tonight was that this was the last home game in front of fans for god knows how long, and they were still flat.

Rebuilds are extremely difficult to pull off, especially with the sheer amount of new players establishing themselves on and off the ice from scratch, but it just isn't working with the current group of players - the mentality, drive and focus just isn't there.

I don't expect too much to change between now and end of season for obvious reasons but fully expect there to be a second phase of the rebuild next summer. The people running this team aren't stupid. It's going to take a bit of time.

RedDevil17

At the start I’d have taken Register back in a heartbeat, but he’s been crap for weeks.

DuPont I’m just not sure what to say anymore - absolutely useless.

Mikkelson I’ve found to be average, maybe slightly above average (being paired with O Connor hasn’t helped mind).

As for tonight’s performance, absolutely pathetic. Horrific to watch, rather watch paint dry.

At least show some passion and fight for the badge on the shirt. Tonight I saw anything but that. Need to make some hits and show you can actually be arsed.

If we didn’t have Carruth and Reid, we’d be even more screwed than we are currently. Glad we’re having a little break - much needed

august04 2.0

Most disappointing aspect of tonight was that this was the last home game in front of fans for god knows how long, and they were still flat.

Rebuilds are extremely difficult to pull off, especially with the sheer amount of new players establishing themselves on and off the ice from scratch, but it just isn't working with the current group of players - the mentality, drive and focus just isn't there.

I don't expect too much to change between now and end of season for obvious reasons but fully expect there to be a second phase of the rebuild next summer. The people running this team aren't stupid. It's going to take a bit of time.
Really not sure I’d want Skalde in charge of player recruitment for the next stage of the so called “rebuild”. Not if this year is anything to go by. This is not a Devils team.

terry hunt

We cant blame O'Connor for that.
I thought we had lots of chances but failed to take them.
The Blaze deseved the win they at least fight for each other and work their socks off.
I think its all been said now and some of these players dont want to be here.

Rhyan48

Glad of a brake tbh with you ! It’s way to boring worst devils team I have watched in a very long time ! I go to every game knowing I’m not going to be exited , like has all ready been said there is no passion and there is a lot of players that should not be in the team ! Maby the talent is there but something is not rite maby it’s the main man him self with the coaching but it’s a bore fest and glad I won’t be down there for a while never thought I would say that ! Wish the team showed us passion like all the fans show them but even the atmosphere in the rink is terrible can hear a pin drop

matbur

Really not sure I’d want Skalde in charge of player recruitment for the next stage of the so called “rebuild”. Not if this year is anything to go by. This is not a Devils team.
Difficult to know how much of it is down to him isn't it? Obviously he's responsible for results but it's becoming increasingly evident Skalde's patience is wearing thin with the team.

Bringing in so many players in one go is exceptionally difficult. Not getting this right first time around is not necessarily a major failing in my view and I suspect the owners would feel the same after going through their recruitment process to appoint him.

Five or six changes could give the team a completely different chemistry.

Bought the webcast and have to say I was disappointed with the overall performance. Too many face offs lost. Too many passes going astray. Too many one man rushes being robbed too easily. Too many hopeful dumps and chase by lightweight forwards. Too indecisive with the PP.
Unlike others on this thread, I thought there was plenty of effort from most players, with one very clear exception, but they didn't look like a cohesive team.
It was certainly a struggle tonight but credit has to be given to Coventry who had clear tactics, stuck to their game plan and deserved to win.
Hope lessons can be learned and confidence restored in time for the next game.

Hedd Wyn John

If you ever want a demonstration of how not to play hockey that was it. Never first to the puck. Never taking the body. Never in position to to receive the puck making break outs hard. Not marking the man. Leaving opposition in the slot with all the time in the world to bury the puck. Passes behind the man instead of to the stick. And going offside time and time again.
But the most annoying thing is the laziness. We had two delay of games penalties because they just wanted to get rid of the puck rather than doing some useful with it.
We played great for about 5 minutes and that was it.
I agree about Lammon. Only he and Ben Davies seemed to put any effort in.
This is like watching rec hockey. I can count the checks thrown on one hand.
You summed that up well. They never seemed to win a face off either but I whole heartedly agree with the marking. Blaze players had acres of space & hardly any physical contest for them.

Hedd Wyn John

Bought the webcast and have to say I was disappointed with the overall performance. Too many face offs lost. Too many passes going astray. Too many one man rushes being robbed too easily. Too many hopeful dumps and chase by lightweight forwards. Too indecisive with the PP.
Unlike others on this thread, I thought there was plenty of effort from most players, with one very clear exception, but they didn't look like a cohesive team.
It was certainly a struggle tonight but credit has to be given to Coventry who had clear tactics, stuck to their game plan and deserved to win.
Hope lessons can be learned and confidence restored in time for the next game.
Coventry weren't even that good.